Author Topic: I think I goofed. 5-E error W.E.R SMD rework station  (Read 22371 times)

Offline joblessalexTopic starter

• Contributor
I think I goofed. 5-E error W.E.R SMD rework station
« on: April 20, 2013, 12:36:11 am »
I recently picked up one of these to fix my phones charge port. http://www.ebay.com/itm/321103022542?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
When it got here, I unwrapped it excited to have it and turned it on. It ran for about a minute or two before shutting off and I realized there were 3 screws that needed to come out! |O I'm assuming that is the issue. When I turned it back on again all it will do is start the pump and not the heat! It continuously spams the error 5-E or S-E, not sure which. I can't find any instruction manual, and no one online seems to have posted before, so I'm leaving this here. Thanks for any help you can give!

Offline joblessalexTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: I think I goofed. 5-E error W.E.R SMD rework station
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:40 am »
Issue solved! It seems to be that the wire is loose. Check all the bottom cables on the board to make sure they are tight. if you jiggle them, it turns on. Now to make a permanent repair....

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:28:28 am »
If the pump still works, then you didn't damage anything by failing to remove the screws.

Is it just the hot air gun not working? I do not know about the errors, but it is possible the element or the temperature sensor in the handle has gone open circuit. They are cheap, and if it is the case with yours, the seller should be happy to send you a replacement. You can open up the handle and check the resistance between the leads. The units do not have micro's from memory - just some Intersil chips to do the A/D and drive the display and so you could find the datasheet and find out the meaning of the error messages.  I am surprised they are putting up non-numeric codes, and there is a possibility that a display circuit is faulty. Normally, the display will either show a number, or if the voltage to the Intersil chip is too high, it shows a "1" followed by 3 blanked out digits. The "5-E" just does not sound right assuming your unit does have a Intersil chip.

You will want to get some spare heater and iron elements anyway. They are on ebay. If you cannot find them for your model, search for "Kada 852D+" on ebay. Get some decent Hakko tips as well.

Edit: Just read you have solved the problem. Excellent.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 02:30:57 am »
IMPORTANT: These units often come with the earth lug bolted to a painted metal case. Unscrew the earth lug and if the metal is painted, scrape off the paint and rebolt the earth lug.

Offline mulcmu

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 02:51:17 am »
I got the same problem with a WEP 2008D.  The problem giving this error was identified as a break in the heater element.  The unit would spin up the fan for a few seconds but seemed to throw the error whenever the feedback for a temperature increase wasn't detected.  Consistent with the problem of the original post.  Crimping the heater element back together restored operation.  So look for a bad heater element or feedback signal for troubleshooting this problem.

Sorry to dig up an old post but this was the first Google result for "hot air 5-E error" and might help out some others...

Offline fake-name

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 05:55:05 am »
I'm pretty sure those screws just hold the pump securely in shipping. If they were on the bottom of the box, you *probably* didn't even **have** to remove them at all.

Basically, the pump in these things sits on some rubber vibration mounts. Since the mounts aren't strong enough to handle the whole affair being abused in shipping, they screw the pump down to the case for shipping.

I think you could *probably* leave then in without too much trouble, it would just cause the whole thing to vibrate a lot more, and connectors could come loose over time.

Pop the top off, make sure everything is seated properly, and you'll likely be fine.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 07:18:30 am »
Yep, the pump is on rubber mounts to reduce vibration.
However, because of that, the pump prone to moving around during transit and ripping the rubber pads off.
So they put temporary screws in the bottom to pull the rubber tight and stop movement during shipping.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:20:09 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf