Author Topic: Dedicated Resistor Checker  (Read 3721 times)

Offline easilyconfusedTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Dedicated Resistor Checker
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:42:18 pm »
I don't know if I'm the only one but it's kind of a pain in the ass to pull out my meter over and over again to verify resistors. I have no idea what it would take to build a auto-ranging tester that could be screwed to the wall above my bench. But that's what I would like. It would have a metal bail that simply lifted up. Then gravity would apply pressure to the resistor leads. One would push the on/off button which would go off after a few minutes. I suppose a capacitance feature would be a logical extension of the idea. I'm just a beginner doing a lot of breadboarding. If it's already available can someone tell me where to get one.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:45:37 pm by easilyconfused »

alm

Re: Dedicated Resistor Checker
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:01:06 pm »
It's probably hard to build one for less than a (used) auto-ranging DMM. I would just hook a custom test fixture to an existing meter. Your idea won't work for components in a circuit (need floating leads for that). Just a second DMM permanently set to resistance might also work, guess why many people have more than one DMM (although not all of us are as insane as Dave, at least in this regard ;)). Learning resistor color codes might also be a solution.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »
If you want convenience then it's probably bets to get a cheap RC or LCR meter with the plug-in spring terminals for components. Then you don't have to muck around with test leads.
Many are manual ranging though unfortunately.
Or just get a small autoranging meter with short (few inches) alligator clip leads and stick that on the wall.
I believe you can also get banana to component terminal like adapters of some sort.

Dave.

Offline easilyconfusedTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 01:02:29 am »
If you want convenience then it's probably bets to get a cheap RC or LCR meter with the plug-in spring terminals for components. Then you don't have to muck around with test leads.
Many are manual ranging though unfortunately.
Or just get a small autoranging meter with short (few inches) alligator clip leads and stick that on the wall.
I believe you can also get banana to component terminal like adapters of some sort.

Dave.
In the time that passed since I put up the post I thought about banana-to-component (not knowing if such a thing exists), and then thought about how nice the springs work on my Radio Shack Learning Lab. So I guess great minds think alike (right!). Either way it looks like using an existing meter is the best way to go. Thanks

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:18:56 am »
Either way it looks like using an existing meter is the best way to go. Thanks

Its all about the "Relative" = or Zero Ohm function ..
With out it , every measurement at resistors , its not that automated as process.  :)
Staying next to "ready made" solutions , you have to worry less about the accuracy factor too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf