Author Topic: have you ever seen deoxit visibly clean a connector?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • 💎
have you ever seen deoxit visibly clean a connector?
« on: October 19, 2019, 07:11:20 pm »
I am doing a big deoxit maintence on everything electrical here. I am kind of wondering, does this stuff ever remove actual visible deposits on equipment with just flushing action?

I thought maybe to deoxit everything, wait a month, flush everything, then deoxit it again.

My equipment has never really been maintained with it because frankly I was just too cheap to buy this stuff. It certainly turns into an all day affair when you decide you need to clean EVERYTHING.

I never saw a before and after picture for deoxit after a month of it sitting in heavy accumulation on a connector. If its just an old ratty BNC on something, how long does it have 'cleaning power' for? Can you assume its working for an entire month or does it oxidize or get consumed or 'stratify' so you need to reapply it every day/week/etc during 'cleaning period'?

I was thinking on some seriously old gear maybe you can let deoxit sit on it for a month, clean it out, then used a kneeded eraser for instance.. anything not to take like 40 equipment chassis apart. Tempting to just replace every connector but thats going to be a fleet maintence circus. I started to feel like im sitting on a time bomb with all this gear. I feel like im going to turn into mr.carlson one of these days. When I did a full cleanup/greasing of all my hand tools and toolbox stuff, it took like 40 hours. I bet replacing all these connectors would be like 400.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:19:57 pm by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline TimNJ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: have you ever seen deoxit visibly clean a connector?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:44:25 am »
I usually apply the Deoxit, wait 5-15minutes, then use a rag, brush, Q-tip etc. to clean off the grime. If still no good, apply again, and repeat.

I don't know if it's the right way or not, but I think it makes sense to clear off the broken-up oxidation as soon as you can, or else the deoxit has to "work harder" to penetrate deeper. Again, don't know if that's true or not, but just the way I do it.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • 💎
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 03:37:48 am »
it says a few days in the manual that a discoloration can occur, but how long is the maximum waiting period before it stops cleaning hmm.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 04:02:41 am »

it says a few days in the manual that a discoloration can occur,

but how long is the maximum waiting period before it stops cleaning hmm.

I won't be buying that overpriced stuff any time soon to do any mythbusting or pray spraying  :-\
and just stay with Servisol, WD40, Isopropyl alco, CRC, distilled water
and fine abrasive tools with elbow grease
so I know the job is done and no comebacks  :phew:

But... if I won the lottery and bought a box of each of the magic deoxit products

I would spray up a piece of crusty gear with badly tarnished/corroded different connectors/different metals

see how it goes over a period of at least 3 to 6 months

and find out just what that 'discoloration' is, and whether it's conductive or resistive over time

and what further spraying on top might achieve  :-//

Anyone got an unloved lottery ticket their doctor has advised they won't need ?  :scared:

;D

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • 💎
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 04:49:05 am »
the experiment wastes alot of resources and time, if I am going to be having to spray grease on test samples I might as well just start taking gear apart and replacing connectors. It would probobly have a higher chance of success.

This only makes sense if someone else did it and published it. I feel your pain with deoxit prices

I wonder how many weird problems I will run into like bulkhead connectors being there with internal coax etc if I just were to buy a bunch of good BNC connectors at bulk prices... I am worried that I will open some of these things up and there will be heinous non standard connectors on the other side. Then I get pummeled by shipping and handling cost.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:52:51 am by coppercone2 »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:25:46 am »
It's not a polish.  AFAIK, it's a solvent (mostly naphtha) and surfactant, which serves to loosen and wash away grime, with a corrosion inhibitor to slow recurrence.

Tarn-X and others may visibly clean things, as they contain chelators that bond to metallic salts, oxides and whatnot.  Certainly, anything containing abrasive, plus a little polishing action, will do.  But you are removing material (both the offending compounds and base metal), and you need to clean the metal very well before putting it back into mechanical service (you don't want abrasive stuck inside your switches or connectors).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:23 am »
I've never used DeOxit and based on its price I doubt I ever will. What I use instead for cleaning relay and switch contacts - especially if silver-plated - is good old-fashioned Tarn-X. This is basically a reducing agent - thiourea - in an oil emulsion that converts silver and copper oxide back to the base metal and the residue does a good job of preventing further corrosion.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 01:40:48 am »
Never heard of it before today but Tarn-X styled products are here with different branding/rebadging, and do more or less the same job afaict  :-//

The gent at this site has quite a clue and very informative >  www.hermansilver.com/tarn-x.htm   :-+

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:43:09 am by Electro Detective »

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • 💎
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:05:24 am »
I have tarnX and brasso but I wondered what kind of brushes I would need to get into those things without deforming them.

I threw a buncha old cables into the ultrasonic and it cleaned up the connectors OK.

I was kinda thinking maybe if you are 'soaking' the rust with different molecular weight oils and flushing them out, might it cause porosity to bust away from expansion and contraction? does it work that way? I do think I noticed a better shine when I left something soaking in deoxit for a while then flushed it with cheap CRC.

Lol, I thought about putting a pipe in the ultrasonic cleaner and hovering the equipment above it to insert the connector into the water with the entire equipment (would love to see this setup for a spectrum analyzer)

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 02:09:01 am »
Never heard of it before today but Tarn-X styled products are here with different branding/rebadging, and do more or less the same job afaict  :-//

The gent at this site has quite a clue and very informative >  www.hermansilver.com/tarn-x.htm   :-+

Maybe I'm being overly defensive of Tarn-X and those recommending it (I've never heard of the stuff before), but maybe a visually appealing polished finished on a teapot is a very different end goal than a reliable, clean switch contact?

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:21:48 am »
and fine abrasive tools with elbow grease

I can clean the bird poop off my car with 400 wet and dry too. Doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job.

For the record I use Deoxit but I tend to use the 100% liquid, a bit of a soak then a rub with a q-tip and then a flush with IPA. My little 7.4ml bottle has about 1/3rd left and it has seen a *lot* of use over the last 7 years. I suppose I should buy some more.

I've seen corrosion turn green and float on top of a little pool of Deoxit, so it does what it says on the tin. I do have some of the 5% spray, but I don't tend to use it unless it's somewhere I literally can't get into with a brush or other instrument of non-destruction. Again, my 200g spray can has lasted about 5 years so far. Most cleaning is just generic spray contact cleaner or IPA, but when you need Deoxit it's handy to have in the tool box.

These days the spray is a light hydrocarbon. The "flush" part used to be a Chlorocarbon which was a bit more effective, but I've certainly seen it lift corrosion.

Just a single data-point from someone who does use it, versus the "I've never used the overpriced junk and I never will because XXX works so much better" without actually having a point to compare with.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 08:23:45 am »
I can clean the bird poop off my car with 400 wet and dry too. Doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job.
Just a single data-point from someone who does use it, versus the "I've never used the overpriced junk and I never will because XXX works so much better" without actually having a point to compare with.

Too true, and valid for far more topics than this!

I'd like to hear what a professional metrologist does. Unfortunately it will probably involve extreme care being taken with cleanliness and storage :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 08:44:41 am »

The real deal 'magic in a can' for techs in my woods for many years was the Philips 390CCS Contact Cleaner,
I still praise in my thoughts the stranger alongside me waiting at a parts counter that put me on to it  :clap: 

literally 'magic in a can' till it stopped being imported due to some BS reasons, none of them financial, 

reasons that somehow did not affect Deoxit shipping here and selling for insane prices

I refuse to pay their 'monopoly' prices on principle first and thrift second,
prices they should have reduced by now, as you don't see  'magic in a can' WD40 and CRC long timers screwing over their addicted buyers.   

I will make do as I have successfully using alternative methods with off the shelf bricks and mortar seller fair priced products that work 

Deoxit CEOs and investards waiting on a dividend percentage from me to buy a midi sized spray can for top dollar, will have a long wait...   :=\

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 10:53:23 am »
Anyone else remember Cramolin and Deoxit being pushed as Audiophool products back in the '80s.  >:D

I stick with Electrolube EML - It's sensibly priced!  https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=eml
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:56:00 am by Gyro »
Chris

"Victor Meldrew, the Crimson Avenger!"

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 01:34:46 pm »
For connectors, potentiometers and switches I use Teslanol tuner spray (mild cleaner, lubricant and protection). In case of a crusty connector I apply something more aggressive like Kontakt 60 first, clean the contacts and finish off with the tuner spray. And a vaseline spray is great to protect contacts in harsh environments.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 02:15:26 pm »

What's with the passive-aggressiveness? I didn't say Tarn-X works better than anything else, I just said that it works well enough the few times I've used it. My main beef with DeOxit is that it is awfully expensive, but almost as important is that the active ingredient is "proprietary" and unknown. Is it safe to leave any residue behind? Who knows. Will it damage certain plastics, etc.? Who knows. Is it anything more than glorified WD-40 with some red dye in it? Who knows.

Maybe it is so far superior to homebrew solutions that it justifies the price, but, again, without knowing what is in it - even generally - I can't really buy into the hype.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 02:39:26 pm »
Anyone else remember Cramolin and Deoxit being pushed as Audiophool products back in the '80s.  >:D

I stick with Electrolube EML - It's sensibly priced!  https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=eml
Deodit is still sold here in musical instruments stores.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline StuartA

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 03:47:58 pm »
. My main beef with DeOxit is that it is awfully expensive, but almost as important is that the active ingredient is "proprietary" and unknown. Is it safe to leave any residue behind? Who knows. Will it damage certain plastics, etc.? Who knows. Is it anything more than glorified WD-40 with some red dye in it? Who knows.

Maybe it is so far superior to homebrew solutions that it justifies the price, but, again, without knowing what is in it - even generally - I can't really buy into the hype.

I once sprayed Deoxit in to valve base, gave the base a good shaking and put it to one side for a few minutes to dry. I then started to solder to it and was quite surprised that it still wet with Deoxit down inside the pins, and visible fumes were coming off the base as the heat from soldering got to the Deoxit. The fumes that came off were quite choking and severely irritating to my nose and throat. I've worked with very many chemicals, and the Deoxit fumes were quite unlike anything I can recall. I certainly will make sure I don't have another experience like that.

As to its effectiveness as a cleaning agent, I cannot say that I've had any experience with it that would justify the price, but I am aware of colleagues who say that they have had positive results from it when other materials have failed.

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker, Electro Detective

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • Behind every alfoil hat is a genius
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 07:08:53 am »
Yes, but do they have the magic black beauty and bumblebee capacitors? That would complete the "necessities" along with a gold plated line cord.
From what I read, De-Oxit is made from oleic acid and naphtha. You can make your own. It's all over the interwebs.

Quote from: Bud on Yesterday at 23:39:26>Quote from: Gyro on Yesterday at 19:53:23

I stick with Electrolube EML - It's
sensibly priced!  https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=eml
Deodit is still sold here in musical instruments stores.
Voltage does not flow, nor does it go.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 07:18:11 am »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet; Deoxit seems to perform very well in this video (although I realise this is prevention, not cleaning, and says nothing about whether the price is reasonable):

I think De-Oxit is made from more than just oleic acid and naphtha, even if those are majority ingredients.

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • Behind every alfoil hat is a genius
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 07:38:03 am »
See dealer for details. Substantial penalties for early withdrawal. Itching, sneezing, and rash or death may result, symptoms similar to a sugar pill. Let the home chemist beware.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=947353#p947353

https://rec.antiques.radio-phono.narkive.com/gJi4Xs3i/deoxit-formulation
Voltage does not flow, nor does it go.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:46 am »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet; Deoxit seems to perform very well in this video
Oh you bastard, I was just done collecting the links etc & ready to post.  ;D

Anyways, that saves me the introductory blah, so just the info dump here:

Patent PDF in attachment.

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:54 am »
See dealer for details. Substantial penalties for early withdrawal. Itching, sneezing, and rash or death may result, symptoms similar to a sugar pill. Let the home chemist beware.

You know, it's advertised that it strips the oxide off connectors, wouldn't it be surprising if it were safe to snort?

Whenever I see multiple warning labels on a bottle, I just take that as an invitation to take relevant precautions, not a reason to run. In fact, I generally think to myself "Hey, this might actually have the chemical potency to actually do something useful!"

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 01:11:16 pm »
I think De-Oxit is made from more than just oleic acid and naphtha, even if those are majority ingredients.

Interesting, but note that the MSDS for the D100 formulation lists it as containing 100% of the secret ingredient. It also says the pH is non-applicable, and even a weak carboxylic acid like oleic should at least be somewhat less than 7 (though I seem to vaguely recall that pH doesn't work unless water is present?).

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 03:16:09 pm »
Oleic acid isn't soluble enough in water to have a significant pH.  (It can still be measured, but it would be measured from its conjugate base.)  The other stuff I don't think ionizes much either (I forget, mercaptans are probably more acidic than alcohols at least, but that's not saying much).  More important is the effect on metals -- again, chelating their ions.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf