Author Topic: L293D/SN754410NE replacement.  (Read 491 times)

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
L293D/SN754410NE replacement.
« on: March 18, 2023, 05:21:24 pm »
The L293D/SN754410NE is getting more expensive and seems to be approaching the point when it may no longer be available. Are there any more modern replacements available that are easy to use are more efficient for battery applications (preferably with MOSFET rather than bipolar devices)? I've had a look at the TI DRV range that are available as modular PCB's on Pololu's website, but the pages are full of warnings and the chips seem to be quite delicate. These drivers are for student use where I work (mainly Arduino and PIC MCU applications using bipolar steppers and small DC motors) so they need to be fairly robust. Any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S I've attached the datasheet for the DRV8844 that TI says is of similar functionality but with a different pinout. How difficult would it be to swap to this chip from the L293D? And is there anything both popular and actually in stock?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:57:13 am by djsb »
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline Terry Bites

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
Re: L293D/SN754410NE replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 05:55:25 pm »
The old drivers can be put in a socket, that seem like a real advantage in a prototype environment.
Or make yourself a batch of breakout boards.
How about STSPIN240?

The following users thanked this post: djsb

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 06:12:36 pm »
I've been looking at DRV8833 and DRV8836 over the weekend. I might try one of Adafruits modular boards. I doubt if I can make one myself for the price. No rush yet, but I just want to have something ready for later.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 06:19:57 pm »
TB6612FNG is nice, works well from 5V power up to 12V power, minimal voltage drops within the device. Pins have same functions as those on L293D, but very diferent locations. Might not be in stock at present as chips (TSSSOp style SMD), but sellers who have it on breadboard compatible carrier boards have them in stock.

The following users thanked this post: djsb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf