Author Topic: Jellybean 12p connector for automotive PCB to case wiring.  (Read 1579 times)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I have a PCB mounted inside a case for non-critical automotive product.
There are 12 connections needed from the PCB to various things mounted in the case.

Instead of hand soldering wires to the PCB for them I want to put a connector on the PCB and then get china to make me up some cables with a single multi-terminal connector for the PCB side and either spade terminals or just bare wires at the other ends.

Currents are all under 100mA except for the connection to the DC jack which is < 2A. (but I could use a separate connector for the DC hack if needed.)

Does anyone have any jellybean connector series/type recommendations for this sort of application?

It would need a locking latch, polarity keyed and be ok with minor automotive vibration (cabin, not engine bay).
And ideally something super common that china wont have any problems making a loom for.
Could be TH or SMD

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:56:22 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: Jellybean 12p connector for automotive PCB to case wiring.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01:50:40 am »
What about the same connectors that are used for ATX power supplies? You can get pre-made 12-pin cable assemblies as part of a 12-to-24 pin ATX adaptor, e.g.:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003626659583.html

They are keyed, can handle multiple amps, common. I think they are part of the Molex Minifit line.

Edit: FWIW, this Molex brochure lists "Automotive" under "Applications" for the Mini-Fit line:

https://www.content.molex.com/dxdam/25/25cce481-dbb4-467e-ad4c-1deb2f5122cc/987651-8272.pdf

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:56:50 am by ledtester »

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 02:10:31 am »
I did think of something like that, but i think it should really be a part i order to spec rather than something generic.
Otherwise it may disappear from sale or the colors might change and i'm stuck

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 02:28:17 am »
Go with JST XHP series will handle the 2A (3A max) requirement as well. There is smaller pitches available in the JST range but you might be back to splitting off your power if you get back to 1mm pitch. Mechanically the XHP series are excellent and should be easily available to have custom looms parts made.

EDIT - thinking about it maybe go 2 rows of 6 might be easier and better for space too

https://docs.rs-online.com/f25e/0900766b81357f2f.pdf
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 03:14:14 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Psi

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 06:27:55 am »
Go with JST XHP series will handle the 2A (3A max) requirement as well. There is smaller pitches available in the JST range but you might be back to splitting off your power if you get back to 1mm pitch. Mechanically the XHP series are excellent and should be easily available to have custom looms parts made.

EDIT - thinking about it maybe go 2 rows of 6 might be easier and better for space too

https://docs.rs-online.com/f25e/0900766b81357f2f.pdf

Thanks,
Yeah, i will probably go with 2 rows over 1,  just because that will make the part attachment to PCB stronger and less prone to vibration damage.

However those retention clips seem quite small for an automotive application. I don't want it to vibrate out.

I guess its all relative to the weight of the object.  Anyone know how well JST XHP works for automotive vibrations? (from road, not engine)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:31:27 am by Psi »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 06:41:30 am »
Easy thing to do is grab some for a play, evilbay is full of small kits with up to 6 or 7 pins. We use a heap of them in Balance connectors for R/C LiPo packs and I have used them for smaller Stepper motor extensions.

eBay auction: #133239384359 evilbay kit 2-4 pin

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:44:04 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 06:45:38 am »
Have a look at JST XA instead. Basically the same as XH, but with a proper latch. Or try XAD if you want dual row.

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 07:31:07 am »
Yeah, that is a more robust latch.

XAD might be a little harder for china to source than XA, but that is an option too.

Thanks.

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 08:25:55 am »
i'm actually now wondering if PCB mount spade terminals might be a better option.

Since the other end of the wires will have spade terminals on them.
So it kind of makes sense to put spade terminal on the PCB and then just use off the shelf spade to spade wires to link everything together.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 09:41:03 am »
+1 for JST XAD - pretty solid manual latch
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline max_torque

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 11:44:38 am »
Unles absolutely lowests cost is a consideration (and remember your customers getting annoyed by failures has a cost...) then just go with a proper automotive rated connector imo.

Something like Deutsch's DT series, available in PCB header types and are automotive and IP rated too.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-CAT-D487-H342.html

IME, for a product not sold in high volumes, robustness and standardness wins out every time. For most of my automotive projects the enclosure, connectors and the pcb (and all the components on it) are roughly split into 1/3rds in terms of BOM costs, ie each of those groups cost around 33% of the total BOM

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 12:22:30 am »
+1 for JST XAD - pretty solid manual latch

JST XAD does look pretty nice. 
But there doesn't seem to be copies plastered all over aliexpress/alibaba.
I'm more after something jellybean with multiple sources that any loom manufacturer knows without explanations and without custom connector orders.

Was wondering about CH3.96 but its only single row and the latch isn't as "locking" as i would like.

Molex  5557/5569/5566 is an option.
and Micro-fit 3.0mm seems to be quite available.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:41:41 am by Psi »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 01:03:43 am »
Try the JST EH then while the XH is as common as muck because of the R/C use the EH is also used and seems widely available on AliExpress. If you are worried about a connector letting go ten a blob of something as a belts and braces.

https://www.jst.co.uk/productSeries.php?pid=46

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 01:55:46 am »
I've been looking around and JST VH 3.96mm seem super cheap (like $5 for 50) and has a locking latch.

For my application the other end of the wires are spade terminals which don't do so well with thin wires.
I have pcb space, so a bigger connector isn't really a problem (The wire will probably be 20awg)

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 05:05:00 am »
You could probably double two wires to get higher current capability, so you could use thinner wires for signals.

For example the classic ribbon cable, 14 pin with polarizing key, 45cm long : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/assmann-wsw-components/H3CCS-1406G/1218581

60 cents if you get 100 ... maybe cheaper if you go around digikey

You can cut it in two at 20-22 cm length, and you have two cables for 30 cents each.

ex 40 cents if you get 200 , 14pin 30cm cable : https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ds1052-142b2na2030/ribbon-cables-with-idc-connectors/connfly/ds1052-142b2na203001/

(and if you don't need 30cm in your product, you can cut the cable in the middle and get 2 x 15 cm cables for the price of 1.

10 pin or 20 pin headers and ribbon cables should also very cheap as they're used for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 on motherboards.

You could maybe work around the latch by having a T or L shaped piece of wire or something soldered near the header, so that you'd have to bend that to plug the connector?  Or maybe if the case is low height, maybe just have some thermal pad or something between the box and the connector to put pressure on the connector and keep it in?

Friction should be sufficient to keep the cable in the connector

or make your own
ex  60k pieces in stock  10 pin  (2x5) for <20 cents in volume : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/on-shore-technology-inc/101-106/2794212

Ah just read the last which says spade terminals. Are there no spade terminals compatible with awg28 ?

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 05:29:01 am »
Ah just read the last which says spade terminals. Are there no spade terminals compatible with awg28 ?

yeah, i doubt it.   Or, if there are, they will be custom and expensive.
And even if there is, the amount of force you often need to pull out a spade terminal would snap wire that thin when the spade let go.

I've decided to go with the Molex 5557/5569/5566 option.  (PC ATX)
Its cheap and has more connections than i need which is good for future proofing.
And i have another product that uses that connector so it makes things cleaner and I can get looms for both products made at the same time.
It's a bit overkill but its fine.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 06:13:52 am »
Inside the cabin we just use molex microfit. we have thousands of > 10yo products installed with zero failures due to connector or harness
If water damage could be a concern, i would do as max_torque and go for a proper automotive connector. Sadly they tend to cost a lot (deutsch, JAE MX23A)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 09:41:39 am »
I might try to go with a black plastic 5557/5569/5566,  Just to seem a bit more professional  :-DD

Offline uer166

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 09:07:50 pm »
Inside the cabin we just use molex microfit.

I really wish they were easy to assemble though, I have a 24-pin microfit connector that doesn't get latched at the factory often since the push force required is absolutely insane. You can switch to gold lower insertion pins though, but why bother making tin plate if they're impossible to use. Same when trying to un-mate: feels like you're gonna rip the entire board apart, I'd estimate you need ~30lb to mate it.

I do love microfit's "universal-ness" and 2nd sources, but can't recomment banks of more than 12 pins (so ok for OP needs) due to all the intermittent failures we had when they're not fully latched by factory workers, and the pain in the ass removal..

Also: if anyone has a good recommendation on a <$100 microfit pin crimper that makes factory crimps, would be good to know. We have a few $800 Molex crimpers that work extremely well, but for personal projects that is not reasonable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf