Author Topic: Square wave harmonic content  (Read 3073 times)

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Square wave harmonic content
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »
This toy helps you play with some concepts

http://www.lohninger.com/comimg/ex_foursynt_large.gif

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 07:27:27 pm »
A "square" wave is a theoretical object, like infinite. When you're switching a transistor, it just generates a series of waves that... "mostly" add up in phase. If the signal travels in some medium other than good conductors, it will be less pretty, and "interferences" can happen. It won't look square then. (And yes, you can just filter a square wave in various ways to convince yourself it's effectively composed of a series of sine waves.)

If you're considering "edges", even any pure sine wave has rising and falling "edges". The rise and fall times will just depend on frequency.
The typical "rise time" of a sine wave of frequency F is ~ 0.295 / F (note that it's a bit less than the usual ~ 0.35 / BW, for the max rise time for a given bandwidth, due to the fact bandwidths are defined at -3dB ...)

(To calculate this, just take a sine wave  S(t) = A.sin(2.pi.F.t), take the 10% and 90% points of the P-P amplitude, and infer the time difference from there.)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 08:41:59 pm »

To wit: we start with the Heaviside step function u(t).  This is defined as zero for t < 0, one for t > 1, and conventionally 0.5 at exactly t = 0, but that doesn't really matter.

I think it is 1 for t > 0, not t > 1  -- likely just a typo because you clearly have a handle on it.

Maybe the universe is a result of the Heaviside Step Function.   For t < 0, nothing existed.  For t > 0 we're all here.  And I don't want to know what happened at t = 0.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 09:40:47 pm »
Thanks, yes just a typo :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf