Author Topic: Disappointed In Rigol Service  (Read 24280 times)

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
Re: Disappointed In Rigol Service
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2018, 06:45:10 pm »
Just saying "Meh!" is a prayer to the god of Mediocrity.

A short time ago, upon returning from a far-off city consulting job, I found myself standing outside the train station waiting for my best friend to pick me up and go to dinner.

Along came strolling a  Bell de Jour and asked me, "Hey baby, want to take a walk on the wildside?"

My guess was that her business of providing quick sales and no guarantees was going slow, but I still said "No thank you,  I am in the business of servicing problems myself!"

Then I noticed that she seemed to have a bit of a black eye.

I said, "Hey, did your 'man' do that to you?"

She said, "Yes", looking just a little bit sad.

I said, "Why do you put up with this, don't you hate someone like that?"

She said, "No, I love him. When he beats me, he always tries not to hit my face or anywhere anyone can see when I have my clothes on!"

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2018, 06:50:14 pm »
I just re-read the entire thread, and I am still very interested in the various experiences others have had; the posts describing experiences are quite illuminating in my opinion, even when I disagree.

However, I am disappointed at the amount of name-calling. Denigrating others opinion or expectations or wishes, calling them "bitching", "trolls", "shills", "unrealistic", "delusional"... that is responding purely based on emotion.  It has no value -- or rather, negative value --, and brings nothing but mud to the discussion. Stop that, please, but do keep the experiences and opinions coming (unless already stated, of course).

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2018, 06:59:24 pm »

While I respect the fact that piece of equipment gave up on you at unfortunate moment when you needed it most,  respectfully, you are absolutely wrong with the rest of your premise.
When you bought piece of equipment from manufacturer you entered in a contract (warranty is a contract) that was specified. In your case Rigol didn't break any stipulations of warranty contract. Fact that you decided you will not carry up your part of the deal is both your right and your fault.
As for parts, Rigol don't sell them the way you want them to. That is also a well known fact. Also , AFAIK, I don't think any other manufacturers do, the way you want them to. And, to be clear here, we are not talking that many manufacturers USED TO DO it many years ago.. They don't anymore.

And also, to make it clear, I'm equally pissed at that fact. We used to be able to fix our equipment. This is denied to us today. But it is unfair to single out Rigol.
Quite the opposite, they didn't invent it. Major manufacturers started that game long time ago, Rigol is just going with the flow. They are ALL guilty of that.

As for how easy it is, I think people are underestimating it. In order to support component level part selling network, they must establish a sort of small Mouser, Newark or something like that. On several continents. The fact that they would have only 10000 components doesn't mean anything, except smaller warehouses. Whole logistical operation is quite complicated.. Ask somebody in that business.
And make sure that components are tracked across models, revisions, kept for old equipment.. That is expensive.. I don't want that to load price of every scope, even those that are not broken...

Would I like, like you, that I could buy and repair anything any way I like. Of course! But that's not the world we live in now. Unfortunately.
If you want to change the world, I wish you good luck, and also good luck with your equipment in the future..

Regards,

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2018, 07:13:09 pm »
I own a Rigol bench multimeter DM3068 (and a thousands of dollars of other Rigol equipment).  It won't power up.  I called tech support and  they said to send it in for repair.  But they said the warranty period is three years, and that since my unit is a few months out of warranty, the flat repair rate is $360.  My experience with good companies is that they will stand behind their products and not seek to extract exorbitant repair fees if the product is not very long out of warranty.  I was thus surprised that Rigol refused to provide a warranty repair. Needless to say, I will not be buying Rigol any more.

Reading through this thread, and some others, makes me wonder how many of this forum's users are involved with actual product development and manufacturing, and how many are just hobbyists. My guess is that it leans heavily to the hobbyist side.

Professional engineers expect to be paid for the product or service they provide. The professionals understand that the tools and products they use to design and manufacture what they sell and support are purchased from people who, to be clear, have that same expectation regarding getting paid for products and services.

Or put another way: why should YOU think the product you test and debug with your Rigol 'scope is more deserving of being sold for a profit than the 'scope? Do you go out of your way to provide customer support over and above what you state in your warranty document, even if it reduces your profit (or puts you in the red)? If you do, good on you. I hope you can maintain your business. If you don't, then you're a hypocrite.

Sure, that Segger JTAG/SWD dongle is overpriced, and that Xilinx/Lattice/Altera/etc pod is expensive. They are ripping you off. They think you're a sucker.

My question: why are you ripping off your customers by charging what you charge? Why do you think they are suckers? I want you to give me, for free, one of the things you make. And when it breaks I want you to fix it for free.

That Rigol 'scope was pretty cheap, but oops, it broke after the (pretty decent) warranty expired, but you're finding out that there is a cost involved in cutting costs.

If there is any web forum whose users should actually understand why things cost what they cost, it is this one. But I'm clearly wrong.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »
And make sure that components are tracked across models, revisions, kept for old equipment.. That is expensive.. I don't want that to load price of every scope, even those that are not broken...

Would I like, like you, that I could buy and repair anything any way I like. Of course! But that's not the world we live in now. Unfortunately.
Actually repairing equipment has become easier because most of the parts are easy to source nowadays. The days that manufacturers used custom made parts are over. Sure the knobs will be hard to get but things like buttons, encoders, transformers, power supplies, etc  are off-the-shelve parts. I have an HP power supply which is missing an encoder. Because it is a custom part which is sold out I can't get a replacement. However I'm pretty sure my brand new Keysight PSU has encoders I can order from Farnell, Mouser, Digikey, et al.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2018, 10:37:47 pm »
Both disappointed Rigol customers above weren't requesting anything custom or special, 

just bog standard parts the company most likely still uses (and orders extra stock of) and fair 'just out of warranty' repair quotations for recent model/s

If some manufacturers are going to play 'planned obsolescence' games on test gear too,
they better sink some investment money and tooling into mobile phones as a backup business, once techs, EEs and hobbyists wise up

Imagine a lab with all the latest affordable 'Brand Pro X' OHL made gear designed this way, how much work will get done with the PO clock (planned obsolescence) ticking down
with bits of bench gear and PSUs going south at random  |O

LOL, the gear will start to flake before one pays it off, and the parts and repair bill may cost more than new units,
back to the bank for some more grovel work...  :-[

FWIW buying two DSOs to keep yourself working may not bail you out either, that OP clock again,
the second DSO may clap out while the other is still away getting looked at,
been there and seen SOL happen to others too 

'planned obsolescence' plus unplanned debt = not good for your business, why support such twisted 'R+D' underhanded business practices?
Who benefits from this anyway? The company, it's staff ? or the lazy investor/shareTards and middlemen/brokers who don't even know what test gear is or does?

What's next on their 'money for jam' list, paid/subscription Firmware 'Updates' (or else...) Ransomware BS? Please...  :palm:

Would techs here plan for their repairs to fail after one year by merely 'patching up' shoddy soldering work when it's clear a re-do is required,
and replacing bad caps with the same quality when they have good ones at hand, and know in advance the customer will pay the difference?
I wouldn't, it's dirty pool and makes the stomach churn

Buying the latest gear doesn't have to be a drama, just do your research on the internet and forums like this what equipment gets the job done,
is reliable with good support,
and give the bling and eye candy features the back seat

and any company that flogs cheap duds and doesn't make any effort to supply parts and 'reasonable' service...move along folks, nothing to see here   :phew:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:14:11 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Jr460

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2018, 11:29:17 pm »
S*** Happens.

I don't expect a product or service to be perfect every time.  Mistakes will happen, balls will get dropped.   I like to see how well a company recovers from these things.   that tells me a whole lot more.

I mainly deal with software in the day job and we always have software/hardware support for things.   I know, I know, but Open Source.   Look, in what we do we can't have an issue that we have to wait for BillyBob123@yahoo.com to look at his code and figure out how to fix it.  As much as I like looking at code for lets say the Linux kernel, if I had to stay that far up on the details of it so I can fix it myself, I would never get any other work done.   Now when the a problem is an intersection of RedHat, Oracle, and Microsoft, the people that whipped the others into shape was RedHat.  Yearly support for a virtual machine from them is cheap in the long run.

Recently in the non-day job someone dropped and broke the battery cover on a device.  I called up the company in Chicago, said what part I'm looking for, and he asked how many I needed.   They sent me the part no charge, never gave a serial number and was not the owner.  This was the mid level gear.  That would never happen with the cheaper overseas competitors.

In this case I think Rigol should have done something other than say take it or leave it.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 12:01:14 am »
Recently in the non-day job someone dropped and broke the battery cover on a device.  I called up the company in Chicago, said what part I'm looking for, and he asked how many I needed.   They sent me the part no charge, never gave a serial number and was not the owner.  This was the mid level gear.  That would never happen with the cheaper overseas competitors.

In this case I think Rigol should have done something other than say take it or leave it.
It was not a freaking battery cover but encoder. You as well may ask Samsung for capacitors to repair their monitor. If you start dealing with it, then such customer will likely screw up his device even more and in the end pass that shit on you. Don't want to follow normal warranty procedure, then you're on your own. Don't blame anyone for not wanting to play by your rules.

Not exactly the same, but similar. You don't want to do business which causes you pain in the ass.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:50:41 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:42 am »
just bog standard parts the company most likely still uses (and orders extra stock of)

Which they have in their factory, for controlled use in production. Not randomly pulling them out for customers to perform repairs with.

and fair 'just out of warranty' repair quotations for recent model/s

The quote seemed fair.

What's next on their 'money for jam' list, paid/subscription Firmware 'Updates' (or else...)

You mean like quite a few companies in quite a few businesses already do and have done for many years, and do so on products with five or six digit price tags?

You accuse everyone of being a Rigol shill. I accuse you in turn of being a butthurt Siglent shill. I'm probably a lot closer to the mark.

By the way, where are the multiple Rigol employees and distributors making aggressive posts about the superiority of their products? Haven't seen any lately..

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 01:29:38 am »
just bog standard parts the company most likely still uses (and orders extra stock of)

Which they have in their factory, for controlled use in production. Not randomly pulling them out for customers to perform repairs with.

and fair 'just out of warranty' repair quotations for recent model/s

The quote seemed fair.

What's next on their 'money for jam' list, paid/subscription Firmware 'Updates' (or else...)

You mean like quite a few companies in quite a few businesses already do and have done for many years, and do so on products with five or six digit price tags?

You accuse everyone of being a Rigol shill. I accuse you in turn of being a butthurt Siglent shill. I'm probably a lot closer to the mark.

By the way, where are the multiple Rigol employees and distributors making aggressive posts about the superiority of their products? Haven't seen any lately..

Well perhaps they should consider supplying parts for customers and their global distributors, in an organized manner not 'randomly',
it has been done before many times and successfully by others,
been there, paid for the parts, fitted, done 
if I stuffed up (unlikely), I would re-order the parts and not blame the parts or tools or parts supplier 

I didn't accuse 'everyone' nor you of anything, and I don't get paid to shill for anyone,
if I did it would be out in the open and wouldn't be plugging and defending half baked product
I only report my personal experiences with Brand A or B if it helps the next bloke with his/her shopping trek

I don't know where "multiple Rigol employees and distributors making aggressive posts about the superiority of their products" are, should I ?   :-//

Perhaps surfing online to get a clue what percentage of peaved customers there are out there ?   :o
and fire up a meeting in the cafeteria to sort something out asap   :clap:

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 02:00:40 am »
I own a Rigol bench multimeter DM3068 (and a thousands of dollars of other Rigol equipment).  It won't power up.  I called tech support and  they said to send it in for repair.  But they said the warranty period is three years, and that since my unit is a few months out of warranty, the flat repair rate is $360.  My experience with good companies is that they will stand behind their products and not seek to extract exorbitant repair fees if the product is not very long out of warranty.  I was thus surprised that Rigol refused to provide a warranty repair. Needless to say, I will not be buying Rigol any more.

I'd be disappointed in test equipment that failed after three years of normal use. I'm used to much longer trouble-free equipment life. Examples: Fluke 8020B- 40 years old, still working fine. HP 34401A - 17 years old, still fine. Dell laptop - 11 years old, still fine.

An ADSL modem recently failed on me, after 13 years of 24/7 operation - ok, sad to see it go. A Seagate HDD is failing on me now, with some unrecoverable sector errors, after 12 years - ok, sad to see it go, but what a great performance.

Sometimes I wonder if we passed through a golden age of computer and test equipment, in the 1990s, and we've been going downhill ever since the financial crash in 2008. Most of my test equipment pre-dates the crash.

Post-crash example:  I recently got an Acer laptop that was faulty right out of the box (confirmed by Acer's own service dept.). It wasn't for me, so, mistakenly, I didn't do the usual homework I'd do for my own gear. This is the first time in my entire career I have ever seen a factory-new product with a hardware fault. I have a "one and done" rule, so Acer is now on my blacklist.

Another example: a new D-Link ADSL modem installed as a stop-gap, until the AVM Fritz!Box unit I actually wanted turned up. The D-Link unit loses its port-forwarding settings after a few days, despite what the GUI displays. D-Link, you are one-and-done. Wǎn’ān!

Thanks for your post. Rigol is still on my "do not buy" list. Three years is just too short for my needs, and yeah, like you, I expect more.

Offline isometrik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 03:11:21 am »
However, I am disappointed at the amount of name-calling. Denigrating others opinion or expectations or wishes, calling them "bitching", "trolls", "shills", "unrealistic", "delusional"... that is responding purely based on emotion.  It has no value -- or rather, negative value --, and brings nothing but mud to the discussion. Stop that, please, but do keep the experiences and opinions coming (unless already stated, of course).

:-+

Reminds me of this...

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:51 am »
I guess they thought it was rather common NAND corruption which is repaired for free even out of warranty (main board replacement). PSU certainly does not fall under that voluntary warranty extension. And this has nothing to do with normal or extended warranty under which PSU will be replaced for free.

It's great that you are reading my emails, but no -- that wasn't it.  This was standard warranty service.  I have the service order in front of me.  The service department told me point blank "PSU failure is not covered under warranty"  They may have been lying or misleading, but at no point did anyone mention a NAND flash problem and the service order says standard repair service / method of payment: warranty.  They were offering us warranty coverage "bonus" because A) we buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of keysight VNAs and spectrum analyzers and they want to keep us happy, and B) they would much rather sell us extended warranties than do occasional out of warranty repairs.  The whole experience was actually not great, with long delays and me having to prod people to get them to do things, like screwing up the pickup arrangements and not following up.

This is not to knock keysight.  They make some really great equipment.  But they aren't magic.  They don't "take care of you for life", they don't always have perfect service. 

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 06:51:50 am »
Sometimes I wonder if we passed through a golden age of computer and test equipment, in the 1990s, and we've been going downhill ever since the financial crash in 2008. Most of my test equipment pre-dates the crash.

IMO looong time ago. On one side you get stuff that is smaller, both in die and device size and in some (... all?) cases that causes long-term reliability problems, especially with stuff like flash memory and is harder to repair. Maybe not as bad in TE case but still there.

On the other, there is race to the bottom so you don't get as much safety margins, overdesign and "design for repair" as in older devices.

And where margins are lower, "being nice to customer" doesn't pay the bills

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 08:30:26 am »
I guess they thought it was rather common NAND corruption which is repaired for free even out of warranty (main board replacement). PSU certainly does not fall under that voluntary warranty extension. And this has nothing to do with normal or extended warranty under which PSU will be replaced for free.

It's great that you are reading my emails, but no -- that wasn't it.  This was standard warranty service.  I have the service order in front of me.  The service department told me point blank "PSU failure is not covered under warranty"  They may have been lying or misleading, but at no point did anyone mention a NAND flash problem and the service order says standard repair service / method of payment: warranty.  They were offering us warranty coverage "bonus" because A) we buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of keysight VNAs and spectrum analyzers and they want to keep us happy, and B) they would much rather sell us extended warranties than do occasional out of warranty repairs.  The whole experience was actually not great, with long delays and me having to prod people to get them to do things, like screwing up the pickup arrangements and not following up.

This is not to knock keysight.  They make some really great equipment.  But they aren't magic.  They don't "take care of you for life", they don't always have perfect service.
You talked with dealer, not keysight. You said they wanted to sell you extended warranty. PSU not covered under normal warranty is nonsense and simply not true.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2018, 08:41:38 am »
Talking about a little time out of warranty, 3y is longer than law requires (1y or 2y in most countries). I would understand if you are upset when expensive product dies after 1y and a few days after purchase (hello Apple) but 3y is a completely reasonable time.
The law does vary from one country to another.

For example in the UK, the law doesn't set arbitrary limits on warranty period, just that the product should last for a reasonable length of time and be of a reasonable quality for the price paid. The trouble is this is subjective, but it has the advantage that a company can't sell you an expensive product and refuse to repair it when it fails just outside the warranty period.

In this instance this is in the US, so check the consumer law over there. One may also argue that three years is reasonable, given the price.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2018, 02:00:45 pm »
Talking about a little time out of warranty, 3y is longer than law requires (1y or 2y in most countries). I would understand if you are upset when expensive product dies after 1y and a few days after purchase (hello Apple) but 3y is a completely reasonable time.
The law does vary from one country to another.

For example in the UK, the law doesn't set arbitrary limits on warranty period, just that the product should last for a reasonable length of time and be of a reasonable quality for the price paid. The trouble is this is subjective, but it has the advantage that a company can't sell you an expensive product and refuse to repair it when it fails just outside the warranty period.

In this instance this is in the US, so check the consumer law over there. One may also argue that three years is reasonable, given the price.

IMO this assertive is highly contradictory and fails to give protection to the businesses that want to deal in fairness in your country. That tends to raise the local prices (I know this by personal experience) and increases the grey market.

In the original stated case, the OP is clearly dissatisfied with the warranty period and the law gives margin for litigation.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2018, 02:04:48 pm »
In the original stated case, the OP is clearly dissatisfied with the warranty period and the law gives margin for litigation.

Then he should have purchased a device with a longer warranty period.

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2018, 02:24:18 pm »

3 years is pretty generous for electronics. Who gives a longer one?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2018, 02:27:45 pm »
In practice it means that Britons in many cases only get 1y warranty instead of 2y EU standard. And only nut jobs who want to fight and don't have a better way to spend their time get their warranty extended through the court.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 02:46:43 pm »

Exactly. In a true free market this is the exsct course of action. Laws are only a good strategy when there is clear evidence of a cartel among players.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 02:51:13 pm »
In practice it means that Britons in many cases only get 1y warranty instead of 2y EU standard. And only nut jobs who want to fight and don't have a better way to spend their time get their warranty extended through the court.
I've never heard anything about the standard 2 year warranty. Does it apply to everything? If so, that's pretty daft to expect the same warranty on a 1 Euro calculator, as a 5000 Euro oscilloscope!

No, it doesn't work like that in the UK. Most manufacturer warranties are the same as in the EU. Plus we have the added bonus of having the opportunity to claim for something outside the warranty period, if it's unreasonable that it failed, although I do admit most people are ignorant of this and don't.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:10:01 pm by Hero999 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 02:53:39 pm »
FWIW buying two DSOs to keep yourself working may not bail you out either, that OP clock again,
the second DSO may clap out while the other is still away getting looked at,
been there and seen SOL happen to others too 

If two DSOs don't provide a sufficient availability then buy more. Get also some from other vendors and store a few at another location in case your lab is hit by a major disaster. Don't forget preventive maintenance for the stored DSOs or cycle the units by using each DSO for some time. It's a simple game of numbers. Arguing that two DSOs aren't any better in terms of availability than a single one because both could fail is ignoring math. Even five could fail but the possibility decreases with the number of units. It's clear that this would be overdoing things, though it's basic engineering as done in aerospace and carrier grade networks for example.

I fully understand that someone is angry about a broken device. At the same time it should be obvious that any device can/will break at some point in time. So please don't lament on a broken inexpensive DSO and the lack of first class support and a loaner unit when you haven't bought that service. When you ask around you'll find also people with Keysight (add your favorite here) devices which broke just after the standard warranty has ended and some with Rigol/Siglent (add your el cheapo here) still running fine after years of usage, and vice versa of course. We don't have the exact numbers, just the feedback of some users and our personal experience with a few devices.

Just another example: I've got a Rigol cheapy and a much more expensive DSO (Hameg, now R&S). So far the expensive one required a repair (luckily for a very reasonable sum) and has an annoying bug which won't be fixed. I've found the bug at a time when some shops were still selling that model. Hameg is known for good quality and long lasting scopes.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:02 pm »

3 years is pretty generous for electronics. Who gives a longer one?
GW Instek has a limited lifetime warranty on their scopes which ends 5 years after they stop making the particular model.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2018, 04:02:16 pm »
I've never heard anything about the standard 2 year warranty. Does it apply to everything? If so, that's pretty daft to expect the same warranty on a 1 Euro calculator, as a 5000 Euro oscilloscope!

No, it doesn't work like that in the UK. Most manufacturer warranties are the same as in the EU. Plus we have the added bonus of having the opportunity to claim for something outside the warranty period, if it's unreasonable that it failed, although I do admit most people are ignorant of this and don't.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm
In EU 2 year warranty is minimum unless it's something disposable.
Free of charge, 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) for all goods
Under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum 2-year guarantee at no cost, regardless of whether you bought your goods online, in a shop or by mail order.

This 2-year guarantee is your minimum right. National rules in your country may give you extra protection: however, any deviation from EU rules must always be in the consumer's best interest.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:00:20 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf