Author Topic: Creating a 5v power OK signal for a Dell power supply  (Read 2612 times)

Offline l7777Topic starter

Creating a 5v power OK signal for a Dell power supply
« on: October 02, 2022, 05:32:38 pm »
Context.  I have a Dell Optiplex 7050 MT with a small 240 watt power supply.  I plan to add a GeForce 1660 ti to it.  A standard ATX power supply can be used to power the system with an adapter cable, I have this working now.  The system appears to only need 12v power.  3.3V and 5V for the external drives come from a MB connector.  The down side of course is that you have a full size ATX power supply hanging out somewhere as it does not fit in the case.

Now the fun part.  Dell makes a 500 watt power supply in the same form factor BUT for some reason it refuses to output the power OK signal when connected to machines older than the 7080 series.  The motherboard connector is very simple with only six wires.  Two +12v lines, two ground/common lines, a PS ON line, and the power OK line.  I want to create a 5v power OK signal from the 12v lines and I'm looking at two options:

• Use a 7805 IC
  • Use an appropriately sized Zener diode and resistor.

What are the pros and cons of each option?  Is there something else I should consider?

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Creating a 5v power OK signal for a Dell power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 06:36:08 pm »
Is the purpose of your "5V power OK" signal the same as the ATX Power-Good signal?

From the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_good_signal

The ATX specification defines the Power-Good signal as a +5-volt (V) signal generated in the power supply when it has passed its internal self-tests and the outputs have stabilized. This normally takes between 0.1 and 0.5 seconds after the power supply is switched on. The signal is then sent to the motherboard, where it is received by the processor timer chip that controls the reset line to the processor.

The ATX specification requires that the power-good signal ("PWR_OK") go high no sooner than 100 ms after the power rails have stabilized, and remain high for 16 ms after loss of AC power, and fall (to less than 0.4 V) at least 1 ms before the power rails fall out of specification (to 95% of their nominal value).

Cheaper and/or lower quality power supplies do not follow the ATX specification of a separate monitoring circuit; they instead wire the power good output to one of the 5 V lines. This means the processor will never reset given bad power unless the 5 V line drops low enough to turn off the trigger, which could be too low for proper operation.

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:17:37 pm »
Yes.  This signal is missing when the 500 watt power supply is connected to the older systems.

It is theorized that the older systems only use one 4 pin CPU connector and the newer systems use two.  The theory further hypothesizes that the power supply senses that the second four pin connector is not connected and as a result never sends the power-good signal causing the system not to boot even though power is available.  The power supplies are made by lite on or Delta, I have a Delta model DPS-500AB-49 A.

Seeing that the adapter cable for a standard ATX power supply doesn't do thing special I'm theorizing that if I can get a 5v signal to the power-good pin on the motherboard I could successfully use the newer and more powerful supply with the older system.  It would be a hack for sure, but I'm not thinking it would be any more of a hack than a standard ATX power supply sitting outside the case.  I was aware that this signal was supposed to wait until power had stabilized but hadn't gotten to figuring out how to properly, or even improperly, do that yet. 

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 08:27:08 pm »
basic resistor divider at 1-2K will do a signal presence

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 08:33:23 pm »
basic resistor divider at 1-2K will do a signal presence
Thank you.  Can you expand on this?  Maybe with what components are involved and how you came to a 1-2k resistance value?  I'm still educating myself on such things.

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 09:23:05 pm »
 that kind of signal sense usually high impedance, means it need fraction of mA to feed, basically voltage potential.  so you make voltage divider that will output 5v from 12v and don't dissipate heat too much.  i may guess precise 5V also no necessary as 3-5V may work as well , you may start with 2 equal  like 30K-50K  and see if it will work as 30K resistor high enough to not burn something, and 6V over 30K resistor quite safe ...

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 12:46:22 am »
It is theorized that the older systems only use one 4 pin CPU connector and the newer systems use two.  The theory further hypothesizes that the power supply senses that the second four pin connector is not connected and as a result never sends the power-good signal causing the system not to boot even though power is available.  The power supplies are made by lite on or Delta, I have a Delta model DPS-500AB-49 A.
Can you try to figure out the pinout of the second connector? Sounds like it's doing remote sense all the way to the motherboard.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 01:32:28 pm »
Can you try to figure out the pinout of the second connector? Sounds like it's doing remote sense all the way to the motherboard.
Sure, There are only 5 connectors.

P1:  6 pin MB connector, 2x +12v, 2x G, PS-ON, PS-OK
P2:  4 pin CPU connector, 2x +12v, 2x G
P3:  8 pin GPU connextor, 3x +12v, 5x G
P4:  4 pin CPU connector, 2x +12v, 2x G  (This would be what I call the "second" connector, though I tried with only this one connected as well and got the same results.)
P5:  6 pin GPU connector, 3x +12v, 3x G

And some pictures of the innards.  +12VBDC (Purple wires) go exclusively to the MB 6 pin connector.  +12VADC and +12VCDC (Brown wires) go to the CPU and GPU connectors but I didn't trace the exact split yet.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 02:37:38 pm »
you have this for an auto power on  motherboard,  it could be applied for an power good signal

the power good signal has an specific delay,  the timing must be calculated

https://github.com/pksato/pcautopwon

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 03:46:53 pm »
you have this for an auto power on  motherboard,  it could be applied for an power good signal

the power good signal has an specific delay,  the timing must be calculated

https://github.com/pksato/pcautopwon
Thank you, I was reading about that as well and looking at using a 555 timer to get the desired delay. 

Another thought, there appear to be ICs that actually perform the desired function.  Would it make sense to simply implement something like a TPS3510P that would actually monitor the voltage and provide the signal? 

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 03:48:51 pm »
Update.  The voltage divider worked perfectly.  I didn't realize it at first, but it appears these power supplies output +12v any time they are connected to AC power even if the are not "on".  While I almost never turn the system off unless changing hardware, it doesn't seem to care that the power ok/power good signal is present at all times. 

In the future I may try doing this with a true monitor circuit but for now I'll probably leave it as is.  Thank you to all to replied.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf