Author Topic: Destruction and Inside of MultiTurn 200 Ohm Bonens (Bourns Immitation) Trimpot  (Read 4290 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
curious...
when compared to original Bourns...
http://www.robotroom.com/Trimpots-2.html
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: MosherIV, LeonV

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
That is actually not too bad. I was expecting worse!
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Thanks for pulling one apart. Actually not bad.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Neat. The brush is definitely wimpier.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Nice pics and doesn't look too bad at all.

Did you tear it apart because it failed (if so what was the failure) or just 'because'?

• Super Contributor
Did you tear it apart because it failed (if so what was the failure) or just 'because'?
no. just for fun, i still have some stock for that 200 ohm trimpot and i find it the least used part.  and i was curious on inductive effect of it. i guess not suitable for ghz range of application, similar to original Bourns since they are the same geometry construction. but on some of the other Bonens immitation that already in a circuit, i detected some discontinuity at some place usually set during operation, but not so serious for me to take it apart so far, a slight turn will get it back inline. i cant 100% blame on the components since its maybe my design is flawed, i havent analyze its heat dissipation spec.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
This is nifty.  I always wondered what happens internally when you hit the limit of travel.  Now I can see that, at least for this style, continuing to turn at the limit won't cause damage.  Thanks!

:-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
This is nifty.  I always wondered what happens internally when you hit the limit of travel.  Now I can see that, at least for this style, continuing to turn at the limit won't cause damage.  Thanks!

I want to know how it comes back if you go past the end then start turning it backwards.

Doesn't that disconnect the gears?

• Super Contributor
I want to know how it comes back if you go past the end then start turning it backwards.
Doesn't that disconnect the gears?
on the working unit, clicking sound can be heard while attempting to go past beyond the end indicates some sort of spring action that reverse the last teeth of the gear back inline, but i cant reproduce it on the teared unit. luckily i'm not inclined to know how it function mechanically, all i know is its working.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
I suspect the wiper is in spring contact with the end-point and pushes the gear drive together.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
I bought a grab bag of those to have for prototyping and they work OK, particularly for the price.  I'd run the Bourns for production.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:33:08 pm by LabSpokane »

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
I'm guessing this was a pretty heavily used device?  There seems a be a lot of brush material embedded into the resistive track, and the brushes themselves look a little worn.

• Super Contributor
I'm guessing this was a pretty heavily used device?
no, it only used a few times in a test circuit. most of the time ever since collecting rust. maybe that shows the low quality of the internal parts of it..

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
I'm guessing this was a pretty heavily used device?  There seems a be a lot of brush material embedded into the resistive track, and the brushes themselves look a little worn.

That might be from the disassemble process.

All the internal parts in those things are really soft so they make good contact. They're not built for daily use. Even the genuine parts are only rated for 200 turns.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:42:36 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf