Author Topic: Looking for an odd thermal pad to hold 10 transistors  (Read 806 times)

Offline cvancTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Looking for an odd thermal pad to hold 10 transistors
« on: July 24, 2019, 02:02:11 pm »
See photo, the pad is 10" x 1" and holds ten TO-247AC transistors (5x IRFP240 and 5x IRFP9240).

I know I could replace this with 10 discrete pads but if you know of a source for a long multi-transistor pad like the original I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for an odd thermal pad to hold 10 transistors
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:24:17 pm »
Lots of thermal materials are available in sheet form, just cut to size and whatever holes you need.  Some can even be laser cut (like Laird's kapton-based thermal films) if you have access to that sort of equipment somewhere, but generally an xacto knife will do the job.

If the transistors are insulated packages as in the photo, you don't necessarily need an isolator, silicone thermal paste (or equivalent) to ensure good thermal contact is all you need.

Offline kjr18

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:10:10 pm »

If the transistors are insulated packages as in the photo, you don't necessarily need an isolator, silicone thermal paste (or equivalent) to ensure good thermal contact is all you need.

These transistors on photo do have a metal thermal pad on it's backside, so isolation is still needed.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:10:57 pm »
Screws will happily penetrate most thermal pad materials, so I don't usually bother in ordering custom cut, or manually cutting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf