Author Topic: Components you wish existed.  (Read 35715 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
Re: Components you wish existed.
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2017, 03:41:22 am »
Multimeter with a voice output so you don't have to look at the display.
Alternatively a multimeter with a remote display like the one on the "Google glass" glasses.

Wouldn't be difficult to create, plenty of meters out there with data outputs...
M0UAW

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:59 am »
Not a component but a DSO that has similar screen resolution to a good tablet and a 16, or dare I say, a 24 bit D/A.  No, I don't need one, I just want one. Today's DSO screens are the equivalent of old timey CGA screens, like looking at the world through flywire.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:20:56 am by Circlotron »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2017, 10:41:52 am »
Any multimeter that has a serial out should be easy to hook up to a text to speech app.

You just need some way to tell it when to sample, voice would be best.
I'm surprised that none of the handheld meters have that, it sounds as if it would likely be easy to implement.

Similarly with the AVR Transistor tester. It would be cool to have it be able to tell you verbally what the component was.

Quote from: CJay on Today at 11:41:22>Quote from: e100 on Today at 09:28:50
Multimeter with a voice output so you don't have to look at the display.
Alternatively a multimeter with a remote display like the one on the "Google glass" glasses.

Wouldn't be difficult to create, plenty of meters out there with data outputs...
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59:24 pm »
My Tandy/Radio Shack MICRONTA meter from the 1980/90s? had a voice synth for reading out the values via special probes with a voice switch to activate it (similar to the Fluke 1507/1587 switch probes)

Worked great till the crappy cable with microscopic breakable wires died,
I tried to bodge it to work, and gave up  |O  as I just got a Fluke 87 and 8060A and was busy playing with those :-DMM :-DMM and forgot about the Tandy meter lol.   

It wasn't a bad meter either, had glass -NRC- fuse fitted (lol)  and did work with standard multimeter leads.

I'm a bit more electro savvy nowadays, if it surfaces I will diagnose and repair the sucker and get it talking again   :-/O  :blah: :blah: :blah:

------------------------

UPDATE EDIT: EEVblog member a few posts further down has located a video with the exact meter I mentioned, thanks    :-+

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:06:32 am by Electro Detective »

Offline e100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2017, 02:03:28 pm »
Regarding voice output for multimeters, is there enough physical/electrical/data commonality between multimeter data outputs to be able to make a generic product, or would it need to be customised for each model? My Bryman multimeter has an optical interface but I don't know how common or interchangeable this is.

Kickstarter anyone? I would buy one for sure.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2017, 05:15:56 pm »
Any multimeter that has a serial out should be easy to hook up to a text to speech app.

You just need some way to tell it when to sample, voice would be best.
I'm surprised that none of the handheld meters have that, it sounds as if it would likely be easy to implement.

Depends how you use the meter, if it's got a hold mode then the changing data can trigger it, if you don't want hold mode then some kind of 'RF' button, just a pulse of 433MHz or even one of those dodgy little 'selfie' buttons on the probe, plenty of options to explore
M0UAW

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2017, 05:26:05 pm »
Regarding voice output for multimeters, is there enough physical/electrical/data commonality between multimeter data outputs to be able to make a generic product, or would it need to be customised for each model? My Bryman multimeter has an optical interface but I don't know how common or interchangeable this is.

I'd guess the physical interface is a fairly minor thing, AFAIK they're all serial out over some interface so a bunch of interface 'modules' feeding a speech box that 'talks' the various protocols?

I'm in for the kickstarter too, I like the idea even if I've not got a regular use for it.
M0UAW

Offline e100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2017, 05:59:24 pm »

I'd guess the physical interface is a fairly minor thing..

Based on the only one I've seen, if you don't already have a cable kit from the manufacturer, it's going to need a custom 3d printed or injection molded part that slots into the body of the multimeter so that the Tx Rx LEDs line up.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jLoAAOxyUgtTJ-YS/s-l1600.jpg

I have no idea if there is a de facto standard for this sort of thing.

Alternatively to save cost it could just have a DB9 or USB connector, leaving the customer to supply the correct interface cable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:56:07 pm by e100 »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:47 pm »

I'd guess the physical interface is a fairly minor thing..

Based on the only one I've seen, if you don't already have a cable kit from the manufacturer, it's going to need a custom 3 printed or injection molded part that slots into the body of the multimeter so that the Tx Rx LEDs line up.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jLoAAOxyUgtTJ-YS/s-l1600.jpg

I have no idea if there is a de facto standard for this sort of thing.

Alternatively to save cost it could just have a DB9 or USB connector, leaving to the customer to supply the correct interface cable.

Bad wording on my part, I was meaning the transport (as in PHY, the physical layer) will be IR, RF, Serial, USB or some variant of such and fairly trivial to interface but I'd not expect the mechanical attachment across brands to be standard.

It may well be possible to 3D print clones and I'd take that route at least at first though I doubt it'd be mass market enough to warrant having molds made if the connector wasn't 'off the shelf'.

M0UAW

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2017, 12:24:45 am »
regarding the 4-pin PWM-device: something like an ATtiny5/6/9? it comes in a 6-pin SOT23 package, compelet with 8-bit ADC and 16-bit PWM  :)

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2017, 07:04:09 am »
Ummm, diode, mosfet, & MLCCs (say just 100nF to begin with) in x4 and x8 arrays.

Alan
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Offline ZaneKaminski

• Contributor
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »
A digital scope with waveform update rate constrained only by the sample rate of the scope, i.e. no dead time between acquisitions. Therefore the scope could capture every single trigger-worthy event occurring and combine into a single intensity-graded waveform picture.

Large-value (~10 uF) *medium* ESR ceramic capacitors. Most existing ones have frustratingly low ESR for bypassing applications.

BJT-type device with tightly controlled gain factor between individual devices, over a wide temperature range, etc. Also for there to exist common values for gain.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »
Large-value (~10 uF) *medium* ESR ceramic capacitors. Most existing ones have frustratingly low ESR for bypassing applications.
Is there any reason that simply adding a resistor in series won't work?

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2017, 02:37:45 pm »

Not if your control loop is properly designed. There are tons of LDO/SMPS controllers that can operate at nearly zero ESR, as long as they're designed properly.

Offline uwezi

• Supporter
    • GreenPhotons
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2017, 06:58:50 pm »
Regarding the multimeter with voice output - those were around already in the mid 1990s - a friend had one and it was just annoying, like everything with a voice output which would babble around all the time, unasked for...

Most of my modern multimeters have "auto-power-off" which is equally annoying!

Offline e100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »
Regarding the multimeter with voice output - those were around already in the mid 1990s - a friend had one and it was just annoying, like everything with a voice output which would babble around all the time, unasked for...

The trick is to make it speak at the right time. For bench use, a simple momentary foot switch would do the job.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:49:58 pm by e100 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2017, 08:44:25 pm »

Not if your control loop is properly designed. There are tons of LDO/SMPS controllers that can operate at nearly zero ESR, as long as they're designed properly.

What's that got to do with the price of fish? There are plenty of places one needs some bypassing (with the damping of moderate ESR) that are nowhere near a PSU or its control loop, or a control loop of any kind.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2017, 09:20:05 pm »
Primary and rechargeable batteries, at reasonable cost, which are guaranteed (and really) never leak.

Electrolytic Capacitors (i.e. low cost, relatively high capacitance value) which DON'T leak and/or significantly deteriorate, over a large number of years.

Ammo roll component strips/reels, which can peel apart by hand, and leave NO residue (similar to post it notes adhesive, or compressed paper friction holding them WITHOUT glue). Which saves having to cut them out (but hence shorter leads), to avoid dealing with sticky residues, or use components NOT in strips (i.e. boxed loose).

More distinctive/standardized ways of indicating polarity on LEDs.

UV ink printing on smaller surface mount components, so more information (such as values, type etc) can be gleamed from them (with a UV torch or similar) when repairing/inspecting, hand prototyping etc.

Linear voltage regulators designed and guaranteed to almost always fail open circuit, at regular prices.

Put in some kind of anti-fake technology, so that fake components can readily be identified, and rejected/replaced.
E.g. Holograms, encrypted info built into chips, security numbers, micro-dot technology, etc etc.
Something really cheap, easy (and low cost) to check for fakes and yet highly difficult/expensive to defeat.
Include manufactured date (via the encryption/hologram etc, as labels could be over-written), so that reused/used components (from scrapped goods) can also be detected.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:22:51 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: PointyOintment

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2017, 12:57:37 am »
Electrolytic Capacitors (i.e. low cost, relatively high capacitance value) which DON'T leak and/or significantly deteriorate, over a large number of years.
Tantalum and aluminum capacitors with solid polymer electrolyte are available. Well known types include Sanyo OS-CON and others.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2017, 03:50:20 am »

Tantalum and aluminum capacitors with solid polymer electrolyte are available. Well known types include Sanyo OS-CON and others.

Solid polymer electrolytic capacitors have their own wearout mechanism; the polymer degrades following the usual Arrhenius equation halving their operating lifetime for every 10C temperature rise.  Their big advantage is lower ESR yielding lower power dissipation and operating temperature.

The closest thing to an electrolytic capacitor which does not wear out is a solid or wet tantalum capacitor (1) but these have their own issues and high price.  In practice an almost arbitrarily long operating life can be gained using normal aluminum electrolytic or polymer electrolytic capacitors with suitable derating.

(1) And niobium oxide capacitors?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Will design for cookies
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2017, 07:12:19 am »
I used niobium oxide caps some years ago... from what I recall they were only available with low-ish voltage ratings. Maybe that's changed now?

(To those who aren't familiar with them, they look like tantalum caps but orange instead of yellow. Functionally they're similar, but with less of a tendency to catch fire when abused).

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2017, 10:40:26 am »
I used niobium oxide caps some years ago... from what I recall they were only available with low-ish voltage ratings. Maybe that's changed now?

That is still the case.  10 volts at 100 microfarads is the largest available and they are only available in surface mount.  Dissipation and leakage are about twice as bad as equivalent solid tantalum capacitors and solid tantalum capacitors can have much lower ESR.  Price is only about 10% better for the same ESR.

Offline Cicada

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2017, 05:56:43 pm »
Great question.

I am looking forward to reading all the posts on this thread.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2017, 11:39:43 am »

Thanks. That is good to know.
They seem to be popular, on better quality motherboards.
At the very least, they get rid of the possibility of the liquid electrolyte leaking, since it would then be solid.

I guess there tendency to have lower max working voltages is fine for usually low voltage motherboard applications, which appreciate the better life expectancy and other characteristic improvements.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf