Author Topic: Custom printed PET stickers (like membrane keyboards) for front panels  (Read 593 times)

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Hello,

do you have any experience, where can one get printed PET stickers to make instrumentation front panels? I mean, that kind of thicker sticker foil (probably PET plastic) with that matte finish on top. I think same material is used to make membrane keyboards.

Some time ago, I have asked similar question, but related to membrane keyboards. But found technology setup fees to kill any feasibility for low volume prototype. That killed my interest in custom membrane keyboards.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/custom-membrane-keyboard-prototyping-in-china/

This time only interested in the printed sticker foils, no electrical parts or switches.

What do you use for making labels for the front panels, if there are any tips (apart from getting panels made as a piece of PCB with silkscreen, which is not always possible, nor does it look very professional)?

Many thanks,
Y

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
I've had luck printing on the opposite side of A4 sheet transparencies with a colour laser printer, then using thin double-sided adhesive.  Shiny appearance, any graphics you want, users can't scratch/abrade the colour (it's on the side stuck to the device) and easy to do in small volumes.

Does this suit what you want to do at all?

Various thoughts:

* If you're sticking to a dark coloured panel: you may want to paint the rear of the transparency white (after printing on it and before adding adhesive)
* If you need silver: either paint silver on after printing or aim to stick onto an aluminium panel
* Spraypaints might be too agressive chemically, don't know have not tried.  Traditional acrylics + an airbrush are a possible alternative.
* You have to mirror your image before printing :P
* I use inkscape to draw my stuff, I'm very familiar with it.  Anything will do.
* Spray adhesive might work instead of thin double-sided
* Attach the double-sided adhesive before you cut/trim the decals.  Keep the backing paper on so you don't foul your scissors.
* For larger scale batches: vinyl/sticker cutters would be useful.
* EDIT: my laser printer is on old drums + old toner so it prints a bit thin now.  A printer that has a 'toner density' control would be useful to counteract this opacity loss (mine doesn't)
* EDIT2: I've heard of 'light' coloured toners in the printing world.  Probably prohibitively expensive and only for specific printers however, but a curiosity nonetheless.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:55:15 pm by Whales »

Online BradC

• Super Contributor
I have A4 sized self adhesive white label paper sheets. I laser print on those then put a thin matte clear adhesive sheet over the top (like the old “contact” used on school books when I was a kid). Trim to size with whatever you have handy. I generally draw with Autocad because it’s easy to get it dimensionally spot on and I have it handy.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
I have A4 sized self adhesive white label paper sheets. I laser print on those then put a thin matte clear adhesive sheet over the top (like the old “contact” used on school books when I was a kid). Trim to size with whatever you have handy. I generally draw with Autocad because it’s easy to get it dimensionally spot on and I have it handy.

I've been doing this for ownership labels on my stuff.  I've found branded clear packing tape lasts longer than book contact, but it still starts to peel at the corners if any sort of regular rubbing occurs.

Your idea is probably more scratch resistant than my A4 transparencies (?)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:05:51 am by Whales »

Offline YansiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
A lot of times I would need a dark color (black, darkblue) backing color with white text and symbols.  Thats a bit difficult to print. Although, I have had a bit acceptable success with printing this inverted black background / white text on a Signolit SC44 material. It is some expensive special stuff for laser printers. It is sticky white foil with matte finish, that holds the toner extremely well, do even large black printed areas look kind of "good enuf". They even claim the SC44 is weatherproof or what.  Yes - it is durable, but certainly does not look as great as I would like it to.

But I am looking really for something more professional, than these homebrew experiments. Something you can use on a product to be sold (in low quantity) without being ashamed of the looks of it, while not paying $1000 for a few freaking screenprinted stickers.

Tomorrow I will try to contact a few local companies, to get some sample pricepoints, but I am not expecting anything remotely reasonable from locals.  :palm:

Never heard of book contact, whats that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf