Author Topic: kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder  (Read 326128 times)

Offline carracing111

• Contributor
Re: kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder
« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2018, 10:25:13 am »
I bought two HP power supplies - DPS-800GB - 1000W and I am interested in buying two controller cards like the ones in the photo! Is this possible, when can they be available?

Thank you very much !

IMG_20171001_133110" border="0

Offline tatus1969Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #551 on: May 12, 2018, 11:07:29 am »
I see the kits are out of stock and I have signed up to be notified when the board-only kits are back in (I hope - haven't seen an acknowledgement).
I think that the shop doesn't send an acknowlegement email after registering to the waitlist. But you will definitely be notified immediately after I have been addding stock for pre-orders.

Is there an ETA for the next batch of boards?
My orders are all out, the only reason why I haven't started offering them yet is that I don't have definite lead times from the electronics assembly and cable assembly firms yet. They had promised to deliver that this week, but that's life...

I'm on a tight budget (so the €100 capacitor kit is too much) and I'm not fond of mistreating Lithium batteries, but I have quite a selection of Sealed Lead Acid Batteries (SLAB) from my other hobby of Amateur Radio, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning this much, such as size of battery, using them in parallel, etc.

I have choices from about 7Ah to 80Ah (all 12V) but am mindful of how impressive shorting one of these can be!  Would it make more sense to mount the 300A fuse directly onto a battery terminal in this case, and connect the cable from it to the "far" side of where it would usually be?  That way a short anywhere, apart from directly across the battery terminals, would be protected.
I haven't personally tested, but my feedback from a number of customers is that any decent and new 65AH lead acid car starter battery would work fine.

I bought two HP power supplies - DPS-800GB - 1000W and I am interested in buying two controller cards like the ones in the photo! Is this possible, when can they be available?
I am sorry that this is going slow, but it will come soon. At the moment I am working on sourcing kWeld components, building kCap capacitor modules, and designing five new products (two of them battery related including this charger). All of these are aside of my main work, which is desigining custom electronics for two different customers. I'm pretty busy ;-)
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline carracing111

• Contributor
« Reply #552 on: May 12, 2018, 11:34:08 am »
I'll wait for them to be available! As soon as you let me know, I make the payment for the preorder! :)

Regards

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #553 on: May 12, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »
I am sorry that this is going slow, but it will come soon. At the moment I am working on sourcing kWeld components, building kCap capacitor modules, and designing five new products (two of them battery related including this charger). All of these are aside of my main work, which is desigining custom electronics for two different customers. I'm pretty busy ;-)

Can you tell us more about that five products? Why I ask is, that I'd like to know what is coming next. If I today order the kWeld ultracapacitor module, is it compatible with products coming soon or is it an isolated application?

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #554 on: May 15, 2018, 09:07:48 pm »
Can you tell us more about that five products? Why I ask is, that I'd like to know what is coming next. If I today order the kWeld ultracapacitor module, is it compatible with products coming soon or is it an isolated application?
One is the mentioned 1kW CC/CV charge controller.

The second I have to keep secret for now. It is something that does not exist on the market at all as far as I know, and it is a bit larger in scale (effort and time). Besides a hardware/firmware/USB design it involves a Bachelor thesis and a complex website. I hope that it will be a large throw, and I don't want to give this idea out of my hands and into our far East friends...

Next is something totally useless, but hopefully very beautiful: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/kcube-led-cube-design-revisited/msg1482458/

Then something of which I hope that it will be very useful, while being very simple. I just ordered samples of 1.5mm x 5mm x 6mm tinned copper platelets in standard SMD reels, because I was frustrated of not having an elegant - and cheap - solution to high current PCB tracks. These platelets cost almost nothing and can be fed into standard SMD pick&place machines. You can literally pave your high current PCB tracks with them and then use standard 35um FR4 material. A 50mm x 6mm x 35um PCB track can carry 15.7A when dissipating 1W. The same PCB track, reinforced with 9 of these platelets can carry 109.6A (!!). Besides of using them for my high current projects (I will test if kWeld can work completely without bus bars), I hope to sell these later on.

The last project didn't get enough interest *and* it was not new, so I stopped it. It was a special filter arrangement for inspection microscopes that would drastically improve readability of otherwise sometimes impossible-to-read laser-marked chips: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/rework-microscope-how-to-make-laser-marked-chips-readable/msg1464441/

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #555 on: May 15, 2018, 09:31:13 pm »
Thanks for your answer. So if I get you right the only product on kweld from this five projects is the charger and this will be compatible with the ultracapacitor module? The rest is more or less another application and has nothing to do with the welder.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #556 on: May 16, 2018, 08:26:51 am »
Thanks for your answer. So if I get you right the only product on kweld from this five projects is the charger and this will be compatible with the ultracapacitor module? The rest is more or less another application and has nothing to do with the welder.

[/quote
 :-+

Online JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #557 on: May 18, 2018, 01:26:54 pm »

Then something of which I hope that it will be very useful, while being very simple. I just ordered samples of 1.5mm x 5mm x 6mm tinned copper platelets in standard SMD reels, because I was frustrated of not having an elegant - and cheap - solution to high current PCB tracks. These platelets cost almost nothing and can be fed into standard SMD pick&place machines. You can literally pave your high current PCB tracks with them and then use standard 35um FR4 material. A 50mm x 6mm x 35um PCB track can carry 15.7A when dissipating 1W. The same PCB track, reinforced with 9 of these platelets can carry 109.6A (!!). Besides of using them for my high current projects (I will test if kWeld can work completely without bus bars), I hope to sell these later on.

Brilliant! I would also consider using them as heat spreaders on a PCB.

John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #558 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:06 pm »
Brilliant! I would also consider using them as heat spreaders on a PCB.
They are tinned and thus have a high reflectivity, which doesn't help for heat dissipation. But there won't be much heat to dissipate (at least for the PCB traces) ;-)

This is how they look like, I'll receive the first sample reel in a few days:

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #559 on: May 28, 2018, 12:26:30 pm »
I have just finished the laser-cut housing for the capacitor module and ordered a few copies. If someone is interested, I have put them in the shop here:

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kcap-laser-cut-housing-kit/

The DXF files are available here for download:

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kcap-laser-cut-housing-dxf-model/

I'm becoming a fan of acrylic sheet material laser-cutting, this design works without glueing a single piece  ;)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:30:20 am by tatus1969 »

Offline biot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #560 on: May 28, 2018, 09:29:53 pm »
I have just finished the laser-cut housing for the capacitor module and ordered a few copies.

Any particular reason this is not a full enclosure? Do these caps heat up perhaps?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #561 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:54 pm »
I have just finished the laser-cut housing for the capacitor module and ordered a few copies. If someone is interested, I have put them in the shop here:

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kcap-laser-cut-housing-kit/

The DXF files are available here for download:

https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/product/kcap-laser-cut-housing-dxf-model/

I'm becoming a fan of acrylic sheet material laser-cutting, this design works without glueing a single piece  ;)
FYI:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/personal-laser-cutter/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #562 on: May 29, 2018, 06:22:43 am »
FYI:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/personal-laser-cutter/
OMG, that's a dream. But at that price, it will remain that for quite a while. I just made another dream true and bought a FLIR One Pro, these have finally come down to price tag that I can afford  ;)

Any particular reason this is not a full enclosure? Do these caps heat up perhaps?
There are a few. Less material and cost, simpler construction (building the housing works without glue, just four additional 15mm standoffs needed), better heat dissipation capabilities (yes, the capacitors heat up, that's why I added 120mm fan support for heavy duty operation), and last but not least I think that it looks beautiful. Reminds me of a vintage tube amplifier  ;)
But thanks for rasising the question! I have just added six adhesive stickers for the capacitor caps, because they have + potential and the housing would not provide full protection otherwise. They will be included in the kit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:29:12 am by tatus1969 »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: May 31, 2018, 07:49:53 pm »
Sooo.. had to try also. 18pcs  NTP75N06 mosfets (why such a lousy mosfet and 18 pcs...thats what I had in drawers) in parallel, soldered to 2 mm thick copper sheet, FR4 board between as a separator and source leads bent and soldered to another ~1mm copper sheet.

My quick and dirty mosfet switch under test:

650mV over the 600A/60mV shunt resistor so that makes it 6.5kA!  >:D

Measured voltage over the mosfet RDS-on during switching = 3 volts, 8 mOhm typical rds-on -> 0.44mOhm typical and 6.8kA measured that way. Scary amount of avalanche energy but the mosfet pack seem to handle it fine. (final use is going to be at less current than 6.5kA)

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #564 on: June 01, 2018, 07:33:32 am »
Instead of car battery or BCAP's I might go to the multitude of 16 volts electrolytics.
https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/en/nichicon/LLS1C473MELB/493-7253-ND/2548837

50 pcs of those would be ~130 euros (assuming the 100pcs volume discounts), would provide 0.4mOhm ESR and 40kA short-circuit current  :scared:

Capacitor losses would be  neglible compared to  6x BCAP 350F ultracaps with combined 18mOhm internal resistance and you could limit the current with more suitable part than caps itself. ( piece of rebar for example)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #565 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:53 am »
Instead of car battery or BCAP's I might go ....
Check the datasheet first, won't surprise me if they can't uphold this torture test for long, and keep the temperature monitored.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #566 on: June 01, 2018, 09:06:07 am »
Instead of car battery or BCAP's I might go ....
Check the datasheet first, won't surprise me if they can't uphold this torture test for long, and keep the temperature monitored.

As usual, datasheet is not much use in this sort of use. I could run just a one or two roughly similar caps in "accelerated" torture test but really don't expect to see anything interesting there.. 
3s2p 350F BCAP pack with  4.5mOhm ESR is going to have 4.5kW internal losses at 1kA, whereas 50x electrolytic pack would have ~400W or less than 1/10th compared to 2p3s  at 1kA.
So judging by ESR the heating is not going to be much  of a problem. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:14:08 am by mzzj »

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2018, 07:21:06 pm »
Took less energy than I expected to weld 0.10 and 0.13mm tabs and I was able to get sound welds with only 0.132F total capacitance.
0.10mm tabs were welding best at about 21 volts =  29 Joules
0.13mm tabs were ok at 25 volts = 40 Joules.

Weld pulse is pretty damn short and if the contact pressure is not sufficient I get loud bang and blackened terminals.
Need to re-write the program to actually use dual-pulse functionality, now the pre-pulse is already doing all the welding and draining the caps. 

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #568 on: June 07, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
50 pcs of those would be ~130 euros (assuming the 100pcs volume discounts), would provide 0.4mOhm ESR and 40kA short-circuit current  :scared:
That would be C=2.35F. With V_before_pulse=16V and V_after_pulse=8V, these can deliver 225 joules. That should be enough if you can maintain a high system efficiency, but that would mean that you need to switch a current of 5000A or more.

Capacitor losses would be  neglible compared to  6x BCAP 350F ultracaps with combined 18mOhm internal resistance and you could limit the current with more suitable part than caps itself. ( piece of rebar for example)
kCap uses 3x2 BCAP0310-P270-T10 and has a theoretical ESR of 3.3mOhms, plus wiring and PCB tracks.

650mV over the 600A/60mV shunt resistor so that makes it 6.5kA!  >:D
Great job :-)

Measured voltage over the mosfet RDS-on during switching = 3 volts, 8 mOhm typical rds-on -> 0.44mOhm typical and 6.8kA measured that way. Scary amount of avalanche energy but the mosfet pack seem to handle it fine. (final use is going to be at less current than 6.5kA)
If you control welding energy through capacitor voltage, discharge them fully in one pass, then this could work out. Interrupting this amount of current will very likely destroy the MOSFETs from the stored magnetic energy in the conductor loop.

We've started shipping kCap modules and enclosures today, here's a first impression of how that assembly looks:

Offline kulla

• Supporter
« Reply #569 on: June 25, 2018, 08:22:52 pm »
Any news on stock update, is it going to happen on the end of June as planned or there might be delays?

I ordered mine complete kWeld in the beginning of May, can't wait to get my hands on it  >:D

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #570 on: June 26, 2018, 11:59:28 am »
Any news on stock update, is it going to happen on the end of June as planned or there might be delays?
The boards have been manufactured last week, production testing is planned for tomorrow. They appear to keep their schedule, but I think that I will receive the boards next Monday and not this week anymore (unless DHL is quick). The cable assembly firm was causing me headache right from the start (initially I gave this prio 2 because I expected a much shorter lead time for that. Still, my order was on ). Yesterday I learned that they still haven't received the 8AWG wire and it was *not* the fault of my overseas supplier. They are arranging an expensive courier now (at their expense), their internal production time will be one day. I have just talked with them, and they said that they will still be able to deliver by end of this week. The last non-stock components are the brass bus bars, they are finished and will ship today (domestic). Everything else is here and waiting, and I have helpers standing by to ship out all orders in two days at most. Fingers crossed, I'll keep you updated!

Offline kulla

• Supporter
« Reply #571 on: June 26, 2018, 08:56:10 pm »
Sounds promising, fingers crossed.

Offline bluebird

• Contributor
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2018, 12:44:47 am »
Beginner here - I have a big question that I hope you all would be able to help me with:

I'm planning to weld up some 18650 cells for an e-bike I'll be building and I'm thinking of purchasing the kWeld to do the job for the following reasons:

- Quality and flexibility of the kWeld system
- 120V battery spot welders like the ones from Sunkko require at least a 40-amp circuit breaker; common US homes have a 15-amp circuit breaker for the 120V outlets - this would not work for me

What are my easiest (and perhaps also affordable) options for powering the kWeld system?

- I don't have any high-powered batteries laying around so it would seem wasteful if I get a high-C RC LiPo or car battery pack and charger just for the kWeld system
- It seems the kCap requires a high-amp power supply for charging; although I have a few sub 500w ATX PSUs and 3-amp lab power supplies laying around they don't seem to be suited for the job

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this matter. Any help will be highly appreciated!

• Super Contributor
    • keenlab
« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2018, 03:30:12 pm »
What are my easiest (and perhaps also affordable) options for powering the kWeld system?
I would consider a decent 65AH car starter battery as the most affordable solution. The other two (that I am aware of) are the ones you mentioned, capacitor and Lipo.

It seems the kCap requires a high-amp power supply for charging; although I have a few sub 500w ATX PSUs and 3-amp lab power supplies laying around they don't seem to be suited for the job
The required amperage depends on how fast you want to go. If you have time to let the capacitor recharge after each few welds, then also one with lower amperage like 3A will work. Higher amperage just means higher productivity.

Offline yngndrw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2018, 11:44:48 pm »
Really impressive project, I've just ordered a kWeld myself.

One question though, do you have any plans to open-source the firmware ? I mainly ask because I hate transflective LCDs and would like to switch it out with a nice OLED module.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf