Author Topic: DIY SCPI programmable dual channel bench PSU 0-50V/3A (now EEZ H24005)  (Read 451950 times)

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
Re: DIY SCPI programmable dual channel bench PSU 0-50V/3A (now EEZ H24005)
« Reply #1100 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:29 am »
Looks like it survived.

Replacement TVSs installed. Each channel works separately. Parallel coupling appears to work but I haven't tested more than 5A through my small dummy load so I don't know whether it really works. Series coupling definitely doesn't work.

I didn't think to test series coupling before doing the repair, so I don't know whether the failure started before or after. I don't know whether I broke a relay or have a bad solder joint, but I would guess that I broke the K_SER relay removing it and re-installing it. Edit: Yup, damaged a pin on K_SER. One more thing to order!

Of course, I didn't test beyond the individual channels before reassembling the whole unit. Brilliant of me. :palm:

Thanks again for the help!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:12:04 am by mcdanlj »

Offline prasimixTopic starter

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1101 on: May 02, 2019, 06:41:05 am »
Replacement TVSs installed. Each channel works separately. Parallel coupling appears to work but I haven't tested more than 5A through my small dummy load so I don't know whether it really works.

When outputs are coupled in parallel channels should deliver current evenly thanks to software based balancing. Therefore, going above 5 A shouldn't be a problem if it already works with lower current.

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: May 03, 2019, 08:36:48 pm »
I broke a pin on the K_SER relay when I was removing it to replace the diode. :palm: Probably I had not completely freed the pin from solder and didn't notice when trying to free the relay. New K_SER relay installed, now serial coupling works as well as parallel.

Now, I want to test power on each channel. I used the 2 Ohm 100W resistor that I originally calibrated with. I can max out power at 30W per channel. Voltage displayed is not quite right (in CC, 8V limit on the PSU display shows as 7.9V read on my meter, read directly at the terminals).

I tried to re-calibrate using that same resistor, but I'm not succeeding. In the calibration wizard:
  • Channel 1, step 1, I'm reading 92.8mV, step 2 I'm reading 115mV and can't get past that point in the wizard because I'm out of range.
  • Channel 2, step 1, I'm reading 125.5mV, step 2 I'm reading 125.6mV; again out of range and can't get further.

Is there a (re-)calibration bug in the v1.0 firmware?

Also, when parallel coupled, which remote sense terminals are active?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:45:30 pm by mcdanlj »

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1103 on: May 04, 2019, 07:14:51 am »
I broke a pin on the K_SER relay when I was removing it to replace the diode. :palm: Probably I had not completely freed the pin from solder and didn't notice when trying to free the relay. New K_SER relay installed, now serial coupling works as well as parallel.

Now, I want to test power on each channel. I used the 2 Ohm 100W resistor that I originally calibrated with. I can max out power at 30W per channel. Voltage displayed is not quite right (in CC, 8V limit on the PSU display shows as 7.9V read on my meter, read directly at the terminals).

What is max. current that you can measure? Is it above 500 mA or not?
Delivered mentioned max. 30 W is in CV mode or it goes into CC mode?

I tried to re-calibrate using that same resistor, but I'm not succeeding. In the calibration wizard:
  • Channel 1, step 1, I'm reading 92.8mV, step 2 I'm reading 115mV and can't get past that point in the wizard because I'm out of range.
  • Channel 2, step 1, I'm reading 125.5mV, step 2 I'm reading 125.6mV; again out of range and can't get further.

Is there a (re-)calibration bug in the v1.0 firmware?

Shoudn't be, but I cannot remember correctly. Note that at least #171 related to calibration is fixed in v1.02.

Also, when parallel coupled, which remote sense terminals are active?

Both.

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: May 04, 2019, 12:28:49 pm »

I have a fluke 87V; I can measure up to 10A in high current range; 400mA in low current range.

In the calibration wizard, though, I can't get past step 2; I'm measuring only voltage across the resistor. I'm not running current through the meter.

(I'm not sure if I'm answering the question though?)

That's in CC mode. I can measure 40V without load, but through the 2 Ohm resistor I'm limited to about 8V because of max power at 30W.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1105 on: May 04, 2019, 04:08:16 pm »

I have a fluke 87V; I can measure up to 10A in high current range; 400mA in low current range.

In the calibration wizard, though, I can't get past step 2; I'm measuring only voltage across the resistor. I'm not running current through the meter.

(I'm not sure if I'm answering the question though?)

Ok, so you cannot pass calibration of current high range (0-5 A) or what?

That's in CC mode. I can measure 40V without load, but through the 2 Ohm resistor I'm limited to about 8V because of max power at 30W.

You've limited voltage to 8 V? Did you try to set it e.g. to 11 V, current to 5 A, and power to max (i.e. 155 W) and check if it can deliver all 5 A? If it cannot deliver more then 30 W with 2R load does it mean that max. current is just about 3.87 A?

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #1106 on: May 05, 2019, 01:15:57 am »

I can't even pass the second step of the calibration wizard, which I think is at low current range. It says it is supposed to be 19.1V and what I read is 0.115V.

You've limited voltage to 8 V? Did you try to set it e.g. to 11 V, current to 5 A, and power to max (i.e. 155 W) and check if it can deliver all 5 A? If it cannot deliver more then 30 W with 2R load does it mean that max. current is just about 3.87 A?

When I set current to 5A and voltage to 40V across 2R (not during calibration), it said I was power-limited to 30W, but it is configured for the normal 155W max. My recollection is yes, that the PSU display showed 3.87A as you would expect. I didn't confirm current at all with the Fluke, only voltage.

I am currently using channel 1, uncoupled, to charge Li-ion cells to 4.2V, and it's successfully delivering 5A CC initially until it switches back to 4.2V CV.

My assumption is that I have damaged an additional component or several somewhere.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1107 on: May 05, 2019, 06:29:09 am »

I can't even pass the second step of the calibration wizard, which I think is at low current range. It says it is supposed to be 19.1V and what I read is 0.115V.

Put the calibration procedure aside for the moment. What you can measure with your Fluke if you set Vout to e.g. 20 V, without load connected?

When I set current to 5A and voltage to 40V across 2R (not during calibration), it said I was power-limited to 30W, but it is configured for the normal 155W max. My recollection is yes, that the PSU display showed 3.87A as you would expect. I didn't confirm current at all with the Fluke, only voltage.

I am currently using channel 1, uncoupled, to charge Li-ion cells to 4.2V, and it's successfully delivering 5A CC initially until it switches back to 4.2V CV.

My assumption is that I have damaged an additional component or several somewhere.

Who said that power is limited to 30 W? Is that a message that pop up on the screen when you try to set voltage or current, or you can read that limitation on some of menu pages?

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:04 pm »
Put the calibration procedure aside for the moment. What you can measure with your Fluke if you set Vout to e.g. 20 V, without load connected?

Without load connected, I can measure any voltage I set, up to the max 40V, on each channel. According the fluke, the channels are typically consistently about 0.004V different in no-load, which was what made me want to re-calibrate; I recall them being closer after my initial calibration.

Who said that power is limited to 30 W? Is that a message that pop up on the screen when you try to set voltage or current, or you can read that limitation on some of menu pages?

It's a message that pops up on the screen when I turn on a channel configured for (for example) 5A and 40V across a 2R load. When I look in channel configuration it still says 155W, so I don't know where the 30W limit is coming from.

(Thanks for continuing to help me here, sorry when I miss the point or am not clear!)

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1109 on: May 05, 2019, 09:38:29 pm »

Without load connected, I can measure any voltage I set, up to the max 40V, on each channel. According the fluke, the channels are typically consistently about 0.004V different in no-load, which was what made me want to re-calibrate; I recall them being closer after my initial calibration.

Ok, so far so good. Without load you can set any output voltage. Therefore you should be able to pass voltage calibration (when load is not connected). For current calibration (with load connected), if you still cannot pass all steps, I'd like to suggest you to upgrade firmware to the latest version first.

It's a message that pops up on the screen when I turn on a channel configured for (for example) 5A and 40V across a 2R load. When I look in channel configuration it still says 155W, so I don't know where the 30W limit is coming from.

(Thanks for continuing to help me here, sorry when I miss the point or am not clear!)

Please note that power limitation is not calculated in real time, but only when new voltage or current value is set. Since max. power per channel is limited with used AC/DC power module (LRS-150-48), that limitation is also put into firmware, i.e. you cannot set any U, I combination that will result in more then 155 W. Therefore, you cannot set 40 V and 5 A since that is 200 W. If you'd like to draw max. current with 2R load, set e.g. voltage that U * I product is equal or less then 155 W. For example, you can combine voltage from 10 V to max. 31 V with 5 A (31 * 5 = 155).

The following users thanked this post: mcdanlj

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: June 02, 2019, 07:20:35 pm »
Ok, so far so good. Without load you can set any output voltage. Therefore you should be able to pass voltage calibration (when load is not connected). For current calibration (with load connected), if you still cannot pass all steps, I'd like to suggest you to upgrade firmware to the latest version first.

For the benefit of anyone else who has the same problem and searches: I had misunderstood or misremembered the calibration process and thought I was supposed to put the 2 Ohm load across for voltage as well as current measurements.

I recalibrated without problems once I calibrated voltage without the load connected, and then connected it to calibrate current.

:-[

Please note that power limitation is not calculated in real time, but only when new voltage or current value is set.

You would think that as a software developer it would occur to me that garbage in, garbage out.

Thank you again.

On to a firmware upgrade! I note that at least some of the build instructions (Building instructions/Complete kit assembly instructions (150 dpi).pdf) show pictures indicating to connect the internal USB cable to the programming port, but the flashing instructions say to use the regular port as supported by the more general DIY assembly instructions (Building instructions/EEZ PSU H24005 building instructions.pdf). Just a note for the next person.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1111 on: June 02, 2019, 09:56:02 pm »
On to a firmware upgrade! I note that at least some of the build instructions (Building instructions/Complete kit assembly instructions (150 dpi).pdf) show pictures indicating to connect the internal USB cable to the programming port, but the flashing instructions say to use the regular port as supported by the more general DIY assembly instructions (Building instructions/EEZ PSU H24005 building instructions.pdf). Just a note for the next person.

Yes, it's possible that in some of older building instruction docs the programming port is mentioned (and was valid in that time) instead of native, a change introduced in firmware v1.1. Therefore, all potential new builders should consult the latest version available on the project web pages: https://www.envox.hr/eez/bench-power-supply/building-instructions.html

Offline mcdanlj

• Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: June 03, 2019, 11:34:09 am »
Yes, it's possible that in some of older building instruction docs the programming port is mentioned (and was valid in that time) instead of native, a change introduced in firmware v1.1.

:-+ I'll move that cable now that I've flashed current firmware. Thanks for making that clear. Making that external port available as a native port makes a lot of sense!

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1113 on: September 24, 2019, 06:13:23 am »
The EEZ H24005 became the first piece of certified open source hardware in Croatia (link)

The following users thanked this post: TiN, morris6, jondaddio, Kean, exe, s8548a, AlanS

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1114 on: September 24, 2019, 08:19:24 am »
The EEZ H24005 became the first piece of certified open source hardware in Croatia

Congratulations!

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
EEZ Studio
« Reply #1115 on: October 29, 2019, 10:28:30 am »
We are just released new Nightly build of the EEZ Studio in which is returned back support for the H24005 project. It is inspired by an attempt to chinesify its GUI initiated by request that came from one Chinese university. That could be an interesting exercise to see if we can add such a huge character set since almost all Due flash memory is already consumed. Anyway, we could learn something that will be applicable on BB3 project where we have much more resources available.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:33:02 am by prasimix »

The following users thanked this post: morris6

Offline krho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1116 on: October 29, 2019, 07:23:52 pm »
Well at least on BB3 you can add QSPI flash and map it in memory mode so you could have images and fonts in QSPI.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1117 on: October 30, 2019, 02:07:36 pm »
We already have SDRAM on the BB3's MCU module that is used for frame buffer and fonts. It's 8 MB in size, and probably can be doubled in the future if needed.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #1118 on: January 01, 2020, 05:57:12 am »
We are just released new Nightly build of the EEZ Studio in which is returned back support for the H24005 project. It is inspired by an attempt to chinesify its GUI initiated by request that came from one Chinese university. That could be an interesting exercise to see if we can add such a huge character set since almost all Due flash memory is already consumed. Anyway, we could learn something that will be applicable on BB3 project where we have much more resources available.

I just tried the nightly build (0.96) of the EEZ Studio to adjust the colours used in psu.eez-project for H24005, but I must be doing something wrong. When I build, the C and H files are broken, I get a buch of "not defined" lines instead of the arrays and enums. actions.cpp and actions.h are ok, but gui_document.h gets this at the end:

Code: [Select]
    PAGE_ID_PROFILE_BASIC_INFO = 80,
    PAGE_ID_COUPLED_CHANNELS_DEFAULT_VIEW = 81,
    PAGE_ID_COUPLED_CHANNELS_HORIZONTAL_BAR_VIEW = 82,
    PAGE_ID_COUPLED_CHANNELS_VERTICAL_BAR_VIEW = 83,
    PAGE_ID_COUPLED_CHANNELS_YTBAR_VIEW = 84
};

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

}

gui_document.cpp becomes

Code: [Select]
/*
* EEZ PSU Firmware
* Copyright (C) 2017-present, Envox d.o.o.
* This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.

* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
* GNU General Public License for more details.

* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
* along with this program.  If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses.
*/

#include "psu.h"

#if OPTION_DISPLAY

#include "lcd.h"
#include "gui_document.h"

namespace eez {
namespace psu {
namespace gui {

undefined

undefined

undefined

#if DISPLAY_ORIENTATION == DISPLAY_ORIENTATION_PORTRAIT
undefined
#elif DISPLAY_ORIENTATION == DISPLAY_ORIENTATION_LANDSCAPE
undefined
#endif

}
}
} // namespace eez::psu::gui

Regards,

Josh

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1119 on: January 02, 2020, 05:55:50 pm »
Hi Josh, you have to download the latest project from Master branch that latest EEZ Studio can work with multiple color themes.
The Build option will take into account colors from currently selected themes. What is missing in H24005 project is that styles has "hardcoded" colors instead of picking one from color palette. One thing that is not so intuitive is that you have to first define color in color palette and then drag&drop it into selected item or style.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #1120 on: January 03, 2020, 12:03:16 am »
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Offline Pjoms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: May 06, 2020, 11:36:40 am »
Regarding issue #143
Is there any possibilities that at least the BATT command (MEASure:TEMPerature? BATT) will be implemented in the H24005 firmware?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1122 on: May 27, 2020, 02:28:46 pm »
Sorry for late response, of course that is possible. We're currently working on finalization of EEZ Studio 1.0 and Martin can add the requested command shortly after.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #1123 on: May 27, 2020, 02:32:24 pm »
What do you consider to be your most important tool and why?
My EEZ H24005 Power supply I bought it on CrowdSupply a few years ago, and it is the best power supply I have. Much better than the Rigol. I use it a lot. Every project needs a power supply.

https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/electronics-workspace-lab-equipment

The following users thanked this post: s8548a

Offline Pjoms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: May 27, 2020, 10:21:26 pm »
We're currently working on finalization of EEZ Studio 1.0 and Martin can add the requested command shortly after.
Sounds great.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf