Author Topic: Art of Electronics, Chapter 2x  (Read 4668 times)

Offline mikewhyTopic starter

Art of Electronics, Chapter 2x
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:23:55 pm »
Reading 3rd Edition on Kindle, the text and footnotes make frequent reference to Chapter 2x. Is there really a Chapter 2x? Or is this some artifact from the Kindle layout? Are references in the print Edition the same? Where is this really cool Chapter?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline kg4arn

• Supporter
Re: Art of Electronics, Chapter 2x
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 10:33:28 pm »
Another book is in the works with X-tra info relating to the material from the corresponding chapter from the 3rd edition.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »
Reading 3rd Edition on Kindle, the text and footnotes make frequent reference to Chapter 2x. Is there really a Chapter 2x? Or is this some artifact from the Kindle layout? Are references in the print Edition the same? Where is this really cool Chapter?

can you give some concrete examples of locations, so those of us with e.g. the print edition know where to look?

Offline mikewhyTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:33:15 pm »

can you give some concrete examples of locations, so those of us with e.g. the print edition know where to look?
Pg. 93 footnote: "30 The connection between Early voltage and ? is ?=VT/(VA+VCE)? VT/VA; see Chapter 2x. "

The given answer above explains the -x chapters as part of an upcoming, already written but not yet released book. I expect you'll find identical references in the printed version.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:54 pm »
Pg. 93 footnote: "30 The connection between Early voltage and ? is ?=VT/(VA+VCE)? VT/VA; see Chapter 2x."

The given answer above explains the -x chapters as part of an upcoming, already written but not yet released book. I expect you'll find identical references in the printed version.
Thanks. Indeed my printed copy has the same erroneous cross-references. They are not, however, references to a chapter twentysomething, but rather to chapter two-point-something. For example, a few pages later a footnote says to refer to chapter 2x for more discussion of current sources and current mirrors. Current mirrors are discussed on pp 101-105 or so, just a few pages later, still within chapter 2.

I’ll have to check whether the errata on the AoE website has been updated to reflect these.

In any case, I hadn’t noticed these errors until you mentioned them. Yet another disappointing lack of quality control in this book. :(

Offline STMartin

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 12:42:30 am »
Pg. 93 footnote: "30 The connection between Early voltage and ? is ?=VT/(VA+VCE)? VT/VA; see Chapter 2x."

Thanks. Indeed my printed copy has the same erroneous cross-references. They are not, however, references to a chapter twentysomething, but rather to chapter two-point-something. For example, a few pages later a footnote says to refer to chapter 2x for more discussion of current sources and current mirrors. Current mirrors are discussed on pp 101-105 or so, just a few pages later, still within chapter 2.

I’ll have to check whether the errata on the AoE website has been updated to reflect these.

In any case, I hadn’t noticed these errors until you mentioned them. Yet another disappointing lack of quality control in this book. :(

The reference to chapter 2x does not refer to chapter twenty-something nor to chapter 2-point-something. It refers to an as-yet-unreleased companion book (the x-chapters) that contains more detailed information. Refer to the last paragraph in the preface, page XXIX.

In this case, while current mirrors may have been discussed a few pages later, they will certainly be covered in greater depth in the x-chapters.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:54 am »
Just saw this.  The right answer probably should have been .... soon....

https://www.element14.com/community/community/stem-academy/blog/2015/06/05/a-conversation-with-the-authors-of-the-art-of-electronics
From Jun 5, 2015 1:30:00 PM

When do you plan to release the x chapters?

Horowitz:  The x chapters book will come out in no more than two years’ time—I would like it to be less. It’s already about fifty percent written with figures and everything else already.

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:34:43 am »
Just saw this.  The right answer probably should have been .... soon....

I hope it's not this kind of soon

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf