Author Topic: LED-lamp w/ built in Dali driver - how to test the easiest way...  (Read 300 times)

Offline gronn-overledningTopic starter

I have 3-4 of this Osram lamp type (sorry, could only find french site).
https://www.sonepar.fr/catalog/fr-fr/products/siteco-france-cphibays-rot-sym-90-15000lm84-07073203657

Its the Dali-version of the lamp.
The cable has 5 wires.
2 for mains power (230V - Europe).
2 for Dali (called + and -)
Yellow PE, earth/GND.

Do I have to get some Dali dimmer/controller just for checking the LEDs?
I have testet connecting just the 2 power-wires to the socket - nothing happened.

I opened the casing to check the driver, but only a text-label/markings on it, no switches of something.

I hoped it could turn on just by give it power, but no.

I understand Dali is advanced digital adressing system, but how do I program the unit?

Thanks

Re: LED-lamp w/ built in Dali driver - how to test the easiest way...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 03:09:15 pm »
A few more pics.

Offline Emo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 03:27:54 pm »
Hi,

It looks like the driver is stuck in the 0% or off status. Unfortunately the only way to reset the driver is to connect it to a proper Dali device or programmer.
However if you are able to disconnect the output of the driver you can at least test the LED part using a power supply in CC mode and an open voltage of ca 20-24V for testing

The following users thanked this post: gronn-overledning

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 07:31:15 pm »

Thanks for the "stuck-tip".

So if there is a setup of many lamps, and I will use a Dali "programmer" device - the best method is to connect just to ONE lamp at a time?  (not that I have this setup - just courious).

Is that the way of getting to know the exact address of one specific lamp also?

In the mean time - I experimented with a power supply with max 30-35V (and a current limiter of max 1 amp)....I may have destroyed some of the LEDs.    I discovered too late that groups of LEDs are (probably) partly connected in parallell, and I messed around a bit without the brain connected....(my brain).

Using the LED-boards main DC-connections, I could not get any light with the PSU mentioned.

I started using multimeter with diode-test, to check each LED/group. There are 128 groups of 4 LEDS.
The Fluke multimeter handles only up to 3 diodes (0.7 - 1.4 - 2.0V voltage drop), but I checked the last one separate - no problem.
Took me 30 min coming halfway, but it was boring, so I quit...

I noticed the layer under the PCB having cooling paste, but a bit dried out, and maybe a bit to little of it.

I have 3-4 more lamps actually...so...
Maybe I just dump this first one, and I'll see when I takes time for a new one...need some Dali device also  :)

Thanks.

Offline Emo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 09:12:25 pm »
Hi

On the driver the DC voltage range is mentioned as 20-63V so depending on the actual connections it must be somewhere in that range. I misread that in my earlier comments.
The Dali systems has similarities to a computer network. The controller polls the Dali bus and hands-out an address to the devices found.(max 63)
There can be multiple controllers in the Dali setup, only one can deliver the addresses. The Dali bus itself needs to be powered by a 16V DC max 250mA supply capable to be shorted. Modulation takes place shorting the bus in the appropriate bitrate. Most controllers do have the option to deliver this power.
All devices also do have a broadcast address. So without controller it is possible to address devices using the broadcast address (in which 15 groups are defined)
Using a single dimmer connected to a lamp will make a working solution. Except for situations were the device is programmed or stuck in a certain state.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 09:19:35 pm by Emo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf