Author Topic: Lars DIY GPSDO with Arduino and 1ns resolution TIC  (Read 274852 times)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: Lars DIY GPSDO with Arduino and 1ns resolution TIC
« Reply #1225 on: February 17, 2024, 11:19:33 am »
Johnny, I will be interested in hearing how much improvement a Sparkfun ZED9T makes over an M8T. My own Lars build (Murray Greenman, ZL1BPU, display variant), is at the limits of what I can measure in terms of short term stability.

If you're interested in short-term stability of oscillators, you can do a lot with the "tinypfa". For cheap.

https://www.tinydevices.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=TinyPFA.Homepage

Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

The following users thanked this post: Solder_Junkie, Johnny B Good

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: February 17, 2024, 01:32:54 pm »
@Solder_Junkie

Whilst I'd love to answer your questions in detail and the information is relevant to any design of DIY gpsdo project, I think it would be better to start a separate topic thread rather than completely hijack this one (I can post a link here for anyone interested), However, as a 'teaser', assuming you haven't already seen this YouTube video, have a look here

@thinkfat

Thanks for the links to the TinyPFA. ISTR Solder_Junkie mentioning this gadget a month or two back. I checked it out but being the cheapskate that I am (says he who blew 250 smackers on that Sparkfun module some 14 months ago :o) I was looking for the cheapest option and gave up on making sure of getting the exact right version to convert. However, money isn't everything so, for the sake of my much put upon SDS1202X-E, I'll pick one of those sources in the list whether pre-loaded or not with the SW. I've been hankering after a means to record the data for a while now anyway (you know how it is - not enough round tuits).

John

The following users thanked this post: Solder_Junkie

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #1227 on: February 17, 2024, 01:45:45 pm »
I haven't experimented with increasing the smoothing caps on the oscillator Voltage control line, I note that Murray used 22uF caps against Lars using 4.7uF. I use 10uF. If you refer back to the James Miller "Simple" GPSDO, James uses a 160K resistor and 100uF cap to smooth the control Voltage line and achieves around +/-5 parts in 10^11 over a 10 second period. Maybe a larger capacitor would work just as well as going to a more expensive GPS module?..

The precise finetuning of the filter is not an easy task, imho. I made an excel tool, trying to ease the filter design for Miller's XOR based GPSDO in past, posted here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/gpsdo-with-xor-phase-comparator-control-loop-filter-design/msg3458070/#msg3458070

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1228 on: February 17, 2024, 03:23:13 pm »
Johnny, I will be interested in hearing how much improvement a Sparkfun ZED9T makes over an M8T. My own Lars build (Murray Greenman, ZL1BPU, display variant), is at the limits of what I can measure in terms of short term stability.

If you're interested in short-term stability of oscillators, you can do a lot with the "tinypfa". For cheap.

https://www.tinydevices.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=TinyPFA.Homepage

I've just ordered one from Mirfield Electronics in the UK. :)
John

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: February 17, 2024, 03:26:52 pm »
Martin (G3ZXZ) of Mirfield is really good to deal with.

The following users thanked this post: Johnny B Good

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf