Author Topic: My Way Over-Engineered 8 Ohm Dummy Load!  (Read 2898 times)

Offline SmokyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
My Way Over-Engineered 8 Ohm Dummy Load!
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:25:07 am »
During my last stereo repair project I needed an 8 Ohm dummy load for testing the output. Since I plan to work on tube amplifiers and vintage receivers in the 20-50 Watt output range, I bought two Riedon 50 Watt 8 Ohm chassis mount wirewounds.

I come to find out that non-inductive resistors should be used for audio, but what I bought, are not the non-inductive type.

Since I had already mounted the wirewound resistors, I connected them to my LC102 meter, and they measure 1.02 and 1.04 microhenries respectively.

Would it be best to find a non-inductive replacement or will these Riedon resistors work Ok? They appear to but I'm not really sure what the added inductance affects.

I did find these Caddock MP9100 non-inductive TO-247 resistors that I think might work since I already drilled and tapped several #6-32 threads into the base of this four pound Apple Computer heat sink :)

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/caddock-electronics-inc/MP9100-8-00-1/MP9100-8-00F-ND/3013579

I did continue with the dummy load project...

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

• Frequent Contributor
Re: My Way Over-Engineered 8 Ohm Dummy Load!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:28:05 am »
I started with the base and a piece of aluminum angle to mount a few speaker terminals and the resistors...

The terminals work well since the banana to BNC cables to the oscilloscope and the speaker wires can be mounted simultaneously...

I added a 12VDC plug too so to power two small Sunon fans :)   btw, they're actually running in this picture!

They have what Sunon calls "Vapo" bearings. The fans were mounted using small SS pin nails cut and polished and pressed into holes drilled in the aluminum:

I made the small cable clamp from an aluminum gutter outlet:

I found out that my old security camera wall-wart fits the plug too:

Here's a shot through the fins. I do feel a good breeze on the opposite side:

And since there is still plenty of space on the base of the heat sink, and I have an extra pair of speaker binding posts, I may add one 4 ohm 100 Watt Caddock Thick-film TO-247 resistor and hang it off of the back?

Anyway, I haven't much time since I work construction this time of year, I wanted to fit this in and be ready for the Fall electronics projects!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:55:06 am by Smoky »

Offline oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:56:14 am »
Would it be best to find a non-inductive replacement or will these Riedon resistors work Ok? They appear to but I'm not really sure what the added inductance affects.

It depends what your use case is. If you are going to be looking at the amp output on a 'scope to see clipping and estimate power then ordinary power resistors are adequate. If you are doing measurements with something like a AP or QA box then you would want as close to a pure resistive load as you can get.

The following users thanked this post: Smoky

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 02:30:27 am »
During my last stereo repair project I needed an 8 Ohm dummy load for testing the output. Since I plan to work on tube amplifiers and vintage receivers in the 20-50 Watt output range, I bought two Riedon 50 Watt 8 Ohm chassis mount wirewounds.

I come to find out that non-inductive resistors should be used for audio, but what I bought, are not the non-inductive type.

Since I had already mounted the wirewound resistors, I connected them to my LC102 meter, and they measure 1.02 and 1.04 microhenries respectively.

I did find these Caddock MP9100 non-inductive TO-247 resistors that I think might work since I already drilled and tapped several #6-32 threads into the base of this four pound Apple Computer heat sink :)

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/caddock-electronics-inc/MP9100-8-00-1/MP9100-8-00F-ND/3013579

(Attachment Link)

Very pretty - you do very nice work!

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 02:30:55 am »
Nice work :)

This is what I have been using for years on power amps to up to 1000W.
It is a 10 ohm load but you can make an 8, 6, 4, 2 ohm if you like using a jumper with alligator clips. All resistive old type.
Fill the plate with DI water or oil as needed. Just plain air is good to 100W with fan. Price performance ratio....

Real speakers will be resistive, inductive and phase reactive with enclosure air load and resonators and crossovers networks as viewed from the amp.
Just walking in front of the enclosure will change parameters.

All depend on what you are trying to measure with its internal feedback loop (including the wires to the speakers)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:03:52 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

The following users thanked this post: Smoky, Vovk_Z

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 05:08:45 pm »

(Attachment Link)

1 uH will not make a difference.  There is that much inductance probably in speaker leads.  at 10 kHz the reactive impedance is .0628 ohms for 1 uH. .12 ohms for 20 kHz. 

Nice construction job.   

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username, Smoky

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:09:46 pm »
Low value wire-wound resistors lack enough inductance to matter.  In the larger scheme of things, realistic results require a load which simulates the reactance of a loudspeaker with considerable reactive components.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02:55 pm »
Speakers are inductive loads so standard wirewound resistors will work just fine - in fact, it's sometimes necessary to add extra inductance to truly emulate a speaker.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:17 am »
Speakers are inductive loads so standard wirewound resistors will work just fine - in fact, it's sometimes necessary to add extra inductance to truly emulate a speaker.

The inductance of the low valued wirewound resistors required is insignificant compared to the inductance of the voice coil (about 1 mH) and inductance of the mechanical resonance (about 50 mH).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 01:40:43 am »
If I was to describe in a few words my current and future world of electronics, it would be to repair old stereo equipment and to be able to accurately measure their performance.

My #1 goal for tube amplifiers is to bring the noise floor at idle to the lowest level as possible measured at the speaker terminals. No signal at input and we're talking about a mono tube amplifier with no preamplifier attached.

Should I be probing the speaker terminals with or without a dummy load to get the most accurate voltage measurement?

I am trying to measure the noise that the circuitry within the amplifier is creating/adding.

Thank you for all of the great advice and insight  :-+

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 03:04:18 am »
You should never power up a transformer-output tube amplifier without a connected load at all.  And as for measurements and adjustments, generally everything is done with a load connected.  Your resistor bank should see regular use if that is what you are doing.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 03:08:08 am »
its not overengineered at all. its unfinished

metal grill, fuse, chassis, handle, thermostat

wood is not even polished so dont start lol'

the only over engineered part is the sticker on the heat sink
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:10:16 am by coppercone2 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 04:01:37 am »
Up until now, I've been using a small Bose 101 speaker when taking measurements. I just measured the Bose speaker with my DMM and it reads 3.8 Ohms.

From here on, I'll use the correct value of dummy load that matches the speaker terminals.

I went ahead and ordered one of the Caddock MP9100 4 Ohm 100 Watt resistors to add the bottom of the heat sink to cover that value. I'll just measure one channel at a time with it.

Heck, I'm thinking now, it might even be more wise since using the same dummy load would remove a variable and more accurately reveal any difference in the "gain" between two mono amps.

Offline oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 04:17:33 am »
The two 8 ohm resistors you have can be connected in parallel for 4 ohms.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 05:20:41 am »
The two 8 ohm resistors you have can be connected in parallel for 4 ohms.

You guys are worth an absolute fortune ;D

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 11:30:23 am »
Don’t forget the leads have resistance, so that amp load will be a bit more than 8 ohm, 4 ohm. ie use thick leads.
Glenn

Offline BreakingOhmsLaw

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 10:24:51 pm »
Big ass dummy load thread? Big ass dummy load thread!
Say hello to my little friend:
IMG-20200524-002135" border="0

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf