Author Topic: Is it good PS project? Any alternatives?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Is it good PS project? Any alternatives?
« on: September 09, 2018, 08:48:48 am »
Hi!

I wanna build simple linear power supply with voltage and current modes

Is it project Ok http://www.electronics-lab.com/project/0-50v-2a-bench-power-supply/ ? Any opinions/alternatives?

Thanx

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: Is it good PS project? Any alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 09:50:29 am »
This design is discussed hundred of times on this forum and elsewhere. If you need good and simple design perhaps you can try this one: LM10 Linear Power Supply 0-50V 0-2A with temperature protection.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 02:41:26 pm »
This design is discussed hundred of times on this forum and elsewhere.

Thanx!
Where I can read this?
Any conclusion?

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:36:48 pm »
The circuit from the 1st link is actually a variant of the LM10 circuit.

A rather long thread on one type of power supply is this one:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/bangood-psu-enhancements/
It starts with a cheap kit and fixes the main issues.  With the fixes the circuit is Ok, though limited in the voltage range by the OPs used. The main point it that the kit advertised at 30 V and 3 A is good for 20 V and maybe 1.5 A, maybe 2 A.

Another type of lab power supply are build similar to the older HP ones, with a floating regulator and thus usually a 2nd transformer. This type is also used in quite a lot of the cheap commercial supplies. It's a little more tricky, but very flexible to also work to higher voltages if needed.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:34 pm »

Another type of lab power supply are build similar to the older HP ones, with a floating regulator and thus usually a 2nd transformer. This type is also used in quite a lot of the cheap commercial supplies. It's a little more tricky, but very flexible to also work to higher voltages if needed.

What schematic do You mean?

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 12:38:53 am »
I recently had good results building a floating type regulator. I found it difficult getting used to the + output being the ground reference for the control circuitry.
I didn't copy any particular circuit, only the basic way in which most of these regulators work. One op-amp for the Voltage Control loop and one op-amp for the Current Control loop.
The output pins of the 2 op-amps are diode ORed together so that either can take control of the Gate of a large MOSFET which functions as the series pass element.
The circuitry in the red outline is only there for interfacing to a micro-controller which isn't necessary.
 In my project, the regulator is fed from a 600W SMPS. I don't recommend doing the same. A conventional mains transformer with secondary tap changing would be best.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:33:22 am by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf