Electronics > Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff

Guess What Will Happen: Battery Desulfation Experiment

(1/20) > >>

TheRuler8510:
Guess What Will Happen: Battery Desulfation Experiment

I bought a 12V, 12 AH size, lead-acid battery from Radio Shack during their liquidation sale (75% discount) , and it turns out to be completely dead, showing 0.002V and will not take a charge at all. Dummy me for not checking it first.

Since I can't return it, I plan to run an experiment that I always wanted to try. I will put a desulphator on it for day, weeks even months, to see what happens. It is running now. I hooked in parallel another 12V battery of similar size, that it needs to run. It is pulsing 110V pulses at 1 KHz.

So, your challenge is to guess what will happen, will this battery ever regain any life at all? Or is it a total loss and waste of time?

Enter your guess or opinion, and I will report back periodically as to progress.
  :-/O

Regards,

NiHaoMike:
Use a standard light dimmer and 1uF or so mains rated cap in series to a bridge rectifier. Set the dimmer about halfway and it will nicely generate the fast spikes that are needed to desulfate a battery.

Seekonk:
I give it some hope because it was never used (are you sure of that?) but not much.  I have a solar camp and get a lot of batteries from the town recycling.  When those are test below 5 or 6V, they will never recover and I would be happy with 2-3AH.

tautech:
I'd be surprised if you get that battery to recover to a state of usefulness.
It may bounce back for light use, but anything like 12 AH  :--

Played with LA desulfating for ~20 years and yes it is useful.
Units I  :-/O would produce 70V 6A pulses @ 1 KHz.

Neat to see the battery OC voltage rise after a session on the desulfator.  :-+

Good luck but I don't like your chances.

SeanB:
Sealed batteries need water added, and i had some moderate success with popping the top plate off and adding water ( around 15ml per cell) then gluing the top back down. Charge overnight with a current limited 24V supply and see the next morning if it recovered somewhat. About 1 in 10 got good capacity back, but the cheap ones never did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version