Author Topic: ESP32 suitability as a display driver?  (Read 680 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ESP32 suitability as a display driver?
« on: May 21, 2024, 04:10:16 am »
Over the last few months several relatively inexpensive mobile phone sized displays driven by ESP32 chips have appeared on the market.
I'm guessing that this is just a cost saving measure to avoid using a dedicated driver chip.
Is the ESP32 suited to this kind of job, and if so, is this the future direction of large displays in embedded applications?

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: ESP32 suitability as a display driver?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 05:57:26 am »
When I first saw the specs of the S3 I was puzzled by the decision to remove the ethernet controller.
Even stranger was the later appearance of S3 boards fitted with an external Wiznet ethernet chip.

Now in hindsight it looks like they removed the ethernet silicon to make room for a graphics chip.

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 07:55:47 pm »
One downside, apart from only doing RGB565, is that it uses up just about all the pins.  I had to add back in two IO expanders to that design. 

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 11:44:58 am »
One downside, apart from only doing RGB565, is that it uses up just about all the pins.  I had to add back in two IO expanders to that design.
This really is the one enduring limitation to the ESP32 platform: the lack of models with truly large numbers of GPIOs. I wonder why they haven’t made anything with the dozens and dozens of GPIOs found on some STM32 or Atmega models, for example.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 12:14:30 pm »
This really is the one enduring limitation to the ESP32 platform: the lack of models with truly large numbers of GPIOs. I wonder why they haven’t made anything with the dozens and dozens of GPIOs found on some STM32 or Atmega models, for example.

maybe the die would have to be bigger to fit more IOs

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 12:41:50 pm »

Probably - also may need expensive changes to all the fiddly hand-fettled RF stuff if they changed the physical die layout.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 01:03:56 pm »

By some trivial amount. I don’t think the registers and driver circuitry for GPIOs are particularly large.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 01:07:03 pm »

By some trivial amount. I don’t think the registers and driver circuitry for GPIOs are particularly large.
No but the bond-out pads can be - look at the die shot here http://electronupdate.blogspot.com/2018/08/espressif-esp32-teardown.html
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 01:08:26 pm »

but the pads are

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP32#/media/File:ESP32-Dieshot.jpg

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf