Author Topic: Finally going to build a proper workbench!  (Read 16642 times)

Offline alexanderbrevigTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
Finally going to build a proper workbench!
« on: April 27, 2015, 01:51:39 am »
I've been dabbling with electronics for some years, just the typical simple projects everyone is doing and some stuff for Wiring (mostly sofware but still...).
Anyways, I'm completely hooked now and I've decided to invest in a proper workbench setup.

Please see:

Every piece of equipment will be purchased, so if you have either strong opinions that I should get something else or see that I'm lacking something - please let me know! :)
The only exception is the PC - which is built and ready to go.

I've kind of split my desk into PC (gaming, recording of music and of course CAD work) and EE. I'm considering mounting a drawer between the two 'spots' but I feel it will ruin the flow more than it adds. I'll start without I think.

The main table has an area of 180cm * 90cm.

I will add led strips, power outlets and a couple of USB hubs where needed.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you see faults or have ideas or criticism.  :-+

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Finally going to build a proper workbench!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:22 am »
Unless your eyesight is amazing, I'd recommend you get a GOOD lighted magnifier with arms that stay where you set them.

I have a frankenstein Luxo Wave setup with my own LED lighting retrofitted. The Luxo was a freebie from a consulting gig and the rest I purchased and added.

This means you need to decide where it the magnifier clamps to the bench and how it gets in the way of your test gear etc...

A place to easily store and access side cutters, screw drivers, solder wick and all the other things needed while soldering/assembling boards etc.

Drawers at desk level can be a pain, since pulling them open means that your ESD work area needs to be clear enough to access. I keep components etc off the bench and on some shelves in project boxes and component drawers.

You'll need more storage room - but that doesn't need to be on the bench.

cheers,
george.

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 02:23:05 am »
Thanks for excellent feedback! At this time I don't really have much more space than this to work with (damned expensive Oslo housing prices...) but I'll keep it in mind. Maybe I'll make a shelf thing I can roll out to where I work and then hide after I'm done.

About magnification; that's a good catch!

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those usb microscopes Dave has reviewed and hooking it up to one of the screens. I kind of think having both accessible would be nice (and then maybe be satisfied with cheaper/lower magnification on the analog one.

What do you think?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:51:53 am »
I'd recommend a corner unit if you have the space, either in the corner or with one "leg" poking away from the wall. This makes for privacy and frees aditional wall space. Component and HW storage space can use more room than you think.
Good castored swivel chair is essential.
Test, probes, banana, and mains lead rack
Easily accessable switched mains 4 or 6 way splitter board.

Want more bench space?
A slim shelf under the bench for a wireless keyboard.
Trackball mouse needs only it's own footprint space. If & when you get a trackball, you'll wonder why you didn't before.  :palm:

When doing a project you will use both monitors, be sure you have them set for easy pointer traverse back and forth.

Be sure your LCD screened TE can be read from the height you intend to have it. Some TE has poor viewing angles when viewed from below.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 03:02:04 am »
Since test leads and such are long, usually 1/2 to 1 meter, you will probably be better off storing them on the outside, maybe from hooks up near the top. Where you have them indicated in your picture, they will just end up mostly in a tangled pile. Spools of wire might be okay there though.

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 05:00:02 am »
I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those usb microscopes Dave has reviewed and hooking it up to one of the screens. I kind of think having both accessible would be nice (and then maybe be satisfied with cheaper/lower magnification on the analog one.

What do you think?

For soldering down to 0603 components I see (tee hee) no need for a microscope - the problem with them is that you aren't looking at your work - you're looking up at a screen... so there's a disconnect between your brain/eyes and your hands. There's also the issue of the field of view versus zoom and depth of field - just not practical versus a good magnifier.

A decent 4x or 5x magnifier works just fine (and my eyes are >50 yrs old). The unit I have has the optional swing down lens that gives me a total of 10x when I need to inspect for shorts or problems with fine pitch components (0.4 or 0.5mm). IMHO money spent on a GOOD magnifier is an excellent long term investment since you will be using it a lot (and more so as your eyes age)...

cheers,
george.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:45:56 am »
How deep is that instrument shelf and how is it supported?
The DP832 is quite a deep and heavy unit.

I understand you're low on space but personally I'd try to avoid having storage (especially cabinets with doors you need to open when the bench is crowded or drawers you need to pull out to access something in it) behind the main work area on the bench.

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 02:56:25 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys! :)
Some changes has been made to my plans. For some reason I forgot to put the PC on the floor (I started out modelling this from the floor bot gave up on that and just made the table as origin. So, I think I should be able to have the PSU behind the monitors.

Also, I will experiment with the placement of my component drawers, as well as the need for supports. I planned on reinforsing the shelves with those typical L shaped shelf mounts you see every day.

I'll also look into getting a proper stand for my monitors so that I free some room directly under the monitor as well.

If things feels way too small I'll ask my girlfriend kindly if we can move her desk a bit and free up room for one more desk in the room. I do want to try this small setup first though. If it's too big I'll just make a mess of it and I really want to try and keep it tidy :) [but then again, who am I kidding...]

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »
If I would be setting up a workspace for electronics, the very frist thing I would put in would be a stereo microscope, mounted on a movable arm.YMMV; I'm old, and almost all I do is SMD. Don't forget a fume filter.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »
If I would be setting up a workspace for electronics, the very frist thing I would put in would be a stereo microscope, mounted on a movable arm.YMMV; I'm old, and almost all I do is SMD. Don't forget a fume filter.

Unless you are Superman, todays electronics definitely need a microscope. I have found so may little whiskers and other tiny faults that have disabled circuits. Even world record eyesight cannot see what needs to be seen unless all you are doing is breadboards and through hole parts. Seems like any level of hobby these days will interface with SMD's.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:45 pm »
There isn't a lot of room to play with there...

But the best advice I can offer is don't store parts or tools or cables in your 'immediate' workbench area. i.e. in your normal reach zone when seated at the bench. Although it's very rewarding and convenient to be able to reach across and select parts from a drawer or to pull a screwdriver from an array of tools in front of you, there is a price to pay for this and that is you lose control of part of your work area. i.e. these critical work areas get 'owned' 24/7 by your tools and parts and not by you.

Also, I would investigate the possibility of wallmounting the monitor and using a wireless keyboard and mouse that live in a sliding undertray under the desk. Also, find room for some sort of illuminated magnifier on a swing arm.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:14:01 pm by G0HZU »

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:08 am »
Thanks for all your continued input! Greatly appreciated :)

I will put off the web cam magnification idea for now and get an optical one with lights. The fume extractor I had actually forgot, I'll add it to my BOM.

I'll start out by storing components off the bench. I'll place the drawer cabinets on top of some 'chests of drawers' (probably not the work, commode is another that pops to mind but I'm not sure if it's just hyperforeignism kicking in)

Keyboard and mouse, plus a comfortable (close to 90 degree eye line-of-sight to monitor surface) monitor setup is non-negotiable because 70% of my time at the desk will be programming and CAD.

I'll probably go back to the drawing board soon, and add in a bit more context (f.ex the commodes) to get a better feel after I've adjusted for your recommendations.

Thanks again!

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:17 am »
Things are progressing!

I had a conversation with my girlfriend, and we decided that we would clear out our 'guest room'/store-things-when visitors-arrive-and-call-it-cleaning space. So today I did just that and realize I do have room for more workarea!

It looks cramped (and it is) but the walking space will be a bit more than it was. I threw out a rusty old bed and some junk. Gave away three garbage bags of clothes, and at the end of the day both me and my GF are looking forward to having a proper work/read/game area!

Here it is:

I've sourced the materials and hardware, but not put in an order yet. (I'll have them cut it for me, so I need to go over things once or twice more). I'm looking at a price of about $400 which I recon is totally worth it!
The things mentioned; like fume extractor/blower and optics/magnification are added to my list of things to get, but not modeled.

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Offline kjs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 03:32:22 am »
+1 to that! The stereo microscope is the centre of the soldering section on my work bench. 0201/0402 and 0.35mm pitch w/o a microscope simply won't work.
The PC monitor is at a 90deg angle of the bench and by far not as important. With a 24" monitor I can see the layouts from pretty far away. A wireless trackball allows control from far away too.

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:14 pm »
Allright! So I've made some progress today. Well, a lot of progress maybe...

Here is the workstation / home studio:

Apologies for the horrid image. My phone is dying...

The electronics workbench:

Still need important things like
  • Parts for my parts bins :p
  • Lighting!
  • Install power outlets
  • Vise
  • Fume extractor
  • Magnifying light
  • ESD mat + wrist band

I'm pleased with the results so far :) this is my first build with wood. Learned a few things till next time  :-+

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 10:39:50 pm »
I see you have a knife just in case the project does not go so well?

I always look forward to the 'action' shots of a bench in the middle of a project. That is when you know if you plan is good or bad. Keep it going....

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 10:51:49 pm »
I see you have a knife just in case the project does not go so well?

Actually I used the knife to unbox all of the stuff on the desk. Everything is new  :scared:

I always look forward to the 'action' shots of a bench in the middle of a project. That is when you know if you plan is good or bad. Keep it going....

Thanks! I will :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:45:54 am by alexanderbrevig »

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:46:21 am »
I just threw a video of the unboxings together:

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:13 am »
I like your new bench setup  :-+

If you are still looking for static matting, I recommend the 2-layer rubber 3M (SCS) mats:

http://www.all-spec.com/products/TM8811.html

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:54 am »
I love your GF!  She let you buy those good toys.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 05:38:33 am »
My wife lets me buy anything as long as it is a cat or a dog.

Test equipment requires a strong business justification.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 08:53:50 pm »
The nice thing about a girlfriend or boy friend (as in my case) like the test equipment, they can be replaced with a more compatible unit.

Or a newer model

Take your pick

:D
Sue AF6LJ

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 09:12:31 pm »
The nice thing about a girlfriend or boy friend (as in my case) like the test equipment, they can be replaced with a more compatible unit.

When I was younger I tried having a backup at hand but they both blew up on me :(

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:32:17 pm »

When I was younger I tried having a backup at hand but they both blew up on me :(
I had an Ex boyfriend who had the same thoughts.
I kicked his Butt out (my place)
He took his cloths, his stereo, his CB junk,  and his HP Scope.
I kept the TV (which I kept repaired but rarely watched)
I kept the cats
The MY IC-745
MY Test gear and...
MY HP Spectrum analyzer.
Sue AF6LJ

• Frequent Contributor
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 06:38:07 pm »
[...] I'd recommend you get a GOOD lighted magnifier with arms that stay where you set them.

This!
I'm so mad for not doing it sooner (and sorry for resurrecting this thread) but this arrived today :D

Both the magnifier LED thing, and the Metcal hot air gun :)
Thanks for the excellent tip!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf