Author Topic: few MHz true RMS detector project (schematic and pcb inside)  (Read 3185 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
few MHz true RMS detector project (schematic and pcb inside)
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:17:18 pm »
Hi!
I`m looking for ideas for ~5MHz true RMS detector schematic (AD637 avoided since it only 10kHz, thermoresistors avoided too)

The one project I grab in attachment.  (is it ok? what nowday opams and 'few-transistor-on-one-crystal' IC I can use?) Please comment.

google translate https://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irls.narod.ru%2Fizm%2Fvolt%2Fskv.htm&edit-text=

full article with PCB http://irls.narod.ru/izm/volt/skv.htm
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:22:11 pm by 001 »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: few MHz true RMS detector project (schematic and pcb inside)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:57:10 pm »
Linear technologies LTC1968 goes up to 15MHz -3dB, to 500kHz -1%,  Works really well up to 150kHz with 0,1% error..

If that is enough bandwidth, very easy to apply..

The following users thanked this post: 001

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:22:47 pm »
I don't think it is realistic and easy to get faster with a discrete RMS converter.

Besides the analog way, there is also the option to digitize the signal and do RMS in software, like some Keysight DMMs do ("True Volt"). Today a µC like an STM32F3... with an 5 MHz range 12 Bit ADC could do that quite fast. It is also quite accurate. Due to massive oversampling the resolution is better than the 12 Bits of the ADC.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:09:28 pm »
Thanx for Yours answers!

Digitalisation and absolute tolerance is not nesessary for me since I use millivoltmeter to compare levels in dB

Any ideas for this analog detector?

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
Thanx for Yours answers!

Digitalisation and absolute tolerance is not nesessary for me since I use millivoltmeter to compare levels in dB

Any ideas for this analog detector?

AD8307... and some tricky (aka black magic) analog frontend could do what you asking for if "db" is enough.

Michael

Offline MatteoX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 06:11:01 am »
If you just want to have a true RMS voltmeter, maybe you should consider HP 3400A. It can be obtained on ebay, with some patience, very cheap. Probably cheaper than something comparable you can build.

If you want to experiment, you coud try to use square law diode detector.

Square law diode detector is used in, for example, Ballantine 323 analog true rms voltmeter. This meter from early 1970s still has quite respectable specs (10Hz - 20 MHz,  the lowest range is 100uV full scale). Schematics is available online. After squaring and rectifiying, the signal (I believe less than 500uV max) is chopped and amplified. It has electromechanical chopper operating at 94 Hz.

Ballantine still makes this meter. I guess it does not have electromechanical chopper anymore, but I couldn't find the schematics for the current model (they sell manuals for $100!!!)

I got one recently very cheap but the mechanical chopper is not working. When I got time I'll try to replace it with an electronic one.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 06:22:22 am »
From what I can remember. Schematic/parts wise the 323-07 is about the same as the older 323. On my -07 the power supply is made from regular voltage regulators ex. 78xx series.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf