Author Topic: Electronic calendar for elderly relative  (Read 1889 times)

Online ebastlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Electronic calendar for elderly relative
« on: June 02, 2023, 02:31:03 pm »
I have an aging relative who is struggling to stay on top of dates and appointments. I would like to make an electronic wall or desktop calendar & clock for them. Here's what I have in mind:
  • E-ink display -- cheap kit, or maybe a hacked e-book reader;
  • WiFi connected;
  • Displays current date and time, fed locally;
  • Displays today's events/appointments, fed from a web server;
  • Display next days' upcoming events, either just the next one or two, or in a scrollable list.
  • Web backend to be filled with data manually, ideally in a nice calendar format.
Before I dive into this -- has anyone come across such a solution, either commercial or open source, or some key building blocks which could be adapted? I do not want to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks for any pointers or ideas!

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
    • Electronic projects, modules and courses on Arduino and STM32
Re: Electronic calendar for elderly relative
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 03:33:38 pm »
Maybe micro pc with hdmi output, mounted behind reasonably sized flat screen. I think that it is possible to make operating system to open certain web page in a web browser window right after system startup in a full screen mode, e.g. using command line. This web page may use JavaScript document.reload() to update some generated html file in iframe, or use JavaScript timer and json requests to update html elements in some way, e.g. document.getElementById(). But still need to do lot of work to fill in the data some way. There should be some suitable organizer with web interface out there. I've noticed that even ugly web browser on my smart tv can be forced to go fullscreen and hide all controls by some websites, but there is no "run on startup" option.
edit: automated reloading of some online organizer's URL in fullscreen browser window (browser should be loggined in to this service)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 03:41:19 pm by Georgy.Moshkin »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 04:40:20 pm »
Thanks, Georgy!

On the hardware side, I am aiming for a small footprint and low power consumption. To get actual use, this display device will need to be "always on", so power consumption is a key requirement. A simple all-in-one package would also be good, ideally without a power switch (or even multiple switches) which one can inadvertently switch off.

A re-purposed Kindle reader is a tempting option, since it would come with a low-power e-ink display and a nice compact package. I need to get a better idea which jailbreak works with which version -- the information I have found so far is a bit messy, and it's hard to figure out what is still current.

Software-wise I am hoping to find an open-source client for Google Calendar, or for some other existing web-hosted calendar. That would take care of the backend, and would allow me (or other relatives) to update the calendar content remotely, with a decent user interface.

To my surprise I have not found such an open-suorce Google calendar client yet. Is Google not providing a suitable API since they want users to go through the Google website? Am I using the wrong search terms? Is there another web-based calendar which supports this better?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 06:21:21 am »
Quick follow-up -- these are the most promising starting points I have found so far:

Converting a Kindle to a dashboard which displays information from the cloud. Includes pointers to various jailbreaking approaches (depending on the firmware and hardware version). Also shows a clever way to generate the display content: An SVG template gets amended with details pulled from various cloud servers, and then converted to a PNG.
https://blog.4dcu.be/diy/2020/09/27/PythonKindleDashboard_1.html
https://blog.4dcu.be/diy/2020/10/04/PythonKindleDashboard_2.html
https://github.com/4dcu-be/kual-dashboard

Google quickstart guide on how to access the Calendar API from Python:
https://developers.google.com/calendar/api/quickstart/python

So this looks like it will be a pure software project, with development needed for the client (Python on hacked Kindle) only. Let's see whether I can get this to work... I have just ordered a used, older Kindle Paperwhite model from ebay as a first step.

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 12:28:12 pm »
interesting, I just found out that my old sy69jl 8th generation may be "upgraded" this way. But firmware version needs to be checked fitst. Good to know, never thought about this these devices in a such way.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:24:16 pm by Georgy.Moshkin »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 01:01:55 pm »
Can I observe, with sadness, that if an aging relative is struggling to stay on top of dates and appointments, then they may (now or in the future) struggle with other cognitive tasks. If that turns out to be the case, then extreme simplicity will be beneficial.

Examples of non-extreme simplicity:
  • any means of entering the appointment info
  • having to remember to turn on the device
  • having to correlate appointment dates with today's/tomorrow's date
  • ditto time
  • small fonts

My preference, in an ideal world, would be for something:
  • large screen, possibly wall mounted above a TV etc, similar to existing "calendar clocks" exist https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354800857959 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183629698553 The latter mentions "appointments", without further information
  • indicates today's appointments as well as future appointments
  • indicates (flashing/inverse/arrows/etc) when an event (possibly medication) or appointment is due
  • no display timeout
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:03:46 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 02:14:39 pm »
Can I observe, with sadness, that if an aging relative is struggling to stay on top of dates and appointments, then they may (now or in the future) struggle with other cognitive tasks. If that turns out to be the case, then extreme simplicity will be beneficial.

Thank you, tggzzz. We are on the same page there. While the struggle with dates and schedules is a specific challenge at this time, dealing with complex technical devices (and especially with "modal" user interfaces) is another one already. And things might get more difficult going forward.

Hence the preference for an "always on" display which does not have any user controls. Input of calendar data will be exclusively via the remote calendar server, fed by me or a third person. And I will probably scratch the idea of a scrollable list of future appointments, and keep things very simple instead:
  • A large display of the current date and time on top,
  • a section with today's appointments (three at most, highlighted if due or close),
  • and a separate section with future appointments below (again three of them).
Eyesight is good so far, hence I think the 6" Kindle display will work fine. I like the fact that it can be always visible without wearing out and consuming much power. If I should need to go larger at some point, TFT tablets are cheap -- while large e-ink displays are unfortunately quite expensive. So I might bite the bullet and switch to an active display in that case.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:24:49 pm by ebastler »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 03:34:10 pm »

Thank you, tggzzz. We are on the same page there. While the struggle with dates and schedules is a specific challenge at this time, dealing with complex technical devices (and especially with "modal" user interfaces) is another one already. And things might get more difficult going forward.

I was a decade ahead of you :(

Mind you, although she was a very good and safe driver, I never did manage to teach my mother to tune an FM radio correctly - even one with one of the new-fangled "in tune" red LEDs :(

Eyesight is good so far, hence I think the 6" Kindle display will work fine. I like the fact that it can be always visible without wearing out and consuming much power. If I should need to go larger at some point, TFT tablets are cheap -- while large e-ink displays are unfortunately quite expensive. So I might bite the bullet and switch to an active display in that case.

A two-colour e-ink display would allow you to use color to highlight "do this now".

Omitting your sensible points, why not go straight to a wall-mounted display?

Or I wonder if there is any way of "interrupting" a standard TV to display "appointment in 5 mins". Once upon a time that would have been easy.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Georgy.Moshkin

• Regular Contributor
  • R&D Engineer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 03:51:25 pm »
Or I wonder if there is any way of "interrupting" a standard TV to display "appointment in 5 mins". Once upon a time that would have been easy.
I think it is relatively easy achievable by using some kind of hdmi switch IC or module. Some Smart TV's may interfere with unwanded "no signal/erc" pop-ups that sometimes do not go away quickly enough.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 04:03:07 pm »
Mind you, although she was a very good and safe driver, I never did manage to teach my mother to tune an FM radio correctly - even one with one of the new-fangled "in tune" red LEDs :(

My father has always been a very practical and technical guy, but some things are now becoming difficult, sometimes in unexpected areas. Adjusting the date on a mechanical watch at the end of the month causes much confusion and concern, for example.

Omitting your sensible points, why not go straight to a wall-mounted display?

The target audience would be reluctant to run a perceived power hog 24/7, I'm afraid.  ;)

I think most modern TVs should respond to HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) commands. That would allow an external HDMI device to switch the TV to a different input, or even switch the TV on from standby.

But in the present case, the TV is not normally running in the background all the time (thankfully), and I am concerned that switching it on -- or to a different input -- unexpectedly would be too intrusive. The device is meant to mainly stay in the background and be there when my father wonders "what's next?", to reassure him that he is on top of things. But I can see other use cases where more active guidance and prompting is desirable, and an attention-grabbing channel change on the TV would be just right.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 04:33:51 pm »

My father has always been a very practical and technical guy, but some things are now becoming difficult, sometimes in unexpected areas. Adjusting the date on a mechanical watch at the end of the month causes much confusion and concern, for example.

My father was practical too, but that did change progressively.

One thing did surprise me. While still living at home, he deteriorated and had a short spell in hospital. He was diagnosed with a low-leve chronic kidney infection, and that was cured with a standard antibiotic. His dementia also lessened noticeably. That surprised everybody in the family, but a little research shows medical professionals are aware of the connection between kidney infection and the brain. I've also seen behaviour that might be attributable to that, in very different circumstance.

Moral: be aware of the phenomenon.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, tooki

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 04:55:14 pm »
I would do this with a raspberry pi (eventually zero if all fits in), and an hdmi display. interface with python if you're familiar with, or xojo.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 09:17:42 pm »
Another quick update: Getting access to the Google calendar API works fine, following their quick guide linked above. (Using a full-fledged Python installation under Windows so far, just for testing.) So this part is promising.

But I already shot myself in the foot with the old Kindle I ordered off ebay. Turns out that a "Kindle Paperwhite 5th Generation" is not the same as a "Kindle Paperwhite 5", but rather refers to the very first Paperwhite model -- which is in fact too old to be supported by the current jailbreak packages. I will have to try again and find a proper hackable model...

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 09:52:15 pm »
When my mother was suffering from dementia, we found something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ybest-Digital-Calendar-Diaplay-Impaired/dp/B09TKKDS8T

You might want to see if such a device is what you need, before you try to make one?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 06:00:29 am »
When my mother was suffering from dementia, we found something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ybest-Digital-Calendar-Diaplay-Impaired/dp/B09TKKDS8T
You might want to see if such a device is what you need, before you try to make one?

Thank you -- these calendar/clock devices come close, but I would like a bit more flexibility in setting non-recurring calendar entries, and be able to set them remotely via the web-based calendar server.

Also, for the time being, a bit more information (show the next few upcoming appointments) seems desirable: My father can handle the detail, and it should make him feel that he is still in control -- rather than being controlled by a device which prompts him what to do, one step at a time.

And, to be honest, I don't mind the tinkering.  ;)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2023, 08:30:37 am »
Also, for the time being, a bit more information (show the next few upcoming appointments) seems desirable: My father can handle the detail, and it should make him feel that he is still in control -- rather than being controlled by a device which prompts him what to do, one step at a time.

And, to be honest, I don't mind the tinkering.  ;)

Both points are completely understandable :)

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2023, 11:11:35 am »
Why isn't a wall calendar and marker pen suitable? And/or a diary?

Even if they are not, being able to lay it out in words would form the basis of the design spec.

If your elderly relatives are like mine I strongly lean towards a simple approach.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2023, 11:18:44 am »

Even if they are not, being able to lay it out in words would form the basis of the design spec.

If your elderly relatives are like mine I strongly lean towards a simple approach.

The electronic approach suggested by the OP can be done remotely, and a changing display is less likely to be ignored than a static display. That's probably useful in some circumstances.

Otherwise, your points are well taken. Definitely KISS.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2023, 11:42:51 am »

A wall calendar and a list of appointments on paper is what we currently use. But that turns out to be a bit too much information -- too easy to mix up the day, week or month. I hope that the e-paper display will strike the right balance by always giving today's details, plus a short preview of the next upcoming appointments.

Plus, as tggzzz mentioned, the ability to update the details remotely will be helpful.

Otherwise, I certainly agree: Keep it as simple as possible. Which I hope this solution will be, at least from the user's perspective -- just a display, no controls, always there if you want to look at it but otherwise unobtrusive.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2023, 11:59:37 am »
lol why not using  google displays  ???   it will talk  to you if needed ???    why go complicated, the display is big,  you even have 10 inch ones ??

you have weather / clock  etc ..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2023, 12:11:32 pm »
lol why not using  google displays  ???   it will talk  to you if needed ???    why go complicated, the display is big,  you even have 10 inch ones ??

you have weather / clock  etc ..

I assume you are referring to the "Nest Hub"? I only see 7" models there -- which should be fine, but makes me wonder whether you are thinking of some other 10" product line which I am not aware of.

How customizable are these -- and that's with a focus on disabling unneeded functions? I only want calendar information on there (which I would assume to be possible). And I do not want them to respond to touch (or voice) and suddenly change the display mode; that would just cause confusion. Do you know whether that's configurable?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2023, 01:13:23 pm »
the Nest Hub Max is 10 inches   ...

maybe a project like this ?

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/how-to-build-a-wall-mounted-family-calendar-and-dashboard-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-cheap-monitor

with this one ... cant go wrong ??  the guy played with 24" display ???
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 01:18:07 pm by coromonadalix »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 02:09:16 pm »
the Nest Hub Max is 10 inches   ...

Seems like that one is discontinued? I can't find it on the Google pages or in any online shop over here. No worries; as mentioned the 7" size is fine; I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

maybe a project like this ?
https://www.hanselman.com/blog/how-to-build-a-wall-mounted-family-calendar-and-dashboard-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-cheap-monitor

with this one ... cant go wrong ??  the guy played with 24" display ???

As mentioned earlier in the thread, that's larger than I want. It is meant to be unobtrusive and run 24/7. The Google Hub form factor is nice, and I could probably get away with running it all day without causing too much concern about power consumption.

Does anyone know whether a "minimalistic", non-interactive setup is possible for the Google Nest Hub, where you can't mess with the display via touch or voice input?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2023, 07:29:56 pm »
Thought I should quickly report back how this project has progressed. I decided to move ahead with the Kindle-based approach, aiming for a low power, always on, but unobtrusive display.

I loosely followed the links mentioned in reply #3 above. The resulting software does not require any support from a custom server instance: An on-board Python program generates the display content as an SVG, which gets converted to PNG and displayed on the Kindle (every minute, to update the clock). Every 15 minutes, Wifi is turned on and a separate Python program connects to the Google calendar to check for schedule changes. The overall sequence is run by a Linux shell script.

I am quite happy with the way this turned out, and think that it should work well for my father. I deliberately kept things simple -- no mode switching of the display, no response to touch. I will do a few more days of robustness testing and then "deploy" the solution.

Thanks for everyone's input! While I did not use it for this project, I am quite tempted to buy a Google Nest display anyway, just to play with it -- one gets pretty nice hardware for well below $100.

The following users thanked this post: IanB, MK14, abeyer

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2023, 12:08:10 am »
Looks good, and of course I like your design's strategy/architecture :)

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf