Author Topic: Vishay Dale CMF vs. RN Resistors (Wattage, Price and Size)  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Philipp F.Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Software Engineer doing ee for fun.
Hey,

I was in the market for some decent quality resistors when I found the Vishay Dale CMF series. They seem to be highly regarded and look quite funky.
Since I am very new to the whole electronics design aspect of things, I have some questions regarding the differences between the regular CMF Industrial and the mil-spec RN version.

What I'm looking for are the 6.1x2.29mm sized ones so either CMF55 or RN55. What threw me off were the wattage ratings and prices.

I see them rated as 0.5W@70°C and 0.25W@125°C and in other datasheets as 0.125W@70°C and 0.10W@125°C.

Mouser has the CMF55 rated as 0.5W and the RN55 as 0.1W or 0.125W.

So my question is, are they the same thing? To me it looks like the only difference are the larger wattage and voltage margins to meet the mil spec of the RN, RN has no RoHS and maybe tighter QC?
So if I want 1/4W resistors could I just go for the RN, since in some cases they are quite a bit cheaper on Mouser?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Vishay Dale CMF vs. RN Resistors (Wattage, Price and Size)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:07:41 am »
I think they are same. RN's are derated heavily and with extra QA I assume. I have had both together and they look identical.

I bought a load from RS here in the UK as 0.1% tolerance reference resistors.

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 02:55:06 pm »
The military and the industry have different definitions of the same resistor type, i heard.

I have 1/4 watt resistors, they are the size of like 1/8 watt resistors, military probobly rate for 1/16 lol
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:56:37 pm by CopperCone »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:49:26 pm »
Yes, it's just down to a different basis used for the power rating for commercial and military specifications.

The CMF55 are available in an industrial rating with a power rating of 0.50W @ 75C ambient and 0.25W @ 125C ambient, and military rated with a power rating of 0.125W @ 75C ambient and 0.10W @ 125C ambient. They are essentially the same part, but the military spec ones use a different rating scheme and are guaranteed subjected to the full MIL-R-10509/MIL-PRF-55182J test procedures.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 03:50:52 pm »
Just a point on these. I've seen a couple of people in the past use them because they are colour blind and have numeric value written on the resistors.

Then they go and solder them in value-side down. Something to remember when you are using them: make sure the value is pointing up :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf