Author Topic: IEE488-Compliant GPIB HP SD Drive  (Read 860 times)

Offline ZGoodeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Grad student by day, equipment nerd also by day
IEE488-Compliant GPIB HP SD Drive
« on: April 18, 2024, 03:18:12 am »
I'm working on updating the design over at http://www.dalton.ax/hpdisk/ to be GPIB compliant.  Luckily, his original design uses a very similar MCU to a through hole PIC18F series part I had on hand.
Currently, that version connects the microcontroller pins directly to the GPIB bus, which causes problems with having more than one device on the bus.  I'm working on adding proper GPIB transceivers to it, and making as many parts through hole as possible, to allow for easy debugging.  Currently, the only parts I have not been able to find a through hole alternative for were the USB/UART chip, SD card slot, and SD card logic level converter.
I just finished up my first draft of the schematic, and need to double check footprints and connections before setting up the layout.
If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, particularly for how the DIP switches and transceiver IC's are connected, please let me know!

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: IEE488-Compliant GPIB HP SD Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 05:55:53 am »
I'm not sure, if the author is member of EEVblog, but he is under nick Anders in Vintage HP computer systems quite active and gave some hints there regarding the HPDisk.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 07:31:43 am by DavidKo »

The following users thanked this post: ZGoode

Offline ZGoodeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Grad student by day, equipment nerd also by day
Re: IEE488-Compliant GPIB HP SD Drive
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 05:58:10 am »
Thanks for pointing that out!  I'll have to see if he is still active over there since it doesn't seem like that project has been active since 2020 or so on his website.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf