Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Getting Inside A Microcontroller

(1/5) > >>

Lance:
Okay, so this was my second attempt at getting inside a chip, specifically a dead PIC18f4525. It didn't go well. I tried using a handheld propane torch to burn the plastic off, as opposed to sanding this time. It failed. The plastic just bubbled a little. I got green fire, which I know is copper, so I'm fairly certain I trashed whatever is in there.

Does anyone know of a method I could do at home which would let me get at the die?

Hypernova:
Acid? Forgot which type that only eat away at the plastic.

Might wanna do it out side of course.

Jon Chandler:
Sparkfun did a series of posts on this subject while investigating some fake chips.  There are at least 3 posts in the series:

http://www.sparkfun.com/news/350

http://www.sparkfun.com/news/364

http://www.sparkfun.com/news/395


There are also some additional columns on dissecting fake SD cards on Sparkfun.



Jon


Lance:
Wait, so why did fire not burn off the plastic?

Simon:
must be fairly heat resistant but plastic will melt before burning at which point you have already made a mess. Who said the chip inside is fire proof ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version