Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Flux questions

(1/3) > >>

Chasm:
Flux... Flux is actually simple.
For most applications no clean type flux should be right. Maybe in the more paste form instead of the usual fluid variant.

But why are flux pens so damn expensive?
About 10 Euro a each in Germany, practically regardless of brand and flux.

That's a lot of money for usually 10ml of flux especially if you take the prices for large containers of the same flux into account. Am I missing something?

Mechatrommer:
maybe the pen alone is expensive? and of course you have to pay more /ml for smaller quantity compared to large container.

FreeThinker:

--- Quote from: Chasm on February 23, 2011, 04:04:11 pm ---Flux... Flux is actually simple.
For most applications no clean type flux should be right. Maybe in the more paste form instead of the usual fluid variant.

But why are flux pens so damn expensive?
About 10 Euro a each in Germany, practically regardless of brand and flux.

That's a lot of money for usually 10ml of flux especially if you take the prices for large containers of the same flux into account. Am I missing something?

--- End quote ---
Well it's all to do with the inherent difficulties of tapping the flux capacitor for it's electrolyte. ;D

Chasm:

--- Quote from: Mechatrommer on February 23, 2011, 04:22:09 pm ---maybe the pen alone is expensive? and of course you have to pay more /ml for smaller quantity compared to large container.

--- End quote ---

Not really, it's more or less a cheap felt pen. Ok, the tip is a bit different so that it does not get clogged too fast.

The fun part is that you usually can get a gallon container of the very same brand flux for the price of a handful of 10ml flux pens.
But then I don't need that much and it is not supposed to keep well either.

Ordering from china is a possibility, but then you never know what flux it actually is. Water soluble instead of no clean under a qfn or similar chip that you can't really clean would be annoying.

--- Quote from: FreeThinker on February 23, 2011, 05:55:37 pm ---Well it's all to do with the inherent difficulties of tapping the flux capacitor for it's electrolyte. ;D

--- End quote ---

*g* Probably I should pay the distributor a visit. I always wanted to see a flux capacitor in real life. ;)
Actually they are near a company I visit once in a while, with some luck that should take care of shipping cost.

Alex:
I find flux pens frustrating, the tip falls apart after fluxing a few soldered components, especially THT. It's because you need to apply some pressure for the flux to flow.

There are refillable flux pens but meh...same issue.

You can use these bottles filled with flux from a bigger container. Careful, flux expires. You can dispense it drop by drop.

Then there are these bottles:

That you can use with a paint brush.

Paste-type flux from a syringe is also useful sometimes as it doesnt spead everywhere and helps keep the component in place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version