Author Topic: DIY Multimeter lead - how do I finish it?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline mapleLCTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
DIY Multimeter lead - how do I finish it?
« on: May 16, 2022, 06:50:25 pm »
This is a DIY extra extra long lead I need once in a while and so it doesn't have to be the best.

I have never made one of these, how do you terminate the end?  I have put quite a bit of force on the end trying to pop the lip so the metal lip holds in the holder, but no way.

I tried heat, it didn't work. 

Is there a trick?

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: DIY Multimeter lead - how do I finish it?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:57:36 pm »
Did you crimp or solder the connection?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 06:59:07 pm »
I soldered the cable into the connector.  There was nothing to crimp.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 07:07:55 pm »
I should also mention, I tried to screw them on to the ferrule but nothing seems to ever catch, and there is no reverse thread on the lead.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 07:17:31 pm »
OK, I have similar connectors.  They're supposed to just press and snap in.  If the metal part is not distorted, I don't know why it wouldn't work.  Perhaps a tool in the form of a thin tube could reach in and push directly on the flange.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 07:35:30 pm »
Its hard to photograph, but there is no lip inside the plastic part, nothing.  Just a hole that opens to form the tube end.

What a piece of shit. 

Is there a reputable connector out there?  And for that matter, making lead ends and the rest?

I keep getting the worst crap from Chinazon.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 07:40:17 pm »
Is there a reputable connector out there?  And for that matter, making lead ends and the rest?

I keep getting the worst crap from Chinazon.

It isn't as cheap, but I like to get them custom-made from Probemaster.  One of the options for ends is a retractable sheathed banana plug and for those with a mix of old and new equipment, once you try those you never want to go back.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 07:43:26 pm »
I know, but I want to be able to make cables for specific needs, for example one that goes into a breadboard lead, ultra thin cables to minimize the cable influence, little things like that which can make improve the bench.

So back to that question, who makes reputable end connections so we can diy our own leads?

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 08:00:41 pm »
Is there a trick?
bit of wood,or in my case a hole in the workbench, thats just big enough to  plug into,and just push the bugger on

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 08:13:04 pm »
So back to that question, who makes reputable end connections so we can diy our own leads?

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/159/d_AI_122505A_122506A_100_0-1512497.pdf

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 08:30:53 pm »
Now we're talking.  Hope this isn't another $$$$$$$$$$$$$ rabbit hole  :-DD

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 09:46:27 pm »
I know, but I want to be able to make cables for specific needs, for example one that goes into a breadboard lead, ultra thin cables to minimize the cable influence, little things like that which can make improve the bench.

If you look for them under their actual name (banana plugs) rather than “end connections”, you’ll find ample discussion here.

IMHO, the consensus is that you absolutely cannot beat Hirschmann and Stäubli banana plugs. They offer a wide array of types, all of top quality. A cheap plug will wear out; a Hirschmann or Stäubli is like new even after decades of use. (Pomona is also great quality, but their plugs are a bit thinner, so they won’t hold tightly in many banana jacks.)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2022, 10:47:03 pm »
I appreciate that advice, many thanks.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 07:48:16 am »
By the way, a tip (no pun intended) for temporary test leads: get some reusable banana plugs. For this purpose, I have some Pomona 1825 (unfortunately, the last batch I got are essentially non-stackable, as the rear holes are just too loose, so just bear that in mind), which have an easy screw attachment, and my new favorite for temporary leads, the WAGO 215 series. Only after I find myself using a particular temporary lead for a while do I bother building a permanent version using Stäubli or Hirschmann.

Hirschmann, by the way, makes my favorite alligator clips (the MA-1 mini alligator) and grabbers (KLEPS 3 and Micro-KLEPS, both of which let you rotate the jaws so as to fit in places while having the leads exit in the right direction). If you plan on getting more than a few pieces of Hirschmann stuff, the cheapest way to get it will be to order from Germany from a place called Reichelt. Shipping to USA is very reasonable and their prices on Hirschmann and WAGO stuff are unbeatable.

I use Pomona silicone test lead wire when making standard (18awg) leads (Mueller electric if I need even higher flexibility, but at much higher cost), but for thin leads (like ones to “DuPont”/headed terminals and for the clips and grabbers above), I like the silicone wire from a particular AliExpress vendor. I use mostly 24AWG for those, but sometimes thinner.

Finally, I also wanted to mention that for standard banana to banana cables, it’s cheaper to just buy finished ones from Hirschmann or Stäubli — it costs more to buy the two plugs and the cable separately.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 08:05:45 am »
Had the same confusion while ago, but one of the member here Franky (iloveelectronics) shared me these tips.

Quoting him directly with the illustations ...
No crimping is need for the pins.

Here are a few tips:
1. use higher power soldering iron
2. plug the pin into some sort of metal socket so the heat can be dissipated near the tip, to prevent the heat from melting the plastic cap at the end
3. heat up the pin first, then flow some solder in the designated soldering area on the pin
4. stick the wire in and set it quickly
5. push the pin into the plastic housing while the pin is still hot. That makes it easier.

Once pushed in it's almost impossible to reverse.

Hope this helps.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 09:57:42 am »
So in essence its supposed to sort of melt its way in and then become fixed?

That's gonna smell.

Edit: It starts to disintegrate with heat, takes on that shiny deformed look.  They are different casings.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:01:52 am by mapleLC »

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 12:26:12 pm »
Mueller in the US makes decent probes and connectors. Not as nice as the German connectors but you know it will work out of the box.

"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline robert.rozee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 12:40:20 pm »
once ready to assemble, dunk the whole lot in boiling water for 20-30 seconds. this will soften the plastic cover and allow it to slide into place with less force. also remember to keep some tension on the lead so that the insulation doesn't 'bunch up' and block the soldered pin from fitting into the hole.

cheers,
rob   :-)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 02:42:18 pm »
once ready to assemble, dunk the whole lot in boiling water for 20-30 seconds. this will soften the plastic cover and allow it to slide into place with less force. also remember to keep some tension on the lead so that the insulation doesn't 'bunch up' and block the soldered pin from fitting into the hole.

cheers,
rob   :-)

This alien technology seems supplanted by the Germans.  I'm gonna waste these up on some really long unnecessarily long lengths with some old phone wire and get the good stuff.

Those aliens try, but they just can't get the quality right.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 12:58:56 am »
Mueller in the US makes decent probes and connectors. Not as nice as the German connectors but you know it will work out of the box.
Unfortunately, I have to dispute this statement: I ordered some Mueller BU-P1825 plugs (equivalent to Pomona 1825) and some were essentially useless. The ones that were fine (see red plug in attached photo) appear identical to the Pomona ones (4-sided banana plug), but others have a lantern-style plug that looks like a Hirschmann or Stäubli, but doesn’t actually stay in when stacked! (Black plug in photo.)

Broadly speaking, American-style banana plugs — and crucially, the sockets, too! — are shorter than European-style ones. Consequently, while an American plug will fit in a European socket fully, a European plug may not fit into an American socket all the way, causing some of it to remain exposed, but even worse (and this is the issue with the stackable lantern-style Mueller plugs), on some European-style lantern-type plugs, the “bulge” is actually far enough up the shaft of the pin that it won’t actually engage with a very shallow American socket.

So Mueller actually now sells a “stackable” plug that cannot stack with the same model…  :palm: (As in, if you took the black plug shown and pushed it into the back of the red one, it’d fall right out.)

Upshot is, I’ve never had to deal with this kind of nonsense with Hirschmann and Stäubli. Their plugs fit into everything and everything fits into their sockets.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf