Author Topic: CR2032 powering a micro, inrush current question ?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline MadScientistTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
CR2032 powering a micro, inrush current question ?
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:43:15 pm »
It has been suggested to me that I need slew rate limiting on the voltage from a CR2032, when the battery is changed as the low ESR caps are discharged and a relative high inrush occurs that can cause ringing leading to the potential to exceed the micros  absolute max voltage

I would have thought the relatively high ESR of a typical CR2032 lithium cell would self limit

whats the collective wisdom on this , The suggestion being to add a SIP32431 inrush/slew rate limiter chip

Thanks
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
Re: CR2032 powering a micro, inrush current question ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 04:03:06 pm »
A coin cell can't provide large current.  In fact, it's been shown many times that you can connect an LED to a coin cell without a current limiting resistor.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 02:24:31 am »
A coin cell can't provide large current.  In fact, it's been shown many times that you can connect an LED to a coin cell without a current limiting resistor.
Not true with rechargeable coin cells, those can supply a surprising amount of current for their size.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 08:07:21 am »
1) why dont you measure it?
2) Very unlikely.
3) Maybe add a TVS diode for good measure, but you should have that in any case, because user touching exposed metal parts in your device.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »
Not true with rechargeable coin cells, those can supply a surprising amount of current for their size.
Yeah, but the C in CR2032 defines the battery chemistry as a lithium manganese dioxide primary cell, so it’s by definition not a rechargeable cell.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 02:19:07 pm »
low ESR caps are discharged and a relative high inrush occurs that can cause ringing leading to the potential to exceed the micros  absolute max voltage

I feel like counter-acting this "problem" with other solutions (like, slew-rate controllers, etc) will cause other problem. If problem is proven to exist, I'd add a soft-start switch made of a mosfet and gate resistor.

PS Afaik ringing requires inductance. Short traces should also help.

Offline MadScientistTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 03:30:12 pm »
Thanks guys
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf