Author Topic: DIY SCPI programmable dual channel bench PSU 0-50V/3A (now EEZ H24005)  (Read 451920 times)

Offline mleyden

• Contributor
Re: DIY SCPI programmable dual channel bench PSU 0-50V/3A (now EEZ H24005)
« Reply #725 on: August 25, 2017, 11:10:07 pm »
I just received my unit and have it mostly assembled.

The fit is very good except for the front panel: the PCB appears to be forced away from the front panel on the right side (where the two F1 boards plugin) - this causes the upper case to not align with the screw holes on the two F1 boards and the mounting screw for the front right foot pushes up against the front panel PCB.

I'm not really sure that I understand your problem. Yes, it's true that right side of the PCB is slightly higher when mounted but that shouldn't make any problem to plug in both Power modules in place.

I have same problem. It is not possible to align the screw holes on the power board heatsinks with the holes in the bottom case (perhaps with a lot of force applied to the front panel pcb???). It appears that this is due to the front panel pcb pushing the power boards away from the front panel?

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #726 on: August 25, 2017, 11:23:28 pm »
I just received my unit and have it mostly assembled.

The fit is very good except for the front panel: the PCB appears to be forced away from the front panel on the right side (where the two F1 boards plugin) - this causes the upper case to not align with the screw holes on the two F1 boards and the mounting screw for the front right foot pushes up against the front panel PCB.

I'm not really sure that I understand your problem. Yes, it's true that right side of the PCB is slightly higher when mounted but that shouldn't make any problem to plug in both Power modules in place.

I have same problem. It is not possible to align the screw holes on the power board heatsinks with the holes in the bottom case (perhaps with a lot of force applied to the front panel pcb???). It appears that this is due to the front panel pcb pushing the power boards away from the front panel?

I'm not sure what happened during both builds.  But the two power boards should plug into the front PCB just fine.  Also the top case and it's holes should be perfectly aligned with the 4 top holes on both power boards...

Offline prasimixTopic starter

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #727 on: August 26, 2017, 06:31:32 am »
Please let me know if you can measure distance of 42.5 mm between top or bottom plate front edge and lower two holes for Power board heatsinks fixing.

Offline Taki

« Reply #728 on: August 26, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »
Hi all,

I just finished assembling the PSU and after checking all connections carefully, I powered it up. As it seems one power board (03/2017 r5B12) isn't working as it should: even if every setting seems to happen, I don't get any power on its output. When I swap the boards the error moves to the channel where the defective power board was inserted, while everything else works fine on the other channel.

A fast comparison between both boards didn't show any difference, thus my post here. Is there a (n easy) way to check the board while not inserted into the casing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Taki

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #729 on: August 26, 2017, 07:34:31 pm »
I'm having trouble calibrating my EEZ PSU.

I assembled it from a complete kit and it seems to work correctly, but I cannot complete the calibration process on either channel. When I get to the mid current setting, it will not accept the number that I enter - it always gives a "Value out of range" error. I have tried entering the value in amps ("2.48A") or milliamps ("2480mA") and also tried some other random values but it always gives that error.

Board version R5B12
Firmware version 1.0 & 1.01 (I tried both)

I saw a similar problem reported on GitHub but according to that, the problem should have been fixed for version R5B12 of the power boards.

Has anyone else seen this problem with the shipping version of the kit and firmware 1.01?

Is there a later firmware release I should be using? (1.01 looks like the latest on GitHub.)

Should I try hacking the firmware to just accept the value that I enter? Or could that lead to problems with current regulation?
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #730 on: August 26, 2017, 07:47:50 pm »
Hi all,

I just finished assembling the PSU and after checking all connections carefully, I powered it up. As it seems one power board (03/2017 r5B12) isn't working as it should: even if every setting seems to happen, I don't get any power on its output. When I swap the boards the error moves to the channel where the defective power board was inserted, while everything else works fine on the other channel.

A fast comparison between both boards didn't show any difference, thus my post here. Is there a (n easy) way to check the board while not inserted into the casing?

Taki

Did you set a current limit greater than zero? On my unit, one channel will output a voltage with the current limit set to zero and the other will not.

The following users thanked this post: Taki

Offline mleyden

• Contributor
« Reply #731 on: August 26, 2017, 07:49:07 pm »
Please let me know if you can measure distance of 42.5 mm between top or bottom plate front edge and lower two holes for Power board heatsinks fixing.

distance is fine...

I got it sorted when I loosened the M3 screws on the front panel, so that it could move a little. This allowed me to get the screws into the power board heatsinks. All good. Well done on the mechanicals!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: prasimix, garnix, Taki

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #732 on: August 26, 2017, 08:50:44 pm »

I assembled it from a complete kit and it seems to work correctly, but I cannot complete the calibration process on either channel. When I get to the mid current setting, it will not accept the number that I enter - it always gives a "Value out of range" error. I have tried entering the value in amps ("2.48A") or milliamps ("2480mA") and also tried some other random values but it always gives that error.

Board version R5B12

I saw a similar problem reported on GitHub but according to that, the problem should have been fixed for version R5B12 of the power boards.

Has anyone else seen this problem with the shipping version of the kit and firmware 1.01?

Is there a later firmware release I should be using? (1.01 looks like the latest on GitHub.)

Should I try hacking the firmware to just accept the value that I enter? Or could that lead to problems with current regulation?

Please open a new ticket on GitHub for this issue. Establish serial (via USB) connection (e.g. Arduino IDE serial monitor or any serial console application) and copy debug trace text that will appear during calibration process. Before start calibration send *IDN? just to be sure that serial communication is established.

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #733 on: August 26, 2017, 08:52:54 pm »
Hi all,

Taki

If I understand correctly power-up selftest is passed but after that when you set voltage and current that are non-zero value and enable channel output you cannot measure set voltage?

The following users thanked this post: Taki

Offline Taki

« Reply #734 on: August 26, 2017, 09:26:09 pm »

Did you set a current limit greater than zero? On my unit, one channel will output a voltage with the current limit set to zero and the other will not.

Now I'm really embarrassed. It should have been obvious to me that 0 A current would mean 0 V voltage. The one that worked did probably so because it's not calibrated yet.

Thanks for the hint :)

Taki

Offline Taki

« Reply #735 on: August 26, 2017, 09:28:32 pm »
If I understand correctly power-up selftest is passed but after that when you set voltage and current that are non-zero value and enable channel output you cannot measure set voltage?

Yes, everything's fine. Just another example of hard thinking before hard working. I should have thought to enable some current  :palm:

Taki

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #736 on: August 26, 2017, 10:06:45 pm »
Please open a new ticket on GitHub for this issue. Establish serial (via USB) connection (e.g. Arduino IDE serial monitor or any serial console application) and copy debug trace text that will appear during calibration process. Before start calibration send *IDN? just to be sure that serial communication is established.

Done. https://github.com/eez-open/psu-firmware/issues/160

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #737 on: August 27, 2017, 04:41:22 am »

Board version R5B12

I'm getting the same thing while calibrating. On current, the channel only is outputting 24.850ma for all the current checks. 

Using a Keysight U1272a meter and 1ohm @1% resister.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #738 on: August 27, 2017, 08:41:40 am »
Check your resistance load when your calibrating.  I just got a new resister that the packaging was incorrect.  |O |O |O. It was 1k instead of 1ohm.  :palm: That's causing the problem with the psu not going into CC and causing the errors during current calibration. 

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #739 on: August 31, 2017, 02:57:10 pm »
Hi,
I can't connect to the Native USB port. Windows does not find the device. However, I can connect to the programming port.

When I try to compile then this error pops up;
Code: [Select]
"Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Due (Programming Port)"

C:\Users\Toshiba C660\Downloads\psu-firmware-master\eez_psu_sketch\eez_psu_sketch.ino:31:23: fatal error: Ethernet2.h: No such file or directory

#include <Ethernet2.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Due (Programming Port).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences."

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #740 on: August 31, 2017, 02:58:54 pm »
This "issue" is discussed here (#159).

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #741 on: August 31, 2017, 03:07:02 pm »
Thanks, i'll have a look at it.

Any idea why the native port doesn't work?

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #742 on: August 31, 2017, 03:09:34 pm »
Not really (if I presume that you select a right port in IDE and connect USB on right port). Hopefully that is not the issue reported here (#53)

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #743 on: August 31, 2017, 03:20:22 pm »
It looks like it - Another USB cable, direct in the native port solved that issue..
Now I just need to succesfully compile the firmware.

EDIT:
Fixed the ethernet2 issue, now this pops up;
Code: [Select]
Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Due (Native USB Port)"

C:\Users\Toshiba C660\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_psu-firmware-master.zip\psu-firmware-master\eez_psu_sketch\eez_psu_sketch.ino:23:17: fatal error: psu.h: No such file or directory

#include "psu.h"

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Due (Native USB Port).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:26:10 pm by cs.dk »

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #744 on: August 31, 2017, 03:24:36 pm »
It looks like it - Another USB cable, direct in the native port solved that issue..

Try to check USB patch cable. I've tested each AUX power module by myself before shipping but unfortunately connected to programming not native port at that time.  But still, it's hard to believe that USB isolator (ADuM 3160) that is in between is a source of such issue.

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #745 on: August 31, 2017, 03:28:05 pm »
The (internal) patch cable works fine with the programming port, so it seems to be fine. I get a Code 10 like the guy on GitHub.

Just edited the above message. I'm not used to coding/arduinos. Sorry  :palm: :-DD

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #746 on: August 31, 2017, 03:31:07 pm »
If you're on the Windows maybe you can try once again from the scratch as briefly explained in recent video:

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #747 on: August 31, 2017, 03:56:49 pm »
Thanks a lot mate - It's now upgraded.

This text on your website is a little misleading
"The two folders will be used to compile firmware within the Arduino IDE: eez_psu_sketch and libraries. The contents of the latter one must be copied into the Arduino folder containing 3rd party libraries. The directory (folder) needed will vary"

It should say to copy the eez_psu_sketch also - Anyway that was what fixed my problem.

Should i order a new USB isolator and try to replace it? 

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #748 on: August 31, 2017, 05:41:30 pm »

I really don't know what to say. Even don't know if make sense to try with other Arduino Due board since Jlegen who reported #53 said that also didn't help him.

Offline jleg

• Contributor
« Reply #749 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:22 am »

That probably wouldn't help. I did some further "research" - i have an external USB isolator module, which happens to use the exact same Adum3160.
And guess what, this thing behaves exactly the same like the EEZ-PSU, with PSU's Due and also with another standalone Due board.

It also turned out that "software" doesn't matter - the same Win10 system which does not work with Adum+Due-native does also not work with a current Linux on the same hardware.
What is however interesting - while the "Due Prog port" through Adum is detected as "USB Fullspeed" (= USB 1.1), the native port is "USB Highspeed" (= USB 2.0). This at least could explain why the Adum behaves differently for prog and native port...

I also found some sort of solution - i dug out a very old laptop which i kept for, well, things like that :), and this laptop is able to properly work with Due's native port with the Adum in between.

Knowing this, i then attached the Due-native to an USB-2 port sitting directly on the mainboard of my Win10 system - and this setup worked!

So the outcome probably is - the Adum simply seems to be a bit picky regarding the USB standard. Avoiding USB ports broken out with headers or hubs seem to help at least sometimes.
My regular laptop however - the system which i use in the lab - still does not work, and "swapping" USB ports is obviously not possible there.

But i think i will now leave the PSU at native port, doing SCPI-tests and fw updates with the old laptop (XP, uh.. :o) mentioned above...

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf