Author Topic: How to cut ABS plastic boxes? Or which plastic to use?  (Read 15359 times)

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
Re: How to cut ABS plastic boxes? Or which plastic to use?
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 07:02:26 am »
Holes in ABS can also be stamped/punched and you can make a die yourself (or in other words, it doesn't have to be made out of crazy expensive crystallized unicorn farts like metal punches do)
Back in 1980s I needed to have a hole in a hammond box and that is the method we used.  My partner went to a friend who had a machine shop and he made the punch for us.  I think it only cost $100 or something like that.  He then charged us a buck or so to punch some 1000 boxes as we needed them.  Very clean holes.
On top of that stamping allows for true included corners,  which milling doesn't because of tool radius.

Sent from my HTC One M8s

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:35 am »
Bad example. A wood burning stove has to be appropriately sealed and vented to the atmosphere.

I'm sure all wood stoves were "appropriately sealed and vented to the atmosphere" for 100 years.

I'm not sure why you are so fervent on this subject....I'm just amused - but mostly curious. What's up with that? Why do you feel so strongly about it (not that you're right BTW)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:57 am »
Bad example. A wood burning stove has to be appropriately sealed and vented to the atmosphere.

I'm sure all wood stoves were "appropriately sealed and vented to the atmosphere" for 100 years.

I'm not sure why you are so fervent on this subject....I'm just amused - but mostly curious. What's up with that? Why do you feel so strongly about it (not that you're right BTW)

I dislike sloppy analogies, especially when mixed with false "information".

I dislike statements that, if followed unthinkingly, can lead to people harming themselves - or worse, innocent bystanders.

For the avoidance of doubt, I don't care what adults knowingly do to themselves, and am not worried about paying my share of their medical bills.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:22:39 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 10:32:41 am »
Whatever tickles your pickle dude.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »
I cnc mill ABS and other plastics all the time.  If you are cutting thin material then use a single flute cutter as others have said.  Also, you have to mill a couple to get the speed/finish correct.  There's all kinds of alternatives but if milling works then that would probably be the least expensive for a small run.

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »
If you, or someone you know is good with 3D CAD (Solidworks, etc.), you might design the enclosure (.stl file) and print them out on a 3D printer?
I've found a lot of custom enclosures that just happen to fit my projects on the Thingiverse website - do a search!
G' Luck! :)

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 08:59:10 pm »
That's a bad solution. Even a high end 3d print doesn't come anywhere near injection melding and machining. On top of that 3d printing is expensive as hell for anything more than a one-off.

Sent from my HTC One M8s

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 11:08:34 am »
That's a bad solution. Even a high end 3d print doesn't come anywhere near injection melding and machining. On top of that 3d printing is expensive as hell for anything more than a one-off.

Sent from my HTC One M8s

No all projects need the smoothness that injection molding provides.  Also, I can 3d print a "hammond" like project box for less then what it would cost to buy. Throw in shipping and the time to wait, and it's a done deal.  Not that I ever do that.  I use my 3d printer more for making jigs and such.  It's really good for stuff like that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf