Author Topic: Stacked Oscillofuns!  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Stacked Oscillofuns!
« on: December 09, 2014, 03:35:08 am »

No sound, it's my first video, somehow transcoding my camera's mjpeg to h264 lost the audio, no big loss.

Not a difficult setup, but now I feel like I have to fix that channel 3.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
Re: Stacked Oscillofuns!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:13:40 pm »
Haven't been able to watch it yet...

Is that a dual beam or a dual trace scope? I can't imagine it would look right with a dual trace, right?

At @Party, where a new scope demo called Beams of Light was released, we tried Oscillofun on a 551, which is a true dual beam unit with an external power supply, but since each beam can only show on about 2/3 of the screen it didn't work right.

Massive scopes...

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 03:34:02 pm »
It's a single-beam mainframe with a 4-channel plugin. It can display all channels in all kinds of mixes of chop and alternate. I'm repairing the 3rd channel but I don't know how long it'll take.

I'm using chop. Chop works at about a 400KHz rate so each channel has 100KHz of display rate. I'm not sure about the horizontal bandwidth but I'll try adding a square wave to see if I can get horizontal stacking.

And why wouldn't it look right with two beams? You'll be able to display more of them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:54:03 pm by Alex Eisenhut »
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 01:09:20 pm »
Man, I keep forgetting to watch the video till I can't.

What didn't work right on the 551 is that it couldn't take up the whole screen- only the top 2/3 or the bottom 2/3. And the X/Y on the 551 is weird (or maybe we didn't have the right plugin module...) We couldn't hook up the X to the one channel, like on most scopes, there was a dedicated "horizontal input" banana plug on the thing, and it doesn't have any range adjuster since its not a channel.

Here's the hookup we had. The alligator clip is the Y. http://www.slengpung.com/v3/show_photo.php?id=26143&log=no&resolution=1024&ref=event

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
The CRT has two guns and they're angled slightly differently. You should see two horizontal zero axes. The beams aren't meant to sweep the entire screen, I think the electronics cuts them off.

The 547 has a variable input pot and a 1x/10x range for the horizontal input, which the 551 doesn't have.

Your vertical plugins are the most basic ones. If you could toss two 1A4s in there you could stack 4 per beam.

Offline Kevman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:35:16 am »
Finally got a chance to watch it. That's a really good image you got- better than 1 image I get on my 2245a...

What sound card did you use?

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:44:32 am »
Bog standard laptop Realtek through about 6 feet of headphone cable.
Once I get my transistors to repair my 1A4, I'll try it with 4 channels then try to stack horizontally.

Turn on your bandwidth limit.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf