Author Topic: How to design a usb 2.0 type C receptacle  (Read 818 times)

Offline drakejestTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
How to design a usb 2.0 type C receptacle
« on: September 18, 2021, 04:46:38 pm »
I have made a custom board , the chip on the board uses USB 2.0 to communicate to a computer and uses a type C connector. No power delivery needed just going to use the standard 4 USB pins, D-, D+, 5v, GND but just in a type C connector

I would like to know if i still need to connect all other pins (expempt those 4) to somewhere, Especially the CC and SBU pins. how about those extra data pins? Rx1,Tx1 and Rx2,Tx2? connect them to ground or just leave them floating? 

Is there an official recommendation in this situation>? So i can modify things for the next prototype :)

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: How to design a usb 2.0 type C receptacle
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 05:50:59 pm »
I believe all you have to do for a usb2.0 device is a 5.1K pulldown on each CC pin, there are usb-c connectors that don't have all the extra pins

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, drakejest

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 06:02:53 pm »
I believe all you have to do for a usb2.0 device is a 5.1K pulldown on each CC pin, there are usb-c connectors that don't have all the extra pins

About that, i have read that some cables might already come with them , wont it be a problem if i placed one on my board?

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 06:42:07 pm »

About that, i have read that some cables might already come with them , wont it be a problem if i placed one on my board?

I wouldn't expect resistors in the cable unless it a cable usb-c and at one end and micro-sub or similar at the other end

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 07:24:40 pm »

I wouldn't expect resistors in the cable unless it a cable usb-c and at one end and micro-sub or similar at the other end

If for instance that there will be 2 resistors, what might happen?  1 from the cable and 1 fom the board? because i can see that i might use a typa A to type C cable

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 07:32:52 pm »

If for instance that there will be 2 resistors, what might happen?  1 from the cable and 1 fom the board? because i can see that i might use a typa A to type C cable

wouldn't do anything since the cc pins don't exist on the type A, so the are not used

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf