Author Topic: DIY 100MHz differential probe  (Read 18388 times)

Offline SomeoneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
DIY 100MHz differential probe
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:35:52 am »
As previously promised attached is a (now tested and working) design for a practical differential probe. The input impedance is 100k Ohm in parallel with around 1pF single ended, and is gained for a simple 1:1 ratio into 50 Ohm termination. The interface is Agilent/Keysight auto probe over a display port cable.

To do, for those interested:
Create a layout for Tektronix probe interface
Implement the DC servo through the high speed amp
Come up with alternative values for a low noise, low speed, design not using the high speed amplifier

The following users thanked this post: andyturk

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: DIY 100MHz differential probe
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:43:36 am »
What's the predicted performance and limits?

What are your tests and the test results?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:50:33 am »
It works, and doesn't simulate well so performance limits with these or other OPAMPs are hard to define. Real performance is adequate with some slight mid range gain wobble less than +/-0.5dB and CMRR falls off beyond 10MHz. I've not got any appropriate gear on hand to test it all the way out to its corner frequency so I won't make any wild claims about it.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:15 am »
Nice project!  :-+

Out of curiosity, would it improve the high frequency performance if the high frequency path is made more symmetrical ie. adding an identical THS3062 to the path going to the U2A non-inverting input?

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:42:10 am »
Out of curiosity, would it improve the high frequency performance if the high frequency path is made more symmetrical ie. adding an identical THS3062 to the path going to the U2A non-inverting input?
Probably, but you'd add noise and power consumption. Engineering trade-offs abound.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:52:18 am »
Nice. Something i was really looking forward to build

Noob question: What if i wanted to use it on a scope without auto-probe?

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:08:48 am »
Your trim pot for the HF CMRR should be replaced with a select on test resistor. Pots are not great at better than 1MHz as they can have quite a complex equivalent model.

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:31:51 am »
Using both an OPA2192 and THS3062
Gain 1x, >100MHz bandwidth, 1mVrms noise, +/-10V differential input, +/-100V common mode.

High gain using only OPA2192
Gain 100x, 500kHz bandwidth, 14uVrms noise, +/-0.1V differential input, +/-20V common mode.

For a cheap experiment they're good value, the $15 of opamps is swamped by the cost of the display port cable but it has surprisingly excellent handling properties.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 10:51:05 am »
Just curious, why not the AD8129 like the chipwhisperer probe uses?

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 10:57:54 am »
any chance of being able to push that further to the likes of 200Mhz?     and being able to connect to a low end Rigol scope?

I might be asking too much!
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:47:59 am »
Just curious, why not the AD8129 like the chipwhisperer probe uses?
Going for the dual packages offered lower input currents and better low frequency CMRR, and allows experimentation with other common 8 pin compatible dual amps.

any chance of being able to push that further to the likes of 200Mhz?     and being able to connect to a low end Rigol scope?
There are other amps that will push the frequency higher but 200MHz is already possible with the THS3062 it just hasn't been tested that far out. It terminates into 50 ohms, so you just need a way to supply the +/-12V power to the probe which is a useful feature of the second tier scopes. Other designs have used switching supplies powered from a USB port which could be added to the scope end of the cable to minimise interference. You'd want to design a new termination solution to match your scope but the idea is then you can cheaply make many different active probes to attach to the same cable/interface.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 01:17:41 pm »
Going for the dual packages offered lower input currents and better low frequency CMRR, and allows experimentation with other common 8 pin compatible dual amps.
talking about CMRR at high freq... your problem is not going to be near there. your problem is you'll need more robust attenuator front end matching network and at anywhere whereever there is resistive dividers there, those will define your CMRR, forget the opamps', except if you have nothing but the opamps.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 11:25:24 pm »
talking about CMRR at high freq... your problem is not going to be near there. your problem is you'll need more robust attenuator front end matching network and at anywhere whereever there is resistive dividers there, those will define your CMRR, forget the opamps', except if you have nothing but the opamps.
The CMRR of this series pair of THS3062 is nothing fantastic (quite bad compared to an integrated design), but routing the DC path through a stable precision DC amplifier keeps the input bias and offset currents well controlled and lowers their impact on CMRR. At these lower frequencies the simple resistor balancing is all thats needed to get extreme CMRR.

The whole point of this project is to show how to easily use the active probe interface, any number of different probes with specific features or components could be built quickly and cheaply and interchanged.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 02:26:22 am »
Measurements?  Rise time?  CMRR vs. F?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 07:49:24 am »
Measurements?  Rise time?  CMRR vs. F?
Down to DC it gets over 100dB and a respectable 60dB @ 100kHz, but with the tight packaging you notice the stress sensitivity of the pots and resistors as it changes when you twist the enclosure or intentionally probe parts.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 10:34:54 am »
I'm perhaps missing something here, but why are you using a display port cable?  why does'n the signal goe down a normal bit of 50ohm cable?  Appreciate that you need some power there as well, but It seems like a whole bunch of hassle to go to..

Also are those pins so it will interface with your Keysight scope?

Iv'e got a particular use case that i need a diff probe for which is creating ethernet eye diagrams.       This looks like it might be a really good solution that won't break the bank, i might see if i can create it with a pair of RJ45 jacks so it can sit "inline" with an ethernet connection.

What did you create your schematics / drawing in?

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 10:54:55 pm »
I'm perhaps missing something here, but why are you using a display port cable?  why does'n the signal goe down a normal bit of 50ohm cable?  Appreciate that you need some power there as well, but It seems like a whole bunch of hassle to go to..

Also are those pins so it will interface with your Keysight scope?
Its a handheld probe, having a single cable makes it much easier to use. The existing designs shared on the internet put the power supply on the probe which makes it bulky, moving the power supply to the scope end has advantages especially when most scopes that aren't bottom end models already provide suitable power supplies specifically for active probes.

What did you create your schematics / drawing in?
Altium Designer

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 03:19:43 am »
Its a handheld probe, having a single cable makes it much easier to use. The existing designs shared on the internet put the power supply on the probe which makes it bulky, moving the power supply to the scope end has advantages especially when most scopes that aren't bottom end models already provide suitable power supplies specifically for active probes.

Right got it.   for the reletively low cost, i think i can modify this to work on my specific problem, ( ie, ethernet ) and set it up so i can make it run as a "tap" and it will be really easy to use.   Now understand what / how you've made it.   For my application this will run just fine on bench..   If nothign else this will be a good exercise and some learning.. I'm goign to set it up to run wiht a Rigol 2000 series,  ( 500Mhz ).. the ethernet signal is 125Mhz, so i think it will be ok.

Altium Designer

Any chance of sharing those native files?  that would be really helfpul.

Offline MattHollands

• Frequent Contributor
    • Matt's Projects
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 08:29:41 am »
So I'm going go come in now and be a noob:
Can you explain a bit of the topology here? I'm trying to relate this to an instrumentation amplifier (which is the closest thing I know), but there's one more op amp than I would expect. Can you break down what's going on in the circuit?
Read about my stuff at: projects.matthollands.com

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 09:13:34 am »
So I'm going go come in now and be a noob:
Can you explain a bit of the topology here? I'm trying to relate this to an instrumentation amplifier (which is the closest thing I know), but there's one more op amp than I would expect. Can you break down what's going on in the circuit?
Good question, think of it as two completely separate differential probes for the high frequencies (U2) and low frequencies (U1). The original plan was to use the precision opamp (U1) to DC servo the high speed amplifier (U2A) but I didn't come up with a stable solution for that so U2A is left open loop for DC parameters of which most concern is the input current drift of 2mV/degree in the 50k impedance. The two opamp instrumentation amplifier design comes from Linear Technology and their design note (#46) for current feedback amplifiers:
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/design-note/dn46fa.pdf

The low speed version discussed above doesn't have U2 fitted at all, and has excellent DC stability.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 12:41:23 pm »
I would love to see some test results of the probes performance such as the frequency response, CMRR over frequency, step response etc.

I built a similar probe for the Agilent smart probe interface. But I se my goals a bit too high by making it differential 100k input impedance 1 Hz to 100MHz span along with 1000x gain and 100V common mode range. It was mostly designed for tracking down power supply noise and looking at tiny signals. It mostly worked but needs some tweaking that I never got around to and so the project sat.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »
i reviewed THS3062, its not suitable for repetitive full swing signal application like this. anybody who wish to replicate this circuit may replace THS3062 with THS3092. fwiw.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 10:53:43 pm »
i reviewed THS3062, its not suitable for repetitive full swing signal application like this. anybody who wish to replicate this circuit may replace THS3062 with THS3092. fwiw.
Why so? The THS3062 has sufficient slew rate and output current capability and goes on to provide separate small and large swing characteristics, there is some ringing/settling time limitations but they're insignificant compared to the input network mismatch. I would be more worried about the less capable capacitive drive of the THS3092.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 05:53:43 am »
Sorry to ask twice, but any chance of sharing the native altium files?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 06:01:48 am »
Why so?
because i burnt 2 of them already... from the datasheet...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf