Author Topic: FFC connector non ZIF (snap in)  (Read 635 times)

Offline Nikos A.Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
FFC connector non ZIF (snap in)
« on: June 23, 2021, 08:55:52 pm »
Hi, I am looking for a 10 pin FFC connector non ZIF and I am straggling to find one. I have searched in Mouser and Digikey without luck. Probably I do not apply the proper filters  :-//
I found this from JST but this is not available nor in Mouser or Digikey

https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=554

I have also found this type of connector in nrf52840 dev kit (NFC connector)

Does anyone know how to search this type of connectors? I design a small PCB (3 x 1.5cm) board and I am looking for a very small connector to provide programming interface to my board. I would like you suggestions for alternative solutions as well :)

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: FFC connector non ZIF (snap in)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 06:00:43 am »
Development boards like this usually have published schematics, and in this case they show that part as a Cabcon 5141-05RZDNWR01.  It looks like that's discontinued, but google brings up this, which recommends an alternate: https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-q-a/35070/nfc-connector

I'm not sure I'd want an FFC connector for a programming interface, since they're so fiddly.  Maybe if I needed to bring out a bunch of signals for development and was really space constrained and wouldn't have to plug/unplug it often (FFC connectors are often only rated for a couple dozen mating cycles!).  But for <10 signals I'd probably prefer either a less fiddly connector that will be easier to mate and unmate, or pads I can solder wires to for development or use with a little pogo pin adapter for programming.  That NFC connector is five positions, and except for height doesn't look much smaller than a six position 50mil header.  Lots of people like the Tag-Connect cables, so that's an option as well.

Offline Nikos A.Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: FFC connector non ZIF (snap in)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 09:59:14 am »
Hi ajb and thank you for you response,

(FFC connectors are often only rated for a couple dozen mating cycles!)

I totally agree with you!! In the previous prototyping version, I included an FFC ZIF connector and I end ti up with a broken actuator after some cycles. That's the reason I want to avoid FFC connectors with actuator this time.

Lots of people like the Tag-Connect cables, so that's an option as well.

Ok, I didn't even know about this type of connector. It looks promising for my application and they provide accessories as well to combine it with my J-Link debugger. Thanks for your suggestion!!

or use with a little pogo pin adapter for programming.

Do you something in mind? or you are just referred to the Tag-connect cable?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf