Author Topic: Disappointed In Rigol Service  (Read 24786 times)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Disappointed In Rigol Service
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2018, 11:43:06 am »
Could we all calm down a bit. Basically you get what you pay for! you can't buy equipment for a fraction of the price and then expect goodwill gestures it's not financially viable. Company bureaucracy often prevents just putting a part in a bag and sending it out and no they won't sell it to you, why spend £50 in labour to supply a part worth a tenner?

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, wraper, 2N3055, Jacon

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2018, 11:00:01 pm »
Could we all calm down a bit. Basically you get what you pay for! you can't buy equipment for a fraction of the price and then expect goodwill gestures it's not financially viable.

Company bureaucracy often prevents just putting a part in a bag and sending it out and no they won't sell it to you,
why spend £50 in labour to supply a part worth a tenner?

Many of us here may understand by now these new unsustainable company bureaucracy business practices set in place, mainly to line clueless investor coffers whilst pushing out semi 'throw away society' product. 

It's sad but true and only time will tell how far such a pending trainwreck financial fiasco like that can travel uphill, before cogs begin to slip,  and or the next major global money meltdown sorts them out
and relieves them of their  'hard earned'  dividends and capital   >:D >:D

That aside: the parts in this case would be coming from China = cheap labor, parts and shipping 

Regardless of the source and pricing, the customer may be willing to fork out  "...£50 in labour to supply a part worth a tenner",  and shipping and duties and any other add on charge

If a customer wants to blow 60 quid in parts to have a go at repairing a 120 quid DSO   hey it's their choice, their reasoning, their money, their win  8)    their lose  :-[

The customer is still 'always right' afaik in any century, though perhaps not in every nation, 
give them the choice of supply if you want to keep them coming back for more product, lest they 'shop around' ...or bad mouth you on the internet!  :scared:

LOL, even if they're not 'always right' occasionally  :rant: ...   |O  , regardless of which nation you're in,  give em what they want to get them off your case and out the freakin door
so life as we know it can resume !  Been there!   :phew:

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2018, 06:57:48 am »
No, if a company has chosen to not sell spares that is that. I see this often at work, we will sell anything but by the time we have sorted many things out involving multiple people I see that is was not worth the effort. This is mostly our fault as we don't have a system designed for a person taking a phone call to look up a price and availability and we do it simply to keep them coming back for larger orders or because we are too stupid to say no. we may sell an item and make £20 but spend an hour trying to identify it.

You get what you pay for, why should they invest upfront in a system that can handle spares and then hope for orders? it would be nice if they did but it's their choice and it is yours to buy a much cheaper unit knowing what support is likely to be like and if you didn't guess more fool you.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2018, 07:24:44 am »
No, if a company has chosen to not sell spares that is that. I see this often at work, we will sell anything but by the time we have sorted many things out involving multiple people I see that is was not worth the effort. This is mostly our fault as we don't have a system designed for a person taking a phone call to look up a price and availability and we do it simply to keep them coming back for larger orders or because we are too stupid to say no. we may sell an item and make £20 but spend an hour trying to identify it.

Say, even your company can afford that, still, will you trust your customer with 3 digits figure priced commodity product, to solder the component them self ?

If you do, don't forget to talk to legal dept 1st and prepare the "red tape" needed to protect your company.    >:D

Wonder if Keysight, R&S, Fluke allowed that for their 4 or 5 digits figure products ?  :P

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2018, 07:48:27 am »
People have short memories, there are a couple of threads at least about how tough it is to get parts out of Keysight.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2018, 08:04:42 am »
People have short memories, there are a couple of threads at least about how tough it is to get parts out of Keysight.

Yet, certain people love to praise that how great the Tektronix, Keysight, R&S etc were so great & sooooo generous serving their customers, compared to this shitty damned Rigol.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:34 am »

The legal BS can be sorted by getting customers to sign an unconditional legal waiver, so the company can be secure they won't get shafted in court due to any unforeseen customer dumbassery 

I signed one a few weeks ago for a meal to get doggie bagged at a beachside coffee/eats place

The staff were being apolagetic about it till I pulled them up and said it was no problem at all and everything should be done that way in todays times to keep things real
and keep the low life unemployable serial sue junkies at bay.

I applauded them for the option and will be going back to that place for the good food and service,
and because we're cheap with no qualms about doggie bag 'later snacks' and / or bringing back leftover BYO booze 

NO SHAME on stuff like that  ;D

Since handshakes and integrity seem to be too 'old school' for the millennial know it alls, and cranky old timers with half a foot at deaths door that think they can fit in with them   :-[
then a legal waiver in writing is the way to go to keep ones pocket intact.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2018, 06:37:38 pm »

The legal BS can be sorted by getting customers to sign an unconditional legal waiver, so the company can be secure they won't get shafted in court due to any unforeseen customer dumbassery 
And who will cover the cost of implementing and running component stock, logistics, and on top of that a legal crap?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2018, 11:08:53 pm »

And who will cover the cost of implementing and running component stock, logistics, and on top of that a legal crap?

The company supplies what's possible and compatible with the system in place and the staff,
not go nuts with a full inventory to cater for cheapo dumpster designed products. 

You might not please everyone, but hey, popping a pair of generic or retrofitable encoders in a stiff carton box to a customer ain't that hard

Just get the legal waiver signed, their ID, and most important... money up front   :P

It's not that hard to figure in advance what possible consumables/wear n tear parts a DSO has > switches, rotary encoders, fans, probes... (add yours here)

Tip: you can make good money from that stuff, keep fired up DIY techs calm,
AND bail out authorized stockists** and their repairers out of a parts jam
rather than have to take back a lemon that just needs some bits that the local distributor may want to wear the cost of (and keep the customer satisfied),
plus save the manufacturer/supplier broken balls having to address such trivial complaints in their view

Let's not forget those 'customers' too**, they have enough to deal with flogging the products, and don't need corporat bureaucrapcy friendly fire on top  |O

-----------------------------

If former reputation driven companies, now run by greed driven bean counters catering for lazy investards, are not going to bother doing any of this pita 'service' stuff,
they should include it in the hard copy and PDF user manuals and website,
that after a certain period the product will no longer be supported in ANY capacity...this is not a new concept btw 

i.e. "#$%# OFF or buy a new one bro, and it's not our fault someone on Ebay or CL stiffed you with a dud,  :-BROKE
and now you wanna fix it yourself and we got no parts or schematics, so you think we should share some of your butthurt? 
It's just one of those SOL things that happens bro, so just deal with it,
Yoll have a nice day..."    :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »
You might not please everyone, but hey, popping a pair of generic or retrofitable encoders in a stiff carton box to a customer ain't that hard
It is not going to work because by the time an encoder goes out the door it will cost $25 to the customer due to procurement, write-off, storage, shipping and handling costs. And then people WILL complain they feel they get shafted because they can buy 'the same' encoders from Aliexpress for 25 cents shipped from China  :palm:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2018, 11:17:55 pm »
Tip: you can make good money from that stuff, keep fired up DIY techs calm,
The only thing you can make on selling encoders are financial losses. You need big turnaround and highly automated process to make any money on that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:25 am »
Merry go round...  ;D

The customer will either find out or be advised that  -they can get 'the same' encoders from Aliexpress for 25 cents shipped from China-,
and avoid a shafting   :phew:

Most anyone having a go at DSO DIY may already know that anyway (especially tipped off EEVblogites and Youtube  :-+ )

What they can't get from Aliexpress is schematics, Firmware updates and bits and bobs the manufacturer should have on hand,
or at the least know what the parts are required, advise the customer, and let the customer deal with the sourcing 'online' 

Come on guys, surely some of you here have done the service counter gig along your travels
It's not that hard to sort out 99.99% of issues

and the few troubletards that live to break balls no matter what you do for the A-holics  >:D   you can always tell em to   #$%# OFF    if they insist on going 'there'   >:(

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:28:31 am by Electro Detective »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2018, 02:16:37 pm »
So first you say it's not hard to supply spare parts and not lose money, then you say the customer will just get them somewhere else cheaper.

Which is it? Can they avoid pissing money into the wind or not?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2018, 05:06:06 pm »
So first you say it's not hard to supply spare parts and not lose money, then you say the customer will just get them somewhere else cheaper.

Which is it? Can they avoid pissing money into the wind or not?
Exactly. If an instrument is comprised of run of the mill parts, go find their replacements somewhere else and assume all risk.

Mechanical and cosmetic parts are another story, as well as displays - frequently they are either custom made or impossible to buy per unit.

Anybody that tried to sell replacement parts in this day and age knows it is a loss game, especially internationally with the various regulations regarding to warranty, returns, etc.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:47 pm »

I'm not playing the loop game guys, you either get it or you don't  :popcorn:

I value the 'customer', because they are THE main generator for  'industry and sales'

if smartass corporat companies nowadays want to conveniently 'forget' that,  they can go under for all I care and go feather themselves with bureaucrapcy
and eventually get bought out for peanuts on the dollar,
and or do multiple name changes and logos to try and attract new suckers to buy their short term supported dumpster designed products   :--

Not everyone has to think that way, but I'm confident a few here do  :-+   perhaps some of the closet 'paid trolls' too   :D

--------------------

I'm curious if this post has swayed any Rigol owners/fans to consider looking at the competition for their next gear aquisition 

especially if they're experiencing symptoms of "Disappointed In Rigol Service"    :(

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2018, 07:37:21 am »

Not everyone has to think that way, but I'm confident a few here do  :-+   perhaps some of the closet 'paid trolls' too   :D

--------------------

I'm curious if this post has swayed any Rigol owners/fans to consider looking at the competition for their next gear aquisition 

especially if they're experiencing symptoms of "Disappointed In Rigol Service"    :(

You keep on repeating things that are not realistic or truth, calling all of us collectively stupid and trolls, while all the time you are the only one that didn't contribute anything to this discussion except provoking .
By your own admission, you own no Rigol equipment, have no experience with them as a company yet keep flaming them like they wronged you somehow.
 What is your agenda?, except sabotaging discussion and trying to rile up a bar fight... Do YOU have some gain and/or unethical reason to hate Rigol even when they are not at fault?

So once again, please, stop trolling this topic if you have nothing of essence to contribute. Please.
Don't do that. I 'm polite here, please don't. You don't need that, we don't need that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:39:38 am by 2N3055 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2018, 09:11:28 am »

Relax buddy, no one is calling you anything   :-//  nor is anyone forcing, compelling or baiting you to read or participate at this thread.

Do you own any Rigol gear yourself? If yes, is it working ok so far? Great  :-+

Then why should there be a problem with people that are "Disappointed In Rigol Service" and having a good whinge ?

I support them because I won't tolerate slack service from any company, Rigol or otherwise, especially on recent gear at any price point 

It's threads like this that make reps and manufacturers take notice, and perhaps encourage them to consider to lift their game at support and service

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2018, 09:28:04 am »
Then why should there be a problem with people that are "Disappointed In Rigol Service" and having a good whinge ?
Because those people are not only whining in public space but also accuse others for astroturfing when someone does not agree with them.
I support them because I won't tolerate slack service from any company, Rigol or otherwise, especially on recent gear at any price point
Than just start 100 another threads about another manufacturers as this is default experience you will get.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:52 am »

It's threads like this that make reps and manufacturers take notice, and perhaps encourage them to consider to lift their game at support and service

Define slack service. No companies won't take notice you are talking rubbish. It's the race to the bottom, if Rigol are offering no better service than say tektronix yet cost 1/3 then how will they ever lose out cause one guy on the internet is whinging?

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline David Chamberlain

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2018, 10:38:05 am »
 :popcorn: 7 pages.. did OP get a free replacement multimeter from Rigol yet?

The following users thanked this post: Simon, Jacon, Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2018, 10:48:01 pm »

I hope so, and a couple of rotary encoders chucked in for Ron   :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf