Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen a part like this?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline nomar123Topic starter

• Contributor
Has anyone ever seen a part like this?
« on: August 16, 2022, 06:43:18 pm »
Hi all, I am attempting to refresh an old design that used this IXYS Bipolar MOS Transistor:

https://www.littelfuse.com/media?resourcetype=datasheets&itemid=9ea3c719-1918-46a5-8b61-c939be5aabf8&filename=littelfuse-discrete-igbts-smpd-packages-mmix4b20n300-datasheet

Pretty specific part and package, which is making me think this was a custom part for their application way back in the day. It does not seem like there is stock of any IXYS parts out there, a quick google search sows that IXPS was bought by littlefuse in 2018...anyone know anything about IXYS? Or know of any other vendors that make similar high voltage, high gain transistor arrays?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
Re: Has anyone ever seen a part like this?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 07:07:10 pm »
It's a full-bridge IGBT power stage for power conversion or motor control. Nothing really special about it.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 10:25:16 pm »
It's a full-bridge IGBT power stage for power conversion or motor control. Nothing really special about it.
Uhhh, 3000 V 14 A??!!??  That sounds pretty special to me!
Jon

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:55:59 pm »
Unusual, but not unheard of.  Hm, not bad switching speed for that voltage, nice.

The big problem is finding something as compact, or SMT, or whatever other features you want to keep; I would have to guess they needed a compact outline, and perhaps you still need it as small.  You aren't going to replace that with D2PAKs, for example.  Though there may be some special D2PAKs (Kelvin leads, adequate spacing to drain/collector) say with SiC inside, that do that; or, D3PAKs go that high in voltage, but definitely won't fit in the same footprint.

If this is for something like a motor switching application, where speed isn't a big deal, there are integrated modules, even with gate drivers included; I don't recall offhand if they come this high in voltage, but it may be worth a look.

IXYS has been around quite a while, though they did get borged in 2018 yeah; they have a penchant for unusual and niche parts (or, did), of which this is surely one of them.

Gate drivers, are probably going to have to be fully isolated; I'm not aware of any HVIC bootstrap style parts that go over 1200V (though maybe that's changed now that 1700V SiC are common on the commercial market).

I suppose the medium-voltage input is also not negotiable, but if that can be pushed back on, there might be a lot of savings -- not just in component selection, but insulation, safety and transient immunity requirements as well.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline TheMG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 11:01:48 pm »
3000 V 14 A??!!??  That sounds pretty special to me!
Jon

Perhaps to someone who doesn't deal with high power electronics on a regular basis. However, parts with ratings like this are extremely common nowadays in things like motor VFDs, UPS, inverters, etc. I would actually consider that 3000V 14A device to be a relatively small one, they are available with ratings into the hundreds of amps.

Quite often they'll cram more than one IGBT into a single "brick", along with power diodes and such. These are available in a number of different standard/commonly used configurations but of course could also be customized for an application. Of course, single IGBT are also available. Many manufacturers make them.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 11:05:53 pm »
loll pretty ordinary loll   seen some IGBT at 800v 2400 amps

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 12:10:09 pm »
Copyright infringement. You cant just sample my letters and add a bit on!
Neuh!

Offline abquke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 12:17:51 pm »
Hi all, I am attempting to refresh an old design that used this IXYS Bipolar MOS Transistor:

https://www.littelfuse.com/media?resourcetype=datasheets&itemid=9ea3c719-1918-46a5-8b61-c939be5aabf8&filename=littelfuse-discrete-igbts-smpd-packages-mmix4b20n300-datasheet

Pretty specific part and package, which is making me think this was a custom part for their application way back in the day. It does not seem like there is stock of any IXYS parts out there, a quick google search sows that IXPS was bought by littlefuse in 2018...anyone know anything about IXYS? Or know of any other vendors that make similar high voltage, high gain transistor arrays?

IXYS was the go-to for really burly power switching stuff (SCRs, IGBTs) once upon a time. I caught an error on one of their datasheets once. Hopefully they don't suck after the acquisition...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf