Author Topic: Open interface chest heart rate monitoring straps?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline abhishekkumar1902Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Open interface chest heart rate monitoring straps?
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:34 pm »
Any idea about any of these kinda chest heart rate monitoring straps which can be openly connected to a BLE/Classic-BT device for data acquisition?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Open interface chest heart rate monitoring straps?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:03:37 pm »
What is your question?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:59:00 am »
I just wanted to know if there are chest heart rate monitoring straps available in the market which can be openly connected to a BLE/Classic-BT device for data acquisition? I mean it seems like heart rate straps from POLAR, GARMIN, ZEPHYR, etc run on proprietary protocols and we cannot interface them directly to something like arduino, etc.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:49 pm »
I see. Not to my knowledge, but maybe browsing Banggood or  Aliexpress may find something.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »
There are three RF interfaces commonly used for these chest strap heart rate monitors:

Bluetooth (normally BLE) - not very common but there are some out there - tend to be relatively expensive. There's a Bluetooth profile for these devices - check out the Bluetooth standards.

ANT+ - a radio standard targetted at sports/exercise equipment in general. There's an industry association at https://www.thisisant.com/ and openly available documentation. Nordic Radio make a specific chipset for this and I suspect that is what is used by 99% of designs out there.

5kHz RF/induction standard. This is simply the actual detected heart pulses (R wave) squared up and modulated onto a 5kHz or 5.6kHz carrier. Easy to interface to with just a pickup loop, amplifier and a PLL based tone decoder like the LM567 or similar. Originally used by Polar, common on the cheapest 'no name' brands. There is a later variant with a coding burst as well, that allows you to differentiate between a small set of heart rate monitors operating close to each other.

I built a receiver for the last standard using an old transistor radio rod antenna as the pickup coil, an LM358 as amplifier and an LM567 - specifically to link to an Arduino. Worked fine with no real design effort - essentially I worked directly off the LM567 datasheet and breadboarded it as I designed it in my head/on a scrap of paper. It really is that simple, so I've not got an actual schematic to offer.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: chemary, abhishekkumar1902

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:51:47 pm »
Great info, thanks  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf