Author Topic: Help Me Design my SMPS  (Read 11772 times)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Re: Help Me Design my SMPS
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 10:45:01 am »
I think a simple solution is to have a buck pre-regulator followed by a linear post regulator. Something like LT3081 which offers 1.5A or LT3083 for 3A. Switching pre-regulator should be relatively easy as there are many designs in the forum which has one, including my own which has SEPIC pre-regulator with a N-channel MOSFET post regulator.

Offline debininja

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 07:14:41 pm »

http://schmidt-walter-schaltnetzteile.de/smps_e/smps_e.html

I can't recommend this site highly enough for the beginning (or even an old pro) switcher designer. It's very handy and fairly accurate.

HINT - You always design the buck inductor for the maximum input - output differential at maximum load current.

PERFECT. That will help me out nicely since I'm in the works of making my first SMPS. A little 5V 1A flyback. It's just about done. I need to redo the transformer windings.

Offline John_HofmeyrTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »
Ok, so I took a look at this website (http://www.smps.us/topologies.html) to see what different topologies there are and I'm thinking of either a half bridge isolated buck converter or just a plain old buck converter. I'm leaning towards the isolated half bridge because according to the graph at the bottom of the website a half bridge converter will be able to handle the 90-120W of power that I want this supply to be rated at. Which one would you guys recomend.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:58 pm »
So you're intending to use a buck converter? That will work fine for the higher any of the voltage range but will become challenging at low voltages. Why not shoot for a voltage half way between the two, about 12V to 15V, then use buck-boost? Despite the extra complexity it'll make achieving the large range of voltages easier.

The buck-boost (aka non-isolated flyback) also subjects the semiconductors, input and output capacitors to high stresses, and also suffers from the right half plane zero if the inductor current goes continuous. Without a transformer the output polarity is inverted as well.
I was referring to the type of buck-boost converter made with four switches, two transistors and two diodes. The output voltage is the same polarity as the input and it's no more stressful to the semiconductors than the standard boost and buck configurations. For a 0 to 30V output design, an input voltage of just under half the maximum would work nicely. The main disadvantages are increased complexity and switching losses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck%E2%80%93boost_converter#Principles_of_operation_of_the_4-switch_topology_by_vannak_pov

The following users thanked this post: John_Hofmeyr

Offline John_HofmeyrTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 01:17:36 am »
Ok so I have been doing some reaserch and this is the B.O.M I have come up with. If I'm missing anything (mostlikely) please let me know.

Topology: Buck/Boost converter

BOM:

Switch controller - SG3525A

MOSFETS - IRFZ48N

Shotky Diode - FFSP10120A

100uH Inductor rated at 15A

Some random huge full bridge rectifier from a pc power supply

120vAC to 20VAC transformer

ATtiny85 for temp regulation

10K thermistor for temperature

Voltage and current readout

LT1084 for final regulation