Author Topic: ESP32-based LCD CANbus gauge: looking for a schematic and layout review  (Read 789 times)

Offline willman375Topic starter

Schematic, layout, and 3d views located here: https://imgur.com/a/A0Rhh30

Background on the project:

I own an electric-converted MG midget that currently does NOT have a "fuel" gauge, which is highly problematic for a 100-mile range EV. It uses an Orion 2 BMS that can be queried for battery info (SOC, cell voltages, current, cell temperatures, etc) over CANbus. Instead of doing something simple, I've decided to make a digital gauge using an ESP32, 1.28in round IPS LCD utilizing the SPI GC9A01 controller, and the LVGL graphics library. I'll utilize the ESP32 WiFi to host a hotspot and captive-portal web page that lets you configure the gauge. The gauge will be 52mm and install where the original fuel gauge was installed.

If this turns out successful, I might consider selling these, hence why I made a proper PCB and enclosure. All design files will be completely open source, however. But the primary focus is simply making a nice gauge for my car  8)

Random notes:

• LCD flex gets soldered to the back of the PCB, and then bent over and VHB-ed to the PCB. This is the same way many of the dev boards utilizing this LCD do it.
  • CANbus has software-selectable termination using a SSR.
  • The board can be powered either by the USB-C port (mainly for configuration/debugging) or the JST connector (when installed in car).
  • USB routing is a bit hacky because the board is 2 layer. I reduced board thickness to 1.2mm, and used 30mil width and 6 mil gap which gives a Zdiff of very close to 90 ohms per USB spec. Ground plane is contiguous on bottom beneath the USB lines between IC and port, and directly connects to port and IC ground pins.
  • The enclosure and mounting is TBD/designed. The assembly idea is after putting PCB into enclosure w/ LCD, the back of the board will be potted (or possibly just conformal coated), with just the USB-C and JST connector sticking out the top. Other tall components may have their tops exposed, as potting height is limited by the holes on the side of the USB-C connector.
  • The switch on the front will be pressed by a button that's part of the enclosure's "bezel". Screen will be slightly below center in the enclosure.

Important component MPNs NOT shown in schematic (PSU):
  • D6: SS13MHRSG
  • L1: NRS6045T470MMGKV

Never had a board reviewed here; I'm greatly looking forward to hearing any feedback on this project/board. Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf