Author Topic: Help with part of a schematic  (Read 1432 times)

Offline mayorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Help with part of a schematic
« on: June 30, 2022, 04:54:48 pm »
Hello,

in this circuit: https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/8/87/E-Paper-Driver-HAT-Schematic.pdf

I am wondering why not drive the gate of the mosfet directly (threshold voltage is manageable)?

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help with part of a schematic
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 05:29:43 pm »
Depends on the supply of the driving circuit, if it is not supplied, the MOSFET could be turned on by the current through the protection diodes of the IC or uC.
Decoupling via a transistor solves this issue.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 06:18:56 pm »
Depends on the supply of the driving circuit, if it is not supplied, the MOSFET could be turned on by the current through the protection diodes of the IC or uC.
Decoupling via a transistor solves this issue.

So to clarify, if the gate is actively driven with a GPIO? Wouldn't that be fine?

Online moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 10:50:05 pm »
There is a bit of logic going on between the VCC_EN and EPD_RST as well as just enabling the supply.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 12:08:03 am »
There is a bit of logic going on between the VCC_EN and EPD_RST as well as just enabling the supply.

Yeah but even then, the transistor isn't necessary for that bit, right?

Offline antenna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 12:22:03 am »
i didnt look at the datasheet, but here is a simple reason I would have that transistor there... Most mosfets are not fully "on" at 4 or 5v whatever Vgs..  To make sure it is all the way on and off at max current capability, its best to drive the gate as close to the rail voltages as you can.  If you don't, there could be some extra Rds you dont want and it will get hot.

Online moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 01:50:50 am »

Yeah but even then, the transistor isn't necessary for that bit, right?

But the transistor makes life easier and better, for the other reasons mentioned as well.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 02:43:59 am »
Another factor: this is a board intended for a RPi. Its GPIOs are 3.3V, but the PMOS switches VCC_INT which is 5V here if I'm not mistaken.

Meaning that if the gate was directly connected to a GPIO, it may not be able to switch off the PMOS properly. There is a pull up to VCC_INT, but it will do nothing when the RPi is actively controlling the GPIO. It will keep the PMOS switched off when the GPIO is in high impedance though.

The fact that you'd find 5V on the GPIO through a 47k resistor would be harmless per se for the GPIO itself when it's in high impedance.

I don't know enough about the RPi GPIOs, and the library/language used here, to know if you can properly put them in high impedance programmatically. If so, a program could just set the GPIO to output/low level to switch the PMOS on, and set it to high impedance to switch the PMOS off, instead of setting it to a high level (which again would probably not work well.)

Offline Daniel Perez LW1ECP

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 03:26:44 am »
I began writing this:
I see Q31's source terminal is connected to 5V from RPI, and U1 is fed with 5V. As U1's EPD RST swings between 0V and 5V, then it's ok to drive the MOS without Q32 and resistors. But you need to change something in software to reverse states, because Q32 is an inverting stage.

BUT I was wrong! I was missing the VCC ENable line: it feeds the EPD RST to U2 to enable the regulator, so you can't invert state in software, or else U2 will work the opposite.
In a nutshell: leave the schematic as is.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 11:23:18 am »
Meaning that if the gate was directly connected to a GPIO, it may not be able to switch off the PMOS properly. There is a pull up to VCC_INT, but it will do nothing when the RPi is actively controlling the GPIO. It will keep the PMOS switched off when the GPIO is in high impedance though.

Ah yes! Thank you! I was abstracting that fact away as I intend to use 3.3 V throughout in a reworked circuit.

BUT I was wrong! I was missing the VCC ENable line: it feeds the EPD RST to U2 to enable the regulator, so you can't invert state in software, or else U2 will work the opposite.
In a nutshell: leave the schematic as is.

Yes, true, and it's necessary here. I wasn't clear on my intentions, as I can do away with that part.

Thanks all.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 02:38:48 pm »
So, coming back to a different part of the circuit...

I'm now trying to understand the RST part. The RPI controls EPD_RST' (3V3), which sets EPD_RST (5V) through the level shifter.

I get confused because RST is used to enable 3V3_OUT, which the level shifter depends on for Output Enable, so it's really not clear how changing RST' can even change RST if its initial state is low.

Your help appreciated once more :-)

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 05:20:20 pm »
And the Vcc supply of the level shifter is also controlled by himself...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 05:23:00 pm »

Yes, hence the confusion! I thought there might be a mistake and that the gate of the transistor might actually be controlled by RST', but no, I traced the working board, and it's according to this schematic.

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:38:50 pm by inse »

• Regular Contributor

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 08:42:09 pm »

Looks like a great recipe for appearing work until it doesn't.

Offline inse

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2022, 09:50:16 pm »
I keep thinking about this comment

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf