Author Topic: DIY 2Q power supply  (Read 531 times)

Offline bdoriTopic starter

DIY 2Q power supply
« on: March 25, 2024, 06:08:23 pm »
Hi all,

I'm playing with the idea to build a 2 quadrant power supply, a DIY version of the R&S NGM202. So far this is the main circuit that I came up with:

Simulation:

This is just a concept of the voltage control, current limiter and amplifier. I plan to add isolated control with STM32G4 + 16bit DAC + 24bit ADC, some protection, more current measurement options, and a nice front panel using STM32U5 + 4.3inch IPS LCD, just like the original R&S device. (No fast measurement option though with FPGA  :))

What do you think about the presented concept? Is there any idea how can I improve this design?

Disclaimer: Although I'm an EE I spent most of my time as a Software Developer, so this is only hobby for me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 06:09:57 pm by bdori »

The following users thanked this post: MathWizard

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY 2Q power supply
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 09:09:28 pm »
I recall that David Erikson did something a bit similar (http://www.djerickson.com/ps-load/) which might be nice for a comparison.

What sort of V out and I out range were you looking for? Because the higher these are the more heat your power transistors need to deal with...

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 01:43:31 pm »
Thanks, jbb. I have seen the awesome project from Erikson. He targeted an SMU, I just wanted to build a power supply, but just for the sake of fun I try to make it two quadrant. Honestly I don't really have the need for that  :).

My target is 20V/3A, just like the NGM202. I will double the output darlingtons and add forced air cooling, to be able to handle 60W continuously.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 01:50:46 pm »
So far, I have changed the output current limiting circuit, to reference to ground to be able to limit sink also.

But, I'm struggling here a bit. If you look at the imeas it does not go below 2.5 (vref) in sink, but it should according to AD8410A. It can measure current bidirectional, but somehow it does not work. Is it something with the simulation or I do oversee something? No clue, please help me to spot the issue.

Other than that I'm happy with the result. The step response looks ok.

I'll definitely breadboard the circuit to see it in action.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:53:10 pm by bdori »

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 05:04:23 pm »
Of course it is nothing wrong with the simulation, simply I missed the fact that the AD8410A can only go to -2V on the low side. I have changed the current sensing to a difference amplifier (AD8276) and that works very well.

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 07:31:54 pm »
Just an FYI: the link above was for David Erikson’s 2Q supply, not his (much more complicated) SMU

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf