Author Topic: Core Memory  (Read 17494 times)

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Core Memory
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:47 am »
That’s an interesting experiment, and cool idea with he lighting detector.
A radio operator might wonder what was going on at home while they were at work,
especially if they forgot to pull the antenna plugs out.

Today I came by some iron ore rocks that stick to magnets, and I tried to make transformers out of them,
but unfortunately they don’t pass a frequency any more than the ringing on the secondary coil
even if the rock is not present as the core.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 06:40:29 pm »
That’s an interesting experiment, and cool idea with he lighting detector.
Probably I will make closer look to this idea, since maybe using the same Hall current sensor shown above I was able store information in such ferrite core about current direction in quite bulky transformer primary, turned off by SCR, so If I were able later read and know its last  current direction, probbaly it could help avoid saturation during next transformer switch on, since we could try watch for mains positive/negative and choose right point to turn this bulky transformer on based on information what was direction of last magnetization flux in transformer core :phew:
We'll see-if it works in practice and if I will be able reduce inrush currents (i've current sensor so I can estimate them and report in this research) in starting transformer core using this tricky way to read ferite  core remanent magnetization  ;)

Forum "brain storms" sometimes leads to interesting findings, even if core memory technology seams to be forgotten, so thanks for creating thread like this  :-+
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 06:42:42 pm by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 01:36:45 pm »
I realise you are the same guy :D
There’s definitely more real life potential and virtue in this, but TC are also fun ;)

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 01:00:30 pm »
Old thread, but.... My core memory talked about first in the earliest posts in this thread has remembered a geolocation for exactly one year today,
which means I couldn’t power it on for a year, or it would be deleted :D

So... the damn thing works!! :D

The following users thanked this post: cpt.armadillo

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 10:09:57 am »
That is why I was interested in demagnetisation, since lighting might be sometimes unusual upward, not downward, so I'd like to be able detect three states of such ferrite toroid core, which was passed by lighting hit to/from ground  :popcorn:

Well you had four years, so I went ahead and tried a square loop core, and a BBQ piezo igniter mechanism to simulate the current pulse to a real Earth rod in the ground, and all appears well :)
The toroid PCB is the only part that has to be mounted outside, and the reader/resetter is only used to read and/or reset the core's magnetisation state.

I’ve heard for some lightning can drive electron current from the Earth, upward too, so it might take two cores to read both types of lightning,
starting with both cores set in opposite directions, and looking for an event that sets them both in the same direction.
I’ll try a proper connection from an antenna mast, to shunt current normally, but I assume enough current would flow through an extra (and thinner) wire too.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:12:07 am by @rt »

Offline Henrik_V

• Regular Contributor
  • “ground” is a convenient fantasy
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2019, 01:42:16 pm »
Here is a wired core ROM (Telefunken?) I happened to find in the 80th.... still somewhere in the attic ..

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

The number you have dialed is imaginary, please turn your phone 90° and dial again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf