Author Topic: Cornell Dubilier - WBR capacitors why so expensive  (Read 1466 times)

Offline JesterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Cornell Dubilier - WBR capacitors why so expensive
« on: April 19, 2020, 03:22:27 pm »
I'm replacing most of the old electrolytic caps in an old piece of test gear and they have used a few 100uF, 50V  that are quite large (1.5" x 0.5") for their value and quite expensive. BOM calls for BR100-50, the actual cap installed is a WBR100-50. This is an 85 deg C cap, 2000hr, ESR3.9  \$\Omega\$, the tolerance is -10 to +150%, but  nothing exotic except the price $10.

In comparison Nichicon TVX1H101MAD are <$2, 1/4 of the size, similar specifications except+/-20%

Or if the +150% is important an Illinois Capacitor 157TTA050M (150uF) $1.46

Why are these so physically large and expensive?

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Cornell Dubilier - WBR capacitors why so expensive
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 04:13:58 pm »
Quite plainly tech got better. Just make sure ESR difference doesn't matter for the place they were used and you should be golden

The following users thanked this post: Jester

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:54:00 pm »
Do check the ripple current rating as well. A physically large capacitor will often have a higher ripple current rating, it has more mass and surface area to dissipate the power.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:04:21 pm »
Re ripple current, I can't find the original data sheet, however the WBR 100-50 , shows 140mA@120Hz and the newer capacitors specify 220mA and 285mA, so I don't see ripple current as an issue.

I have attached the schematic of the circuit,  see C32, with the 3k resistors connected the ESR seems irrelevant. The other two are just bulk capacitance at input of voltage regulators.

JD, good eye I should have noticed, I corrected the schematic

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:33:27 pm by Jester »

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 05:40:57 pm »
Hi Jester,
the polarity of the capacitor C32 is shown incorrectly. It should be negative end to the junction of R99 and R100.

It is a bootstrap circuit that increase the current in R99 when the output swings towards the negative rail.

Jay_Diddy_B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 06:38:38 pm »
Hi Jester,
the polarity of the capacitor C32 is shown incorrectly. It should be negative end to the junction of R99 and R100.

It is a bootstrap circuit that increase the current in R99 when the output swings towards the negative rail.

Jay_Diddy_B

Good eye, I corrected the schematic. Thanks.

I'm going to go with the $1.50 capacitor, makes me wonder why anyone would spend $10 on a capacitor with inferior specifications when a Nichicon or IC is a fraction of the price?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 07:04:23 pm »
Repairing existing equipment? Because they like the brand name? Some other characteristic? It's entirely possible that the original engineer selected a part that was not the most economical available. Cornell Dubilier is a typically expensive brand that has made a lot of high end high quality parts. Whether the cost is justified depends, it's possible that they were excellent parts when designed and now getting a bit old. It's also possible that they were not always so much more expensive, it's common when a manufacture plans to discontinue something to first increase the price to discourage its use.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 08:10:47 pm »
Repairing existing equipment? Because they like the brand name? Some other characteristic? It's entirely possible that the original engineer selected a part that was not the most economical available. Cornell Dubilier is a typically expensive brand that has made a lot of high end high quality parts. Whether the cost is justified depends, it's possible that they were excellent parts when designed and now getting a bit old. It's also possible that they were not always so much more expensive, it's common when a manufacture plans to discontinue something to first increase the price to discourage its use.

Yes, a Clarke-Hess calibrator.

That makes sense, the components are all high quality and they used quite a few CDE caps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf