Author Topic: kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder  (Read 329649 times)

Offline tatus1969Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
Re: kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder
« Reply #775 on: February 21, 2024, 03:49:19 pm »
Sorry if this is not the right thread to post this.  I couldn't a find a kweld forum, or a general spot welding forum...

I have kweld (with super caps) and it's been great so far for batteries.

Now, I need to "stick" wires to some hardened steel rods. These are short rods, 3mm diameter, 8mm long.  I need to attach the wire to the end, at 90 degrees to the rod.  The wires are used detect when a mating part is in contact, so minimal current. (kinematic coupling)

So a few questions -
Will spot welding copper wire to steel work?  Is copper too low resistance, or should I try a different material? 

Can I weld a thin wire to a larger rod?  Will the heat dissipate through the large rod without welding?

Should I be placing both probes next to each other when trying to make the weld, or can I place one probe on each end of the rod.  The standard probes are quite large to place both on the end of a 3mm rod.  I may need to make smaller ones.
I can't say much about that, other than that welding copper wires to steel rods is possible in general. A customer of mine had sent me this picture, quite a while ago:

https://www.keenlab.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/kWeld-example-strand.jpg
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #776 on: February 22, 2024, 02:59:14 pm »
It should be possible, but you would need a tungston electrode at least for the copper wire.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline p.larner

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2024, 07:35:37 pm »
years ago at the welding institute to sit exams there was a big stainless steel cylinder about 1m dia and 1.5m tall it had a wall thickness of about 4 inches,in its top was a copper plug welded into it,it was electron beam welded,it was a part of a flask for vitrified nuke waste.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf