Author Topic: Looking for some adivce, maybe guidance. Portable audio player project  (Read 131 times)

Offline afourtrackmind

• Contributor
Hi everyone,
Ive been working on my little side project for some years. And now since being out of work for the last while here, ive decided to have a crack at it again. Ive just recently had some latest revs (old now) of my design JLBPCB'd and am throwing it in the rubbish. It served as a good example of a bad example. I'm self taught with some professional experience so I'm missing a lot of knowledge, i don't know what i don't know. I do know sound. And a working amount in this field. Please bear with me when I say something stupid. Please correct me.

Im looking for ideas other than my own, I have made my mistakes and have my bias. I want to know how you would go about how what ICs you'd choose for a portable audio player. What ICs are out there these days? What combinations you'd recommend? Strategies? Maybe you have a horror story or pitfall i should avoid?

I get so lost looking though the variety of chips out there. Ideally I would be able to do everything on one IC. Pretty sure this isnt possible for what i want. So a little IC juggling is order and I think the esp32 is probably the correct choice, my programming abilities will be the biggest challenge for me.

Essential criteria:
-low power is preferable
-Reasonable ease of software design, an esp32 is where Im leaning as the backbone.
-run a small touch display and id like the us a PCB edge as a row of capacitive 'buttons'.
-It'll need DAC
-Reliable, unfussy bluetooth audio, is the esp32 up to this task?
-FM radio receiver if a core feature
-Audio playback from an SD card/storage device
-battery charge/management controller
-Internet radio(nice to have not need to have)
-DSP, also nice to have if quality and reasonably priced.
-a little bit more schmick is ok but preferably not entirely too expensive either.

Im using the PAM8406 as an amp due to the simplicity and that it runs on a single Li-Ion quite efficiently. Im open to other suggestions, especially if theres an integrated solution. I like the idea of the single cell. Its simple. No boost circuit to add noise, perhaps redundant due to the PWM amp.

Thoughts, comments, insults...
Thank you
Joel

Offline ucanel

• Regular Contributor
Re: Looking for some adivce, maybe guidance. Portable audio player project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:31:34 pm »
If you wanna do it yourself STM32F4 may be a good choice.

There are also some good and very good even extraordinary solutions.

WTV020 or similar series.
DFPlayer.
YX5300 and it's series have all the needed and more features,
if i recall correctly there is a model that supports
sd card, usb, spi flash as a memory,
have it's own onboard memory,
transfer data from pc via usb,
onboard 1-2 watt amplifier,
uart or button control pins etc.
all in one chip.
http://www.flyrontech.com/eproducts/149.html

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for some adivce, maybe guidance. Portable audio player project
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 12:20:42 am »
Hi everyone,
Ive been working on my little side project for some years. And now since being out of work for the last while here, ive decided to have a crack at it again. Ive just recently had some latest revs (old now) of my design JLBPCB'd and am throwing it in the rubbish. It served as a good example of a bad example. I'm self taught with some professional experience so I'm missing a lot of knowledge, i don't know what i don't know. I do know sound. And a working amount in this field. Please bear with me when I say something stupid. Please correct me.

Im looking for ideas other than my own, I have made my mistakes and have my bias. I want to know how you would go about how what ICs you'd choose for a portable audio player. What ICs are out there these days? What combinations you'd recommend? Strategies? Maybe you have a horror story or pitfall i should avoid?

I get so lost looking though the variety of chips out there. Ideally I would be able to do everything on one IC. Pretty sure this isnt possible for what i want. So a little IC juggling is order and I think the esp32 is probably the correct choice, my programming abilities will be the biggest challenge for me.

Essential criteria:
-low power is preferable
-Reasonable ease of software design, an esp32 is where Im leaning as the backbone.
-run a small touch display and id like the us a PCB edge as a row of capacitive 'buttons'.
-It'll need DAC
-Reliable, unfussy bluetooth audio, is the esp32 up to this task?
-FM radio receiver if a core feature
-Audio playback from an SD card/storage device
-battery charge/management controller
-Internet radio(nice to have not need to have)
-DSP, also nice to have if quality and reasonably priced.
-a little bit more schmick is ok but preferably not entirely too expensive either.

Im using the PAM8406 as an amp due to the simplicity and that it runs on a single Li-Ion quite efficiently. Im open to other suggestions, especially if theres an integrated solution. I like the idea of the single cell. Its simple. No boost circuit to add noise, perhaps redundant due to the PWM amp.

Thoughts, comments, insults...
Thank you
Joel
I’m currently working on a similar project at work. Take a look at the Microchip BM83 bluetooth module. It’s got an integrated 500mA Li-Ion charger and can work as a more-or-less one-chip solution, excluding power amp. There are also some cheaper Chinese modules with similar core functionality, but the documentation is far weaker. (The BM83 is the only name-brand bluetooth module I could find that actually makes full documentation and tools available to anyone. All the others hide that stuff for big customers only.)

Do you really need a DAC? If your sound sources all support analog audio, you can then just use a power amp with analog inputs, or you can choose sources that all output I2S digital audio, and then pair that with a power amp with I2S inputs. (The ONLY power amps I found that have 5V or less supply voltages, AND support 10W or more output power, were I2S-only.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:44:24 am by tooki »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf