Author Topic: HDMI zoom/pan dongle?  (Read 955 times)

Offline nfmaxTopic starter

• Super Contributor
HDMI zoom/pan dongle?
« on: April 01, 2019, 07:31:09 am »
Does anyone know of a device with an HDMI input and output that can select a window within the input image and magnify it (e.g. by repeating pixels) onto its output? An elderly relative with macular degeneration lost her old video magnifier, which used a builtin CRT display and could do this, in a house fire. The replacement is much smaller and does OCR and text to speech, but doesn't offer simple magnification  :palm: Really don't want to have to use a second device like a USB microscope, with controls that are not optimised for the partially-sighted (or in some cases, for any sort of human)

It sounds like a pretty simple job for an FPGA  with the right IO, but I haven't done anything with FPGAs for nearly 30 years (the very first, original Xilinx chip!)

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: HDMI zoom/pan dongle?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 12:39:30 am »
Any modern PC should be capable of it as part of the window manager.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 07:20:27 am »
Any modern PC should be capable of it as part of the window manager.
Indeed. But although the reader device obviously uses an embedded PC (judging by the time it takes to boot) there is no way to access its window manager. :( Possibly a Raspberry Pi with an HDMI input board might work in this way - but I have no relevant experience and insufficient knowledge to determine this.

Offline PETER ERSKINE

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:50:30 pm »
Does anyone know of a device with an HDMI input and output that can select a window within the input image and magnify it (e.g. by repeating pixels) onto its output? An elderly relative with macular degeneration lost her old video magnifier, which used a builtin CRT display and could do this, in a house fire. The replacement is much smaller and does OCR and text to speech, but doesn't offer simple magnification  :palm: Really don't want to have to use a second device like a USB microscope, with controls that are not optimised for the partially-sighted (or in some cases, for any sort of human)

It sounds like a pretty simple job for an FPGA  with the right IO, but I haven't done anything with FPGAs for nearly 30 years (the very first, original Xilinx chip!)

Windows magnifier should work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 02:10:19 pm »
THIS IS NOT A PC! :palm:

It is a standalone visual aid for the partially sighted. There is no access to the internal gubbins

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf