Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

D2114 versus MM2114N-2... or maybe more fakes?

(1/3) > >>

NivagSwerdna:
[attachimg=1]

Some time ago I bought some 2114s off EBAY because one day I knew I would need one... so that day arrived and they don't work!

Could these be fake? 

Is it a valid assumption that a MM2114N-2 would work in place of a D2114?

Thanks in advance

newbrain:

--- Quote from: NivagSwerdna on June 15, 2021, 01:27:25 pm ---Could these be fake? 
Is it a valid assumption that a MM2114N-2 would work in place of a D2114?

--- End quote ---
Yes, and yes.

The DSs I can find online tell me that the MM2114N-2 has a faster cycle time than the D2114 (200 ns vs. 400 ns), but this is usually not a bad thing - the other timings look compatible.

As these are small, DIP packaged, and static memories, it should be easy to just put them in a breadboard and manually test some address, or create a more sophisticated test rig with an MCU.

Nostalgic oldish man: I still remember when I expanded my self built 6502 board to a mind-blowing 4 kB, by stacking eight 2114s in two four chip high towers, all pins soldered in parallel but chip selects.

NivagSwerdna:

--- Quote from: newbrain on June 15, 2021, 04:20:59 pm ---As these are small, DIP packaged, and static memories, it should be easy to just put them in a breadboard and manually test some address, or create a more sophisticated test rig with an MCU.

--- End quote ---
I did.  That's how I suspect they might be fake.

james_s:
Do they do anything at all? They could be fake, or they could be defective. A lot of old arcade games used 2114 RAM and it seems to have a relatively high failure rate, it's one of the more common parts I've had to replace.

wraper:
I don't think that laser marking is possible on genuine component this old.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version