Author Topic: Help with Scullcom's millivolt Meter  (Read 8060 times)

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Help with Scullcom's millivolt Meter
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 12:25:01 am »
Pqass,

I checked the continuity, and all is well.

Paul

???   From where to where?

Offline toolnutsTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 12:29:40 am »
Pqass,

I don't know what you mean by the LCD mapping? This is my first Arduino project.

How would I find out what the mapping is?

Scullcom used library:F. Malpartida's NewLiquidCrystal library

Paul

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 12:36:07 am »
Pqass,

I don't know what you mean by the LCD mapping? This is my first Arduino project.

How would I find out what the mapping is?

Scullcom used library:F. Malpartida's NewLiquidCrystal library

Paul

Most 16x2 LCDs use an ancient parallel interface like this:

I2C capability adds a piggy back board with an I2C chip on it like this:

The mapping I speak of is between the parallel output of the I2C shift register to the LCD pins.
Usually your I2C piggy back board has documentation/link where we can determine the correct pin mapping.
Or, it may come with a library where we can dig it out of.

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 12:45:40 am »
Okay, I just found Malpartida's github here: https://github.com/fmalpartida/New-LiquidCrystal

And I see he has a constructor where you can specify a custom pin mapping just like Scullcom's original line.
Regardless, if you were to use Malpartida's library instead, you'd still need confirm that Scullcom's original line is the same mapping for your particular I2C piggy-back board or change it appropriately.  And also confirm the correct I2C address for your board too.

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 01:09:24 am »
It might be worthwhile for you to get to know your I2C-LCD module first.

Have a look at this https://www.make-it.ca/i2c-lcd-display-on-arduino/
Particularly the "Determining the I2C Address of the LCD Module" section.
And the "Hello World! – First Simple Sketch" section too.

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2022, 01:54:18 am »
Continuity from the I2c pin to the LCD matching pin.

Looking for a bad solder joint?

Would anyone have a copy of the library: F. Malpartida's NewLiquidCrystal library (from about 5 or more years ago), and if so
would you send me a copy please. It's the library that Scullcom used in his Millivolt multimeter MK2 design, and it was hosted on bitbucket.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:59:20 am by toolnuts »

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2022, 02:03:02 am »
Continuity from the I2c pin to the LCD matching pin.

Looking for a bad solder joint?

Would anyone have a copy of the library: F. Malpartida's NewLiquidCrystal library (from about 5 or more years ago), and if so
would you send me a copy please. It's the library that Scullcom used in his Millivolt multimeter MK2 design, and it was hosted on bitbucket.

Paul

Not likely. 

Humor me and run the the "Determining the I2C Address of the LCD Module"  program here: https://www.make-it.ca/i2c-lcd-display-on-arduino/

EDIT:
Download it here: https://github.com/fmalpartida/New-LiquidCrystal/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

First remove the other library from <homedir>/sketchbook/libraries/LiquidCrystal_I2C-1.1.2
Then after downloading, click Sketch->Include Library->Add Zip Library pointing to the downloaded zip file.
Use the original Scullcom ino file; ie. revert the two line changes we made earlier.
Save, recompile, reupload.

But you really should confirm the correct I2C address first otherwise Scullcom's original line won't work either.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02:15:13 am by pqass »

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2022, 07:07:35 pm »
Pqass,

Humored you.

I went to the site and down loaded the LiquidCrystal_I2c_master.zip file and installed it.
I got rid of all the other LiquidCrystal_I2c.zip files.
I copied the I2c scanner program and ran it, and I error out for no 'wire' library, so, I looked
in the library, and could find no just 'wire' library. where do I find the 'wire' library?

I ran the original Scullcom file with the downloaded and installed LiquiCrystal_I2c-master and
it came to the first instance of Liquidcrystal and gave me an error.

By the way, my I2c has A0, A1, and A2 have no solder so they are A1=0, A2=0, and A0=0 so I2c=0x27 

Just to add, I am using an Arduino Pro Mini (not on the list)

Thanks for all of your help,

Paul

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:52:28 pm by toolnuts »

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2022, 07:56:16 pm »
Pqass,

Humored you.

I went to the site and down loaded the LiquidCrystal_I2c_master.zip file and installed it.
I got rid of all the other LiquidCrystal_I2c.zip files.
I copied the I2c scanner program and ran it, and I error out for no 'wire' library, so, I looked
in the library, and could find no just 'wire' library. where do I find the 'wire' library?

I ran the original Scullcom file with the downloaded and installed LiquiCrystal_I2c-master and
it cam to the first instance of Liquidcrystal and gave me an error.

By the way, y I2c has A0, A1, and A2 have no solder so they are A1=0, A2=0, and A0=0 so I2c=0x27 

Just to add, I am using an Arduino Pro Mini (not on the list)

Thanks for all of your help,

Paul

Wire is part of the base Arduino installation.  I don't know why it gave you a library not found error; was it the ampersand lt/gt escapes?

I just downloaded the latest 1.8.19 and see there is now a I2C scanner example.
Try this one instead: File->Examples->Wire->i2c_scanner (it's at the bottom of the menu)  I was able to compile it without issue.
Code: [Select]
Sketch uses 4032 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 522 bytes (25%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1526 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

As for the likely i2c address... yes it's probably 0x27 as per the state of the address pads.
However, running the scanner should at least tell you that communications between microcontroller and i2c chip are working.
Then it would be a matter of which order of the i2c chip pins are connected to the LCD parallel interface.  Let's eliminate the former.

In future, it would helpful if you copy/paste any errors.

There is a "Tools->Board: Arduino Pro or Pro Mini". 
Then pick which "Processor: ATmega328P ..." 5V/16Mhz, 5V/8Mhz, 3.3V/16Mhz, 3.3V/8Mhz
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:02:04 pm by pqass »

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2022, 09:04:14 pm »
Pqass,

I loaded and ran i2c_scanner. It ran just fine, but I don't see any address anywhere.

My LCD has the background on and one row squares are lit up.

Where am I suppose to see the correct address displayed?

I waited for awhile, then hit reset, but nothing.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:25:42 pm by toolnuts »

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2022, 09:33:18 pm »
Pqass,

I loaded and ran i2c_scanner. I ran just fine, but I don't see any address anywhere.

My LCD has the background on and one row squares are lit up.

Where am I suppose to see the correct address displayed?

I waited for awhile, then hit reset, but nothing.

Paul

Open up Tools->Serial Monitor at 9600 baud, click Clear output button and wait for messages.
I don't have anything connected and I see this:
Scanning...
No I2C devices found

Scanning...
No I2C devices found

Scanning...
No I2C devices found

Scanning...
No I2C devices found

If you see the same, you'll have to fix why the Pro Mini to i2c chip aren't communicating first. 
Correct SCL,SCA, power, pinout?  Are both the Pro Mini and I2C-LCD using same voltage (5V, 3.3V)?  Did you kill it? 

If you see a "I2C device found at address 0x..." then that confirms it. 
Use that address in the first parameter of the "LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27,2,1,0,4,5,6,7); " line.

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2022, 11:48:39 pm »
Pqass,

The serial monitor say they saw the device at 0x27.

So, I guess I got that one right.

Now I'll move on to your other directions.

Thanks again,

Paul

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2022, 11:55:57 pm »
Pqass,

I don't know what the voltage of my i2c or LCD are, my pro mini is a 5v 16 mhtz.

I see no markings to indicate either the voltage or the manufacturer, on either the i2c or the LCD.

If I killed one, which would it be or both?

The LCD is on, background and one row of squares.

Pins 15 and 16 are labeled A and K, and not LCD plus or LCD minus, otherwise
they are the same as in your photo.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:04:31 am by toolnuts »

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2022, 12:12:12 am »
Pqass,

The serial monitor say they saw the device at 0x27.

So, I guess I got that one right.

Now I'll move on to your other directions.

Thanks again,

Paul

Baby steps....
You can also try this sketch to see if you can successfully communicate with your I2C-LCD:
FYI: I can't try this because I don't have an I2C-LCD but it should work.
It will confirm the correct I2C to parallel LCD pin mapping.
It this works, you're back on-track with Scullcom's code.

#include <Wire.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

// Set the LCD address to 0x27 for a 16 chars and 2 line display
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27,2,1,0,4,5,6,7);

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);                   // initialize LCD and set for 16 by 2 display
  lcd.setBacklightPin(3,POSITIVE);    // (BL, BL_POL)
  lcd.setBacklight(HIGH);             // LCD backlight turned ON
  lcd.print("Hello, world!");         // print test message
}

void loop() {
  // Do nothing here...
}

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2022, 12:32:29 am »
Pqass,

I don't know what the voltage of my i2c or LCD are, my pro mini is a 5v 16 mhtz.

I see no markings to indicate either the voltage or the manufacturer, on either the i2c or the LCD.

If I killed one, which would it be or both?

The LCD is on, background and one row of squares.

Pins 15 and 16 are labeled A and K, and not LCD plus or LCD minus, otherwise
they are the same as in your photo.

Paul

LCDs usually are 5V.  If you did kill it, you wouldn't get a "I2C device found at address 0x27" response.
For future reference, if you connect a 5V device to a 3.3V device, it's the 3.3V device that'll suffer.
I wish manufacturers would make it more obvious on the device itself but that's why you always need to read the documentation first.
The squares can be random, shows that the onboard LCD controller wasn't initialized.
The A/K mean anode/cathode. It means the same as plus/minus; depends on the manufacturer labeling preference.

FYI: This is the schematic of one such I2C-LCD piggy-back board. Yours may be similar (may not use the same chip).   Note how the pins go from the I2C chip to the LCD parallel interface. That's the pin mapping expressed in the "LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27, ...);" declaration.  We may need to change that if the test program in my previous message doesn't work.

From here: https://alselectro.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/serial-lcd-i2c-module-pcf8574/

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2022, 12:41:10 am »
Pqass,

It died where all the Scullcom's died with a call to LiquidCristal trying to assign 0x27,......,D7.

Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:pro:cpu=16MHzatmega328 -vid-pid=10C4_EA60 -ide-version=10819 -build-path C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_726067 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_715117 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino17.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.3.0.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -verbose C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled639191399.tmp\sketch_may15a\sketch_may15a.ino

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:pro:cpu=16MHzatmega328 -vid-pid=10C4_EA60 -ide-version=10819 -build-path C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_726067 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_715117 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino17.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.3.0.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -verbose C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled639191399.tmp\sketch_may15a\sketch_may15a.ino

Using board 'pro' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5

Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5

Detecting libraries used...

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\sketch\\sketch_may15a.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for LiquidCrystal_I2C.h: [LiquidCrystal_I2C-master@1.1.4]

ResolveLibrary(LiquidCrystal_I2C.h)

-> candidates: [LiquidCrystal_I2C-master@1.1.4]

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\sketch\\sketch_may15a.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for Wire.h: [Wire@1.0]

ResolveLibrary(Wire.h)

-> candidates: [Wire@1.0]

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\sketch\\sketch_may15a.ino.cpp" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "D:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master\\LiquidCrystal_I2C.cpp" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src\\Wire.cpp" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src\\utility\\twi.c" -o nul

Generating function prototypes...

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\sketch\\sketch_may15a.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"

"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\tools-builder\\ctags\\5.8-arduino11/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"

Compiling sketch...

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-ID:\\Users\\Paul\\Documents\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\sketch\\sketch_may15a.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_726067\\sketch\\sketch_may15a.ino.cpp.o"

sketch_may15a:7:41: error: no matching function for call to 'LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int)'

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x27,2,1,0,4,5,6,7);

^

In file included from C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled639191399.tmp\sketch_may15a\sketch_may15a.ino:1:0:

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:57:3: note: candidate: LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)

LiquidCrystal_I2C(uint8_t lcd_Addr,uint8_t lcd_cols,uint8_t lcd_rows);

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:57:3: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 8 provided

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:55:7: note: candidate: constexpr LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(const LiquidCrystal_I2C&)

class LiquidCrystal_I2C : public Print {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:55:7: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 8 provided

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:55:7: note: candidate: constexpr LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(LiquidCrystal_I2C&&)

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master/LiquidCrystal_I2C.h:55:7: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 8 provided

C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\untitled639191399.tmp\sketch_may15a\sketch_may15a.ino: In function 'void setup()':

sketch_may15a:11:7: error: 'class LiquidCrystal_I2C' has no member named 'setBacklightPin'; did you mean 'setBacklight'?

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

setBacklight

sketch_may15a:11:25: error: 'POSITIVE' was not declared in this scope

^~~~~~~~

Using library LiquidCrystal_I2C-master at version 1.1.4 in folder: D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal_I2C-master

Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\libraries\Wire

exit status 1

no matching function for call to 'LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int)'

Paul

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2022, 12:57:02 am »
I think you have a remnant of an old library still.

Notice the errors are prefixed with: 

List the contents of directory:  D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries
You may see another one called:  New-LiquidCrystal-master    That's the one you want.
If you see both: LiquidCrystal-master and New-LiquidCrystal-master, remove the first; LiquidCrystal-master

EDIT: 
Q: Why is there two I2C-LCD libraries? 
A: Because the standard I2C-LCD library (as defined here https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/libraries/liquidcrystal-i2c/) and  fmalpartida's New-LiquidCrystal library BOTH share the same name for the LiquidCrystal_I2C.h file!  And the latter's API IS NOT a superset of the former.  I'm not sure how to make them co-exist when some sketches need one vs. the other.  That's why I asked you to remove the standard one; for expediency.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:11:45 am by pqass »

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2022, 01:13:55 am »
Pqass,

I see 3 files; liquidCrytal_I2C.cpp, liquidCrytal_I2C.h, and liquidCrytal_I2C-master.

Do I delete cpp and .h , and keep -master?

Then what do I do?

I think when I installed LCD...., I installed LiquidCrystal_I2c-master.zip

Paul
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:17:32 am by toolnuts »

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2022, 01:27:35 am »
Pqass,

I see 3 files; liquidCrytal_I2C.cpp, liquidCrytal_I2C.h, and liquidCrytal_I2C-master.

Do I delete cpp and .h , and keep -master?

Then what do I do?

Paul

I think you should remove all three (last one I expect it being a directory):
D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\liquidCrytal_I2C.cpp
D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\liquidCrytal_I2C.h
D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\liquidCrytal_I2C-master

If you didn't see another directory in D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ called New-LiquidCrystal-master,
then reload the NewLiquidCrystal-master.zip library via Sketch->Include Library->Add Zip Library pointing to the downloaded zip file.
If you didn't save it earlier, this is the link again: https://github.com/fmalpartida/New-LiquidCrystal/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
Then recompile the Skullcom ino.

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2022, 02:35:40 am »

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2022, 02:53:55 am »
Pqass,

Your link:  https://github.com/fmalpartida/New-LiquidCrystal/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

takes me to a blank page.

Paul

That's strange, the link in your message works for me.
Anyway, just go to the New-LiquidCrystal github page https://github.com/fmalpartida/New-LiquidCrystal
Then click the green "Code" button, and then click the Download ZIP.

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2022, 03:16:56 am »
Pqass,

I use Firefox.

I found New-LiquidCrystal-master.zip, in my downloads.

I re-installed using the zip install, and I got an error 'all ready installed'

So I went into the library manager to see, and I can't find it. I searched and nothing???

ERROR:
Arduino: 1.8.19 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328P (5V, 16 MHz)"

A library named NewliquidCrystal already exists

So what do I do now?

What do I call the new installed library call #include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h, #include <newLiquidCrystal_I2C.h, /#include <newLiquidCrystal_I2C-master.h??

Paul

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2022, 03:28:09 am »
Pqass,

I use Firefox.

I found New-LiquidCrystal-master.zip, in my downloads.

I re-installed using the zip install, and I got an error 'all ready installed'

So I went into the library manager to see, and I can't find it. I searched and nothing???

ERROR:

A library named NewliquidCrystal already exists

So what do I do now?

What do I call the new installed library call
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h,
#include <newLiquidCrystal_I2C.h,
#include <newLiquidCrystal_I2C-master.h??

Paul

Okay, the Arduino IDE recognized that the New-LiquidCrystal library is already installed (you didn't say whether the New-LiquidCrystal-master directory was present in D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\).  This is good news.   You should just recompile the Scullcom script as is; no changes.
The header file remains:    #include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>

BUT you MUST remove those 3 old library files/directory (below) because they're confusing the compiler.

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2022, 03:35:42 am »
Pqass,

I found the LiquidCrystal with the library manager set to installed. The name was just 'LiquidCrystal' (no .h)

I got rid of the I2c, and put .h, and the compiler went past it to the reference an then errored out:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:pro:cpu=16MHzatmega328 -vid-pid=10C4_EA60 -ide-version=10819 -build-path C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_342850 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_749214 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.3.0.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino17.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -verbose D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\sketch_millivolt_1\sketch_millivolt_1.ino

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:pro:cpu=16MHzatmega328 -vid-pid=10C4_EA60 -ide-version=10819 -build-path C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_342850 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_749214 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.avr-gcc-7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.arduinoOTA-1.3.0.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arduinoOTA\1.3.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrdude-6.3.0-arduino17.path=C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17 -verbose D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\sketch_millivolt_1\sketch_millivolt_1.ino

Using board 'pro' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5

Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5

Detecting libraries used...

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for EEPROM.h: [EEPROM@2.0]

ResolveLibrary(EEPROM.h)

-> candidates: [EEPROM@2.0]

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for SPI.h: [SPI@1.0]

ResolveLibrary(SPI.h)

-> candidates: [SPI@1.0]

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for Wire.h: [Wire@1.0]

ResolveLibrary(Wire.h)

-> candidates: [Wire@1.0]

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for LiquidCrystal.h: [NewliquidCrystal LiquidCrystal@1.0.7]

ResolveLibrary(LiquidCrystal.h)

-> candidates: [NewliquidCrystal LiquidCrystal@1.0.7]

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src\\SPI.cpp" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src\\Wire.cpp" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src\\utility\\twi.c" -o nul

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src\\LiquidCrystal.cpp" -o nul

Generating function prototypes...

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"

"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\tools-builder\\ctags\\5.8-arduino11/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"

Compiling sketch...

"C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\avr-gcc\\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10819 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\variants\\eightanaloginputs" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\EEPROM\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\SPI\\src" "-IC:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\hardware\\avr\\1.8.5\\libraries\\Wire\\src" "-IC:\\Program Files (x86)\\Arduino\\libraries\\LiquidCrystal\\src" "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Paul\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_342850\\sketch\\sketch_millivolt_1.ino.cpp.o"

sketch_millivolt_1:50:37: error: no matching function for call to 'LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int)'

LiquidCrystal lcd(0x27,2,1,0,4,5,6,7); // 0x27 is the default I2C bus address (this could be different for some modules)

^

In file included from D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\sketch_millivolt_1\sketch_millivolt_1.ino:21:0:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:55:3: note: candidate: LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t enable,

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:55:3: note:   candidate expects 6 arguments, 8 provided

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:53:3: note: candidate: LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t rw, uint8_t enable,

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:53:3: note:   candidate expects 7 arguments, 8 provided

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:50:3: note: candidate: LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t rw, uint8_t enable,

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:50:3: note:   candidate expects 11 arguments, 8 provided

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:47:3: note: candidate: LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t enable,

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:47:3: note:   candidate expects 10 arguments, 8 provided

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:45:7: note: candidate: constexpr LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(const LiquidCrystal&)

class LiquidCrystal : public Print {

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:45:7: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 8 provided

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:45:7: note: candidate: constexpr LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(LiquidCrystal&&)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal\src/LiquidCrystal.h:45:7: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 8 provided

D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\sketch_millivolt_1\sketch_millivolt_1.ino: In function 'void setupLCD()':

sketch_millivolt_1:150:7: error: 'class LiquidCrystal' has no member named 'setBacklightPin'

lcd.setBacklightPin(3,POSITIVE);            // (BL, BL_POL)

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sketch_millivolt_1:150:25: error: 'POSITIVE' was not declared in this scope

lcd.setBacklightPin(3,POSITIVE);            // (BL, BL_POL)

^~~~~~~~

sketch_millivolt_1:151:7: error: 'class LiquidCrystal' has no member named 'setBacklight'

lcd.setBacklight(HIGH);                     // LCD backlight turned ON

^~~~~~~~~~~~

Multiple libraries were found for "LiquidCrystal.h"

Used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal

Not used: D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal

Using library EEPROM at version 2.0 in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\libraries\EEPROM

Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\libraries\SPI

Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\libraries\Wire

Using library LiquidCrystal at version 1.0.7 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal

exit status 1

no matching function for call to 'LiquidCrystal::LiquidCrystal(int, int, int, int, int, int, int, int)'

Paul

Online pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2022, 03:44:02 am »
Pqass,

I found the LiquidCrystal with the library manager set to installed. The name was just 'LiquidCrystal' (no .h)

I got rid of the I2c, and put .h, and the compiler went past it to the reference an then errored out:

No, don't do that. It has to be:   #include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
Otherwise, it's going to assume a directly attached LCD; no I2C chip in between.  That's not what you have.
It even says so:
Multiple libraries were found for "LiquidCrystal.h"
 Used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\LiquidCrystal
 Not used: D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\NewliquidCrystal

Use Windows file explorer and go to D:\Users\Paul\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ and delete the files/directory:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf